5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

295 or 285 tires for 20inch Ram rim - Discussion

MudSticker19

Reaction score
295 65 20" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock 20 x 9's
Bilstein level

I've lost 1.5 to 2 mpg around town. Freeway is about 1mpg less. I figured as much. The tires are so much heavier than the stock tires. Unsprung weight is an efficiency and performance killer.

I can tell I've got a taller gear around town but it doesn't feel sluggish. I also don't have a terrible lead foot.

The ride is quite a bit stiffer than stock. And I like it that way. The truck handles so much better with stiffer tires and front end.

I haven't towed with it yet but I'm pumped to give these truck tires a workout. The stockers were so damn squishy with the trailer hooked up.

img_2859-jpeg.84564
thanks for the picture! this is exactly the tire I am looking at. Do you have any rubbing at all?

GATORB8

Reaction score
Bilstein level

I've lost 1.5 to 2 mpg around town. Freeway is about 1mpg less. I figured as much. The tires are so much heavier than the stock tires. Unsprung weight is an efficiency and performance killer.

I can tell I've got a taller gear around town but it doesn't feel sluggish. I also don't have a terrible lead foot.

The ride is quite a bit stiffer than stock. And I like it that way. The truck handles so much better with stiffer tires and front end.

I haven't towed with it yet but I'm pumped to give these truck tires a workout. The stockers were so damn squishy with the trailer hooked up.

img_2859-jpeg.84564
I've got a set due in on Saturday. Did you need to any trimming/bending to prevent rubbing, or were you good with just the level?

bwilks2

Reaction score
Finally getting around to mods on my 2019 5th gen... I think im going with the Mopar lift (if its available anytime soon) along with the hellwig rear sway bar due to everything i read saying it runs a little loose on the back end. 295/60R20 tires ( keeping stock rims cause I like them and more cost effective). Anybody ever run Pro Comp A/T sport tires?

GATORB8

Reaction score
RGs went on at lunch time. No rub on standard highway/parking lot driving back to the office.

MotoFab 3" Front, 2" Rear - Standard No-Air No-ORP Suspension
Stock 20x9s no spacers.
295/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Attachments

• 176AC9E7-9DBC-4355-A0C3-DAD808D2F4BC.jpeg
    176AC9E7-9DBC-4355-A0C3-DAD808D2F4BC.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Bilstein level

img_2859-jpeg.84564
Did you have to do any trimming to fit th 295/65s
This is th same size I’m getting for 20x9 venomrex with a +18

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
RGs went on at lunch time. No rub on standard highway/parking lot driving back to the office.

MotoFab 3" Front, 2" Rear - Standard No-Air No-ORP Suspension
Stock 20x9s no spacers.
295/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Any rubbing since installed?

GATORB8

Reaction score
Any rubbing since installed?
No, good with no rubbing or trimming lock to lock.

Mine are on stock wheels, the closest spot is the little mud flap/“spat” on the rear of the wheel openings. There’s a pretty easy listed fix by bending the metal tab that’s holds it, check out the sticky.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
thanks for the picture! this is exactly the tire I am looking at. Do you have any rubbing at all?
If I have the full fam in the cab (6 of us) and some stuff loaded in the bed I get a slight rub at full lock in reverse. It's happened twice. I'm not worried about it. I can work around that.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Did you have to do any trimming to fit th 295/65s
This is th same size I’m getting for 20x9 venomrex with a +18

No trimming.

I just noted in another post "If I have the full fam in the cab (6 of us) and some stuff loaded in the bed I get a slight rub at full lock in reverse. It's happened twice. I'm not worried about it. I can work around that."

sdramsey24

Reaction score
I've got a set due in on Saturday. Did you need to any trimming/bending to prevent rubbing, or were you good with just the level?
If I have the full fam in the cab (6 of us) and some stuff loaded in the bed I get a slight rub at full lock in reverse. It's happened twice. I'm not worried about it. I can work around that.

GATORB8

Reaction score
Beat you to the install. Appreciate your original post, got me to pull the trigger.

djgiron

Reaction score
I'm wrestling between the 275's and the 285's Ridge Grapplers...I'm getting the Rough Country 2" Level and I have the Off Road Package...with the 285s being wider I'm guessing the ride would be a little better.

So I for sure can get the 285's on 2'' level without any rubbing???

Yes, I have 275’s no lift (air suspension) and only get minor rubbing at lowest setting at full lock in reverse, so going with 285’s should be fine with a 2” lift.

mcp6530

Reaction score
Agree, they aren't terribly large looking. I went with larger tires on my previous car/Jeep and loved the look but not the loss in MPG.

So looks are second for me, as long as they don't look worse than factory. My truck needs to ride well and tow well, all while getting good traction. Not looking for all terrains or that beefy look because I know it will reduce my mileage and ride.
what did you end up getting? pics? I want a good looking tire but I need it to be quiet too. Was considering the Toyo AT3's but size I want is only available in LT and was trying to stay with p size. LT's will ride much harder.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
what size did you get? are they LT rated or p?

Exact line item on my invoice:

Michelin Defender LTX M/S 113T BSW 275/55 R20

I believe you can get either P or LT in a 20 inch rim.

looked em up - those look pretty tame; i'm sure they are quiet!

Yes they are a really nice "highway cruiser" tire. Haven't tried towing anything significant with them yet, but should be towing within a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread