5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

295 or 285 tires for 20inch Ram rim - Discussion

nandalora

Reaction score
If you are going with the stock height...you may be able to get away with 11.5 width...not sure if 12.5 width is possible without spacers.
I have a 2.5in level and am running 285/65R20 at 34.6 height and 11.2 width.
I feel like the 285 Nitto’s ride better then the stock 275 tires...
Hey Boxer, your post says 285/65R20 but your Sig says 275/65R20. Can you confirm what's in your pictures? They look great!

BB5G

Reaction score
All of your trucks look great! I am considering a 2" level with the stock 20" but am torn between Nitto Terra or the Ridge grapplers. 285/65-20 or 275/65-20...... or even 295/65-20

I do pull a 32ft Grand Design camper so i am really having issues deciding what to do.......

Do any of you pull a camper? and does the rear sag really bad with the level kit on it?

thanks!

nandalora

Reaction score
All of your trucks look great! I am considering a 2" level with the stock 20" but am torn between Nitto Terra or the Ridge grapplers. 285/65-20 or 275/65-20...... or even 295/65-20

I do pull a 32ft Grand Design camper so i am really having issues deciding what to do.......

Do any of you pull a camper? and does the rear sag really bad with the level kit on it?

thanks!

I can't speak for rear sag as I have air suspension, but I do think there's value in E load rating tires if you tow. The SL rated tires on my ORG truck are squishy which is fine driving unloaded but when towing I'd like more stability.

As for deciding between Terra and Ridge, my $0.02 is the tread pattern on the RG does not look good for snow and wet, but there are many on here with these tires that can chime in. I am considering the TGs for when I upgrade. Probably 275/65 or 295/60, I think 34" is perfect.

One unique thing that Nitto offers is the TG in 275/65R20 with E load or SL load rating. But again for towing Id stick with E.

BTW, nice camper! Grand Design is sweet.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
If I have the full fam in the cab (6 of us) and some stuff loaded in the bed I get a slight rub at full lock in reverse. It's happened twice. I'm not worried about it. I can work around that.
Update: after the 1” rear spacer I got about 1/2“ more lift in front as well. After a week of towing and camping no rub at all in any situation. Very pleased!

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Based on your signature it sounds like you do some towing. What kind of weight do you pull? Any performance issues in towing with the larger and heavier tires?

I did about 300 miles for a camping trip this week with the new setup (level and tires.) I pull a Cherokee Wolf 274DBH travel trailer. It’s about 6,000 pounds And 27 feet long. I also tow our 19 foot family boat. Both pull much better than stock. The rear spacer helped a bit. I also run Firestone HD airbags. I think the biggest impact was the tires. With the travel trailer when I was fully loaded headed out for a trip I could feel the tires were “squishy” with cross winds or bad pavement on the freeway. The Nitto’s solved all of that. I can’t tell you how pleased I am with the towing performance. Highly recommended For similar use.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
Anyone one have any recommendations / pictures of your truck having 295/60r20 or 285/60r20 tires. I know there is not a huge difference in height between the two. A 285 will ride "lighter" than a 295, yet the 295 looks better/meatier. Just curious to what width majority of yall are putting on these 20 inch rims, and the quality of the ride.
31F4DE66-73C4-404C-8536-2BAD7E06432F.jpeg
This is a 295 60 20 on stock rims no spacer. Bilstein 5100 front leveling set at #5. No ORP. No rub at all and 1/2” away from UCA’s.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
That looks pretty darn close to what my truck looked like before I added the rear spacer. I was 3/8” lower in the rear. Have you measured your fender well heights? I’d be curious to know where you’re at.
BTW - really nice looking truck!
View attachment 95727

WyoRam21

Reaction score
That looks pretty darn close to what my truck looked like before I added the rear spacer. I was 3/8” lower in the rear. Have you measured your fender well heights? I’d be curious to know where you’re at.
BTW - really nice looking truck!
View attachment 95727
I will do that in the am. That road slopes to the rear a little. I'm actually about a half inch low in the front. Thank you for the compliment. Now to just tint the front windows to match the rears.

BB5G

Reaction score
I can't speak for rear sag as I have air suspension, but I do think there's value in E load rating tires if you tow. The SL rated tires on my ORG truck are squishy which is fine driving unloaded but when towing I'd like more stability.

As for deciding between Terra and Ridge, my $0.02 is the tread pattern on the RG does not look good for snow and wet, but there are many on here with these tires that can chime in. I am considering the TGs for when I upgrade. Probably 275/65 or 295/60, I think 34" is perfect.

One unique thing that Nitto offers is the TG in 275/65R20 with E load or SL load rating. But again for towing Id stick with E.

BTW, nice camper! Grand Design is sweet.
Hey thanks for the input i appreciate it! i decided on the RG 285/65-20 with the bilstein 5100 front coil overs https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/...ont-lift-adjustable-shocks-for-2019-ram-1500/

they came in 3 days. Ill post a pic when its all done! RAM.jpg

BB5G

Reaction score
Also ordered the 5100 rear shocks from bilstein hope i dont have to do 1" spacer so it wont sag. If anyone has any input feel free to chime in...... Thanks

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Also ordered the 5100 rear shocks from bilstein hope i dont have to do 1" spacer so it wont sag. If anyone has any input feel free to chime in...... Thanks
Highly recommend the Firestone HD 1,000 air bags. Helped the sag when loaded for me. Best $75 I have spent for the towing rig.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
I will do that in the am. That road slopes to the rear a little. I'm actually about a half inch low in the front. Thank you for the compliment. Now to just tint the front windows to match the rears.

I tinted my front windows and windshield. I loved it so much I did the same on my wife’s car.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
How does it ride without replacing the UCA's? I want to keep the ride as close to stock and am debating if I do the 5100's with no control arms or a spacer control arm level?
I got the UCA's from the Mopar level kit. They were super cheap and provide additional travel over stock. I can't remember what I paid but it was under $100 and worth it for me. I'd offer that if I was going to be doing any more serious off roading than I do (river/lake beds for camping and fishing, fire roads, logger roads etc.) I would get one of the more expensive offerings from RC or Fox.

On to the ride.

The 5100's are a whole different deal compared to stock. Stock rides like my Grandmother's 1973 Buick Riviera. SOFT. The Bilsteins are much more positive/stiff. I really like the 5100 ride myself but it is going to change the dynamics of how the truck corners, stops, handles bumps, tows, etc.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
How does it ride without replacing the UCA's? I want to keep the ride as close to stock and am debating if I do the 5100's with no control arms or a spacer control arm level?
My UCA's angle looks the exact same as stock. I asked the installed to check them as well. he had taken pictures before and after and there is no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread