5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

Ramjack

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about "leveled" trucks: They all look like they are squatting when running on an Interstate highway, except for those guys that drive 55.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Level, Shmevel...
iOqxBWQ.jpg

FWIW: Yes, this is my Frontier. No, I didn't tow like this. Idiots at my work kept dumping scrap metal in the front of the trailer.

sSPsF89.jpg

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Less capable truck once leveled. That’s a new one.

That statement is almost as silly as saying 3.92 gears get the same mpg as 3.21s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sorry if you think it is silly about leveled trucks being less capable. They can still carry or pull the same weight of stuff down the road. But they are either excessively squatted which is unsafe, or have airbags to counter that must make it much stiffer.
It is ironic you want to talk about silly things.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ride on my leveled air suspension Limited, when towing or otherwise, is softer/better than the ride in my neighbors non-air suspension Ram when he's towing (I went with him to a local scrapyard a few weeks ago to help him unload)...??

I guess the air sus, because it's a complete, four-corner system, is different than your average aftermarket rear-only airbags?

Oh wait, actually, I know what it is. It's my 3.92 gears. They are reacting to the level, and to the extra wait of the trailer, and smoothing out the ride for me. Totally forgot 3.92's can do that.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about "leveled" trucks: They all look like they are squatting when running on an Interstate highway, except for those guys that drive 55.
Mine dips into Aero so I don't think it squats, though I obviously have no way of knowing unless someone drives next to me and records it 😅

I still have about a quarter inch of rake so I might end up at a "true" level on the highway at 70+

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ride on my leveled air suspension Limited, when towing or otherwise, is softer/better than the ride in my neighbors non-air suspension Ram when he's towing (I went with him to a local scrapyard a few weeks ago to help him unload)...??

I guess the air sus, because it's a complete, four-corner system, is different than your average aftermarket rear-only airbags?

Oh wait, actually, I know what it is. It's my 3.92 gears. They are reacting to the level, and to the extra wait of the trailer, and smoothing out the ride for me. Totally forgot 3.92's can do that.
I didn't know 3.92s were magic either. Does your exhaust pipe spew fairy dust as well? unless it's Black magic! 😬

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
they are either excessively squatted which is unsafe, or have airbags to counter that must make it much stiffer.

Have you actually ridden in a 4th or 5th Gen RAM 1500 with airbags, while towing? Or are you just speaking from your imagination?

A coil spring suspension truck using all of its travel (thanks to air bags) is not going to be as rough a ride as a a coil spring truck that has lost half its suspension travel due to weight from a trailer compressing it.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
His imagination, otherwise he wouldn’t have said “must make it much stiffer”. Mine rides great when there is a load in the back with air in the bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you actually ridden in a 4th or 5th Gen RAM 1500 with airbags, while towing? Or are you just speaking from your imagination?

A coil spring suspension truck using all of its travel (thanks to air bags) is not going to be as rough a ride as a a coil spring truck that has lost half its suspension travel due to weight from a trailer compressing it.
I have not ridden in a truck with airbags pulling a heavy travel trailer. I have ridden in airbag trucks pulling not nearly as heavy and they are stiffer to me. I will say that controlling the squat is way more important than ride quality. I have thought about putting airbags on my current and past (non leveled) trucks to help with heavy loads squatting past level, but after my research and contemplating I have just installed rear spacers. I am not against airbags for controlling squat. The nice thing about airbags is that you can control the pressure to adjust the stiffness and squat to get it perfectly level. My opinion is that you want to shoot for a leveled truck after loaded up. If ride comfort suffers a bit ( which is all subjective ) then oh well. If starting from a leveled rear spring truck with airbags vs a truck with rake with airbags, there must be more pressure added to the leveled truck to keep it level which makes it stiffer. Sometimes so stiff that the full spring compression is impossible.
People can’t agree on ride quality comparing anything. I’ve been down that rabbit hole comparing 2500 vs 3500 trucks and why anyone would own a 2500. Everyone‘s
butt has a different opinion.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not ridden in a truck with airbags pulling a heavy travel trailer. I have ridden in airbag trucks pulling not nearly as heavy and they are stiffer to me. I will say that controlling the squat is way more important than ride quality. I have thought about putting airbags on my current and past (non leveled) trucks to help with heavy loads squatting past level, but after my research and contemplating I have just installed rear spacers. I am not against airbags for controlling squat. The nice thing about airbags is that you can control the pressure to adjust the stiffness and squat to get it perfectly level. My opinion is that you want to shoot for a leveled truck after loaded up. If ride comfort suffers a bit ( which is all subjective ) then oh well. If starting from a leveled rear spring truck with airbags vs a truck with rake with airbags, there must be more pressure added to the leveled truck to keep it level which makes it stiffer. Sometimes so stiff that the full spring compression is impossible.
People can’t agree on ride quality comparing anything. I’ve been down that rabbit hole comparing 2500 vs 3500 trucks and why anyone would own a 2500. Everyone‘s
butt has a different opinion.

I specifically asked about 4th Gen or 5th Gen 1500s... because they have coil spring rear suspension. How about a RAM 2500 (which also has coil spring rear)?

Experience with trucks with leaf springs and air bags need not apply. Keep your oranges away from my apples.

Also, it's hilarious that you are knocking ride quality and you have put spacers in your rear end (LOL!).

A RAM 1500 with spacers to make it level when towing versus a RAM 1500 with air bags to make it level when towing.... The truck with the air bags wins on comfort every time! The air bag truck is going to bounce off its bump stops a lot less often than the truck with spacers.

Adding an air bag to a coil spring is just the same as swapping the spring for a stiffer one. That is a much better solution for towing than sticking with a too-soft spring (for the load) and simply adding a spacer to lift the rear end up.

It's easy to understand if you imagine a load that is just heavy enough to fully compress the rear springs. With no airbags (with or without spacers to lift the rear up to level), you're riding on the bump stops at all times. Super rough. With air bags, you're not. Much nicer ride. The difference is lessened as you lighten the load and the truck with no air bags spends less and less time on the bump stops, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a rougher ride.

Air bags let you, in practical terms, make your rear springs as soft or stiff as you need for the load you are hauling. It's like having custom springs for every different load you haul. Spacers and no air bags just means you have the same soft springs all the time, no matter what you are hauling. You may be level, but you're still hiding a too-soft package in there....

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I specifically asked about 4th Gen or 5th Gen 1500s... because they have coil spring rear suspension. How about a RAM 2500 (which also has coil spring rear)?

Experience with trucks with leaf springs and air bags need not apply. Keep your oranges away from my apples.

Also, it's hilarious that you are knocking ride quality and you have put spacers in your rear end (LOL!).

A RAM 1500 with spacers to make it level when towing versus a RAM 1500 with air bags to make it level when towing.... The truck with the air bags wins on comfort every time! The air bag truck is going to bounce off its bump stops a lot less often than the truck with spacers.

Adding an air bag to a coil spring is just the same as swapping the spring for a stiffer one. That is a much better solution for towing than sticking with a too-soft spring (for the load) and simply adding a spacer to lift the rear end up.

It's easy to understand if you imagine a load that is just heavy enough to fully compress the rear springs. With no airbags (with or without spacers to lift the rear up to level), you're riding on the bump stops at all times. Super rough. With air bags, you're not. Much nicer ride. The difference is lessened as you lighten the load and the truck with no air bags spends less and less time on the bump stops, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a rougher ride.

Air bags let you, in practical terms, make your rear springs as soft or stiff as you need for the load you are hauling. It's like having custom springs for every different load you haul. Spacers and no air bags just means you have the same soft springs all the time, no matter what you are hauling. You may be level, but you're still hiding a too-soft package in there....
We are discussing ride quality and I’m not going to elaborate any more on our butts opinions. Definitely need to keep off bump stops. These trucks are soft. So soft in fact that after I put a 6’4” topper, heavy tool box, full 33 gal tank, and lots of other stuff needed, it took away most of my factory rake… before I haul anything. I don’t like starting from a leveled truck, hence spacers.

Ramjack

Reaction score
3.92 gears are good for your facial complexion as well. But you already knew that.

Users who are viewing this thread