5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram 1500 Current Owners - Discussion, Feedback, and Problems

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I regret not taking a picture.
Got a call from my dealer that the brake controller kit is in. 82219240AA
1- dash switch is the same
2- The control box is twice the size of the older ones, only one input
There was a bag of many wires and a harness. I guess you have to splice stuff!
no instructions, the QR code went to a Mopar site - no instruction found

THe dealer's tech is clueless as to how this whole jumble of mess is supposed to work.
they said that they would "investigate"

Do you have access to any of the details about the trailer brake controller on 2025?

thanks
We have zero information, parts catalog doesn't pull the 82219240AA as a part number/kit when searching by year, make, model. It doesn't show in our accessory parts catalog either. Zero available through parts, 21 in process by supplier, 6 on special order by dealers. The clueless tech will need to contact star or Mopar accessories to get the actual install directions.

azzx

Reaction score
Alrighty -- it boggles my mind why RAM took a simple plug-and-play device and made in to a Mangolian cluster!
My dealer finally got the installation instructions from RAM - 17 pages!

I have pasted few of the pages below. They want $1000 to install. and, I will be the first guinea pig!
I think that I will wait - I don't always want to the first!
It is behind the rear seat
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 31.jpg

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Alrighty -- it boggles my mind why RAM took a simple plug-and-play device and made in to a Mangolian cluster!

I have pasted few of the pages below. They want $1000 to install. and, I will be the first guinea pig!
View attachment 184721 View attachment 184722 View attachment 184723 View attachment 184724 View attachment 184725
~$1400 for a $275 factory option is insane…

azzx

Reaction score
Yes - it makes perfect sense to get it from the factory. I had no options, my last RAM was totaled, 2024s on all of the local dealer lots had 3.21 gears, and special ordering a 2025 from the factory was 3-4 months out. All of the 2025 (only big horn & Laramie) on the lot had no controller.
Most dealers do not order many options on big horn/Laramie to force buyers to higher trim levels ---

Anyway, this sucks a big time, I can cough-up 1000 for this, however, don't want to be the first owner to be experimented on!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 184721 View attachment 184722 View attachment 184723 View attachment 184724 View attachment 184725
If you have the full set of instructions, you might try going to a local car audio shop and ask what they would charge for install, if you don't have the ability to do it yourself.

azzx

Reaction score
Tempting, however, given the fact dealers have not installed one so far, and it has to be programmed by the dealer, saving few bucks does not make sense to me.
There are 10+ wires that have to be pinned in to the proper connector.
My issue is with RAM's **** poor design, taking a simple plug and play and turn it in to a potential mess.
As an X engineer, I cannot believe that any mass produced product going down the assembly line requires these many steps to install a trailer brake controller!!

To me , and I hope that I am right, this a stop gap measure for now until RAM figures this out.

I am all good with the new engine, etc. etc. etc. -- **** like this makes me (fruitlessly) question my decision to buy a 25.
@RamCares

Last edited:

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That’s actually a pretty easy DIY install (minus the programming) for anyone else that needs to add it. Looks to be cheaper to buy the parts of the kit separately- $40 for the switch, $130 for the controller, and about $50 to custom build the exact same wiring they supply. Then have the dealer flash sales code XHC (probably an hour labor).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an X engineer, I cannot believe that any mass produced product going down the assembly line requires these many steps to install a trailer brake controller!!
It's not installed as a kit on the assembly line, it would be a different wire harness.

We had a tech advisor in house today, he said some trucks have the wiring installed, just need it install parts and program.

azzx

Reaction score
That’s actually a pretty easy DIY install (minus the programming) for anyone else that needs to add it. Looks to be cheaper to buy the parts of the kit separately- $40 for the switch, $130 for the controller, and about $50 to custom build the exact same wiring they supply. Then have the dealer flash sales code XHC (probably an hour labor).
More details please

cpetku

Reaction score
I have pasted few of the pages below.
The instructions for remove and discard really caught my eye. Has the inteligence of service reps really slipped so far as to have to publish work instructions in comic book form? I'd hate to see how they document changing main bearings or piston rings. The coolant or oil change instructions probably show a dead guy on the floor and a do not drink sign...

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
The instructions for remove and discard really caught my eye. Has the inteligence of service reps really slipped so far as to have to publish work instructions in comic book form? I'd hate to see how they document changing main bearings or piston rings. The coolant or oil change instructions probably show a dead guy on the floor and a do not drink sign...
and the box the parts came it would say ACME on the side.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
More details please
Since you already have the kit, just install it yourself- remove the back trim panel, swap out the new controller with your existing one, and insert the 9 wires into those two connectors on the back wall. Then have the dealer flash the sales code.

azzx

Reaction score
Complete instructions below. Still thinking about what to do.

Attachments

• 82219232AA 82219240AA K6865176AA Rev March 12.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread