5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

295 or 285 tires for 20inch Ram rim - Discussion

Truckguy

Reaction score
Good call on heating that section up and bending it out of the way. Hopefully they stay put. They are pretty flimsy overall but it’s hard to say if that’s by design to hold up to the elements or just not a high quality product?
Trying to decide on a tire size soon and I noticed you have the 3.21 gears. How has it been going up to a LT tire with those gears. I have the 3.21 as well.

Nels

Reaction score

Dynamite

Reaction score
Trying to decide what size tire to replace the stock 275's on 20 inch stock rims. 2" Ready lift leveling kit installed. Considering 285, 295, 305. 60 or 65 ratio...so many choices! Pretty sure I want the BFG's. Your truck looks great with the 285/65/20. Any complaints?

No complaints...

I had already used these tires on previous vehicles. Very good quality, soft on the road, an aggressive look and for sure think I would buy them again.

Attachments

• 20201117_072203.jpg
    20201117_072203.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 539

MoparGuy

Reaction score
Trying to decide on a tire size soon and I noticed you have the 3.21 gears. How has it been going up to a LT tire with those gears. I have the 3.21 as well.
I know a lot of guys say you’ll have issues going to bigger tires in general and only having 3.21 gears. I haven’t noticed any issues on performance or acceleration but maybe the extra 130 foot pounds from the etorque help offset that? My truck definitely doesn’t ride as nice as when stock but I knew it wouldn’t. I only lost about 1 MPG city which is most of my driving. I love the way it looks and how it sits so I’m very happy with how it turned out.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Is your speedometer recalibrated? Dealer said they used to be able to do that, but as of the ‘19 not anymore. I don’t know if the odometer is off now too, but on the mpg gauge the mileage went down from 20+ to 16 on a good day. Against the wind and/or uphill on the highway and the truck shifts back to 7th gear. Mine is also 3.21 but no etorque. I haven’t noticed loss of acceleration (don’t think I ever floored it at a stoplight anyway).

Nels

Reaction score
No complaints...

I had already used these tires on previous vehicles. Very good quality, soft on the road, an aggressive look and for sure think I would buy them again.
Did you do anything different for your spare?

pwhfmtx

Reaction score
I have the 3.21 w/eTorque. My factory stock tire is 33" on 20" rims. They are much lighter than the aftermarket Rims and All Terrain M&S tires I ran for about 5k miles. Those tires were also slightly wider (305/55R20) than my stock but the diameter was the same and the rim size was the same. I experienced non-towing gas mileage max in the 14MPG range and 7th gear highway with upshift/downshift to and from 8th all the time.

In my case, the much heavier tire/rim combination is what I attribute the issue to for the shifting and MPG. With the stock combination, I hold 8th unless a steep long grade and the ECO comes on at almost any speed/gear. My MPG (FUELLY not the lying MPG on the dash) high is just under 19MPG with TX/OK highway speeds up to 80MPH on adaptive cruise.

They are also for sale at a big discount off new in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

MoparGuy

Reaction score
Is your speedometer recalibrated? Dealer said they used to be able to do that, but as of the ‘19 not anymore. I don’t know if the odometer is off now too, but on the mpg gauge the mileage went down from 20+ to 16 on a good day. Against the wind and/or uphill on the highway and the truck shifts back to 7th gear. Mine is also 3.21 but no etorque. I haven’t noticed loss of acceleration (don’t think I ever floored it at a stoplight anyway).
I had a dealer recalibrate my speedo this past summer. I know I lost MPGs on the Highway I’d say at least 2-3 per but I hardly ever get on the Highway except for the minute it takes me to get to the next exit daily going to and from work.

Jsyjud

Reaction score
The dealer can recalibrate your speedo. They have to sell you a service contract first which then mopar gives them a flash to upload for your tire size. My dealer said they couldn't do it either and I literally had to tell them how to do it and then they did it.

Krootz

Reaction score
Service contract? Now that seems a little egregious.

Is it like "hey you brought us unknown tire/wheel combo that we are trusting the tire size you gave us"
or is it like
"we must do any/all future work to this vehicle for warranty to remain valid"
???

Jsyjud

Reaction score
Service contract? Now that seems a little egregious.

Is it like "hey you brought us unknown tire/wheel combo that we are trusting the tire size you gave us"
or is it like
"we must do any/all future work to this vehicle for warranty to remain valid"
???
They measure the tire on the truck and will do up to a 35 inch tire. Its $125. The contract is just for the speedo recalibration for 2 months so u can bring it back and have them recalibrate if its wrong. I'd rather pay them a d to have to worry about it then having a third party recalibrating.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I want to replace my factory 18's with 20 inch rims/tires. Currently looking at Michelin Defender LTX M/S in a 275/55/R20 size.

My goal is to keep tire size "factory" (so don't want to go taller, I'm ok with a little wider but not much), and I also want to be able to pull my RV which is about 5000 to 6000 pounds.

Any opinions on this tire? Will it look funny? (You all are looking into really wide tires so I'm wondering if I'm nuts or missing something). Tread life is not important, I want a quiet ride and great traction in 3 seasons, decent in snow is fine.

Not an expert on tires. Any comments welcome!

Jsyjud

Reaction score
I want to replace my factory 18's with 20 inch rims/tires. Currently looking at Michelin Defender LTX M/S in a 275/55/R20 size.

My goal is to keep tire size "factory" (so don't want to go taller, I'm ok with a little wider but not much), and I also want to be able to pull my RV which is about 5000 to 6000 pounds.

Any opinions on this tire? Will it look funny? (You all are looking into really wide tires so I'm wondering if I'm nuts or missing something). Tread life is not important, I want a quiet ride and great traction in 3 seasons, decent in snow is fine.

Not an expert on tires. Any comments welcome!
A 275 is 10.8" wide and a 285 is 11.2". Id go for a 285 but that's just my opinion. The trucks with 20s come with 275/55 and I think they look a tad small on the truck.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A 275 is 10.8" wide and a 285 is 11.2". Id go for a 285 but that's just my opinion. The trucks with 20s come with 275/55 and I think they look a tad small on the truck.

Agree, they aren't terribly large looking. I went with larger tires on my previous car/Jeep and loved the look but not the loss in MPG.

So looks are second for me, as long as they don't look worse than factory. My truck needs to ride well and tow well, all while getting good traction. Not looking for all terrains or that beefy look because I know it will reduce my mileage and ride.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
I’ll bring up the contract thing next oil change. Ive read up about the aftermarket programmers an tuners, but it seems they tend to fix one thing and break something else. Truck has all the goodies such as helicopter view, stay in your lane, adaptive cruise, GPS, self parking thing and what have you (I should try that out one of these days).
Is my odometer off now too?

mp1

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys say you’ll have issues going to bigger tires in general and only having 3.21 gears. I haven’t noticed any issues on performance or acceleration but maybe the extra 130 foot pounds from the etorque help offset that? My truck definitely doesn’t ride as nice as when stock but I knew it wouldn’t. I only lost about 1 MPG city which is most of my driving. I love the way it looks and how it sits so I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Agreed. My mpg dropped almost 1.5 in the city after adding the bigger, heavier tires (went from 32" to 33.5") but I don't mind.

With those new tires, my gear ratio went from 3.21 to 3.06. I am looking into possibly getting a travel trailer and if I do, I will probably factor in the cost (gulp) to get the ratio back up. As of now, I do notice it staying in gear longer, especially going up hills.

Side note - BILSTEIN 8112/8100s will be installed on my truck soon :)

sdramsey24

Reaction score
295 65 20" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock 20 x 9's
Bilstein level

I've lost 1.5 to 2 mpg around town. Freeway is about 1mpg less. I figured as much. The tires are so much heavier than the stock tires. Unsprung weight is an efficiency and performance killer.

I can tell I've got a taller gear around town but it doesn't feel sluggish. I also don't have a terrible lead foot.

The ride is quite a bit stiffer than stock. And I like it that way. The truck handles so much better with stiffer tires and front end.

I haven't towed with it yet but I'm pumped to give these truck tires a workout. The stockers were so damn squishy with the trailer hooked up.

img_2859-jpeg.84564

Nels

Reaction score
295 65 20" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock 20 x 9's
Bilstein level

I've lost 1.5 to 2 mpg around town. Freeway is about 1mpg less. I figured as much. The tires are so much heavier than the stock tires. Unsprung weight is an efficiency and performance killer.

I can tell I've got a taller gear around town but it doesn't feel sluggish. I also don't have a terrible lead foot.

The ride is quite a bit stiffer than stock. And I like it that way. The truck handles so much better with stiffer tires and front end.

I haven't towed with it yet but I'm pumped to give these truck tires a workout. The stockers were so damn squishy with the trailer hooked up.

img_2859-jpeg.84564
Based on your signature it sounds like you do some towing. What kind of weight do you pull? Any performance issues in towing with the larger and heavier tires?

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Based on your signature it sounds like you do some towing. What kind of weight do you pull? Any performance issues in towing with the larger and heavier tires?

I haven't pulled my travel trailer with the new tires yet. I can't wait to give that a run. I'll update once I pull the trailer and the boat.

Users who are viewing this thread