5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram 1500 Current Owners - Discussion, Feedback, and Problems

My data.

2025 LoneStar SST
Miles: 4020

Problems:
- CEL around 2,400 miles that went away on its own. Took it in and
- Transmission stutters when taking off from start.
- Uconnect periodically will not let my phone connect and I have to restart the head unit.

Was given this information after taking it to the dealership for the cel.
IMG_7853.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume that when Stellantis gets its act together, they will have an update for the jerky shifting.
My 2019 had the same issue and a software update fixed the shifting

Well, today I learned the negative of not having a dipstick.

I took my truck in for it's first oil change this morning. I left dealership and headed out to make sales calls around the area. Later in the morning I was about 40 minutes from town when the low oil level light popped on saying to pull over and add a quart of oil. I immediately stopped and looked under to see if there were any apparent leaks and I didn’t see anything. But, being that there is no dipstick I could not tell how low it really was. I called the dealership immediately that did the oil change and told him about it. They said to bring it in right away and they would get me in.

A few minutes later the service tech called me back to explain what happened. He said the Hurricane engine in the Wagoneers takes a little less oil during an oil change than what the Hurricane does in a RAM pick up. He said it was a newer service tech doing the oil change and he put in the amount he's always done for Wagoneers and didn’t think to check what was needed for my pick up, even though this was the first time he was doing a new RAM pickup. He assured me that it was less than a quart that it was low and to bring it in and they would take care of me.

They got me in right away, filled the rest and it seems like everything is ok again. Although before the oil change the oil level gauge showed it was on the mark before full and now it's in the middle of the gauge. He said the gauge doesn't show exact amount of oil, only that it's either low, sitting good or full. I'm not sure I completely buy that and may ask around. When it showed the low oil light alert it was one dash above low.

They did throw in 4 free oil changes to make up for the inconvenience, which was nice. But not being able to see where the level of oil is with a dipstick was nerve wracking.

It seems like I'm only crapping on my pickup and RAM but I do truly love this truck. It's unfortunate that it's my first brand new vehicle ever and I'm getting these little issues but overall I still love it.

Well, today I learned the negative of not having a dipstick.

I took my truck in for it's first oil change this morning. I left dealership and headed out to make sales calls around the area. Later in the morning I was about 40 minutes from town when the low oil level light popped on saying to pull over and add a quart of oil. I immediately stopped and looked under to see if there were any apparent leaks and I didn’t see anything. But, being that there is no dipstick I could not tell how low it really was. I called the dealership immediately that did the oil change and told him about it. They said to bring it in right away and they would get me in.

A few minutes later the service tech called me back to explain what happened. He said the Hurricane engine in the Wagoneers takes a little less oil during an oil change than what the Hurricane does in a RAM pick up. He said it was a newer service tech doing the oil change and he put in the amount he's always done for Wagoneers and didn’t think to check what was needed for my pick up, even though this was the first time he was doing a new RAM pickup. He assured me that it was less than a quart that it was low and to bring it in and they would take care of me.

They got me in right away, filled the rest and it seems like everything is ok again. Although before the oil change the oil level gauge showed it was on the mark before full and now it's in the middle of the gauge. He said the gauge doesn't show exact amount of oil, only that it's either low, sitting good or full. I'm not sure I completely buy that and may ask around. When it showed the low oil light alert it was one dash above low.

They did throw in 4 free oil changes to make up for the inconvenience, which was nice. But not being able to see where the level of oil is with a dipstick was nerve wracking.

It seems like I'm only crapping on my pickup and RAM but I do truly love this truck. It's unfortunate that it's my first brand new vehicle ever and I'm getting these little issues but overall I still love it.
Wagoneer hurricane engines are the same as the ones in the Ram, and they all take 7.5 quarts.
Sounds like an advantage of the oil level system to me- dealership puts the incorrect amount of oil in according to the owners manual, customer drives off believing they received a proper oil change. How many people do you honestly think *correctly* check their oil level with their dipstick after having someone change their oil? (I know, I know…of course, YOU always did before)
In this case, the customer can continue not checking their oil after someone changes their oil for them, but the advantage is, they’ll soon be alerted if not enough oil was added, or too much was added, whereas if they just had a dipstick (that they never check anyway), they would never know until it’s too late.

One week for my 25 sst in the dealership for the rough start CEL cylinder misfire issue. They said today that they’re going to be switching out two plugs and two ignition coils. Fingers crossed I’ll get my truck back this week and it’ll be smooth sailing from here on out…

Thankfully they got me a loaner for the week

Bought my 2025 Laramie three weeks ago. Have put 3000 miles on it mainly because it's so fun to drive. I miss the sound of the Hemi I had in my 2022 but this 3.0 seems to have more torque and HP. The twin turbochargers really help it at high altitude-went up and down the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70, 11,000 feet and no strain. 3.55 rear axle. Has everything I wanted. The rear seats recline??? So far only one issue-it loves 7th gear on the highway and won't grab 8th until its at or above 75 mph. Thanks for letting me in.

Attachments

• P1020374.JPG
    P1020374.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 21
Wagoneer hurricane engines are the same as the ones in the Ram, and they all take 7.5 quarts.
Sounds like an advantage of the oil level system to me- dealership puts the incorrect amount of oil in according to the owners manual, customer drives off believing they received a proper oil change. How many people do you honestly think *correctly* check their oil level with their dipstick after having someone change their oil? (I know, I know…of course, YOU always did before)
In this case, the customer can continue not checking their oil after someone changes their oil for them, but the advantage is, they’ll soon be alerted if not enough oil was added, or too much was added, whereas if they just had a dipstick (that they never check anyway), they would never know until it’s too late.
The funny thing about dipstick posts is that when I used to use a quick change place, they always showed me the dipstick and that the oil fill was correct (and clean). So with no dipstick, what't the chance of the quick change places screwing up someones truck a few years down the road? Once I went to a diesel requiring Mobil 1 ESP, I always had the dealer change it or did it myself. I didn't trust the quick oil change places to have or use the correct product. A DPF is a terrible thing to waste...

So with no dipstick, what't the chance of the quick change places screwing up someones truck a few years down the road?
According to the first hand experience of the 2025 owner above, it’ll be only a few hours before it’s realized- long before a quart low would do any harm at all to the engine, and far from a few years down the road.
If the level is checked correctly with the gauge screen procedure according to the owners manual, it would be realized in a few minutes, just like when checking with a dipstick.

It’s almost as if…they made the oil change process the simplest maintenance item someone can do, and yet, people still want to make it into the most over complicated process.

According to the first hand experience of the 2025 owner above, it’ll be only a few hours before it’s realized- long before a quart low would do any harm at all to the engine, and far from a few years down the road.
If the level is checked correctly with the gauge screen procedure according to the owners manual, it would be realized in a few minutes, just like when checking with a dipstick.

It’s almost as if…they made the oil change process the simplest maintenance item someone can do, and yet, people still want to make it into the most over complicated process.
Simple as in filling it and immediately checking the dipstick?

Simple as in filling it and immediately checking the dipstick?
For those that don’t believe the manufacturer fill capacity is correct, a one quart bottle of oil doesn’t actually contain one quart of oil, or the minuscule amount of oil left after draining is going critically affect dumping in the called for capacity of new oil, then yes, it’s actually easier than checking a dipstick when comparing the CORRECT check procedure between the two.

2025 with the level indicator:
IMG_0827.jpeg

Hemi equipped dipstick check:
IMG_0828.jpeg

So, they both need to be on level ground.
Crosshatch zones, and level indicator for 1 quart high or low can be a wash, since if there’s no alert from the level indicator, it’s in the “safe zone”.
For the level indicator check, the oil temp needs to be above 120°, shut engine off and cycle to run, wait 4 minutes, start truck and recheck. No need to pop the hood and pull out a dipstick.

For the dipstick, check 5 minutes after fully warmed up engine is shut down, which takes longer to get to temp than it takes the oil temp to reach 120°.
…And I’m sure the people at the QUICK oil change places take the time to follow that procedure to show the customer the correct level on the dipstick…

The funny thing about this oil situation is I specifically took the truck to our local RAM dealer instead of the place I usually go to for oil changes because I figured the RAM dealer would have more experience doing the oil change on the Hurricane.

Bottom line to no dip stick issue in my old humble opinion. We use the dip stick as a means to check the work being performed during an oil change procedure and monitor its level to prevent engine failure. Was it refilled to the correct level and how does the oil look, clean or dirty?

Without this quality control tool how do we ensure the oil change was performed correctly so we don't wind up down the road far away from town and start having overheating issues, loss of compression due to excessive cylinder wear or possibly engine seizing.

Does anybody know for sure what recourse 2025 truck owners have when the above issues happens and we need to go after the oil change company to prove it was their fault that caused these issues?

Are there any "oil level" data logs the truck automatically generates that we can access to show the oil level over a period of time before and after the oil change?

Should we take pictures of the display after following the before mentioned procedure for checking oil levels before oil change and after oil change and say 1000 miles after an oil change. This might be the only evidence we can provide should costly repairs result from low oil and this winds up in court to recover repair cost. I don't think any repairs associated to low engine oil will be covered under warranty?

FYI here is a nice short video showing results of over filling oil, this will be much more noticeable and easy to prove given the symptoms of a over fill.

Dip sticks give us that warm fuzzy feeling of oil levels because it is mechanical and visual test, now we have to rely on electronics that is prone to failure or computer glitches giving incorrect readings. NO warm fuzzy feeling with electronics.......

Bottom line to no dip stick issue in my old humble opinion. We use the dip stick as a means to check the work being performed during an oil change procedure and monitor its level to prevent engine failure. Was it refilled to the correct level and how does the oil look, clean or dirty?

Without this quality control tool how do we ensure the oil change was performed correctly so we don't wind up down the road far away from town and start having overheating issues, loss of compression due to excessive cylinder wear or possibly engine seizing.

Does anybody know for sure what recourse 2025 truck owners have when the above issues happens and we need to go after the oil change company to prove it was their fault that caused these issues?

Are there any "oil level" data logs the truck automatically generates that we can access to show the oil level over a period of time before and after the oil change?

Should we take pictures of the display after following the before mentioned procedure for checking oil levels before oil change and after oil change and say 1000 miles after an oil change. This might be the only evidence we can provide should costly repairs result from low oil and this winds up in court to recover repair cost. I don't think any repairs associated to low engine oil will be covered under warranty?

FYI here is a nice short video showing results of over filling oil, this will be much more noticeable and easy to prove given the symptoms of a over fill.

Dip sticks give us that warm fuzzy feeling of oil levels because it is mechanical and visual test, now we have to rely on electronics that is prone to failure or computer glitches giving incorrect readings. NO warm fuzzy feeling with electronics.......
To play devils advocate the only time I’ve ever used my dip stick is when I had a beater that leaked oil to make sure I wasn’t running low. This sensor will tell me that. I don’t do my own oil changes, and haven’t for years. The way I look at it If there was an issue with the amount of oil added then bring it back to the shop. If the wrong oil was added and the truck takes a **** because of it save your records. These new trucks record everything even if you don’t think they do. I’m sure the computer can sense the kind of oil and gas used.

To play devils advocate the only time I’ve ever used my dip stick is when I had a beater that leaked oil to make sure I wasn’t running low. This sensor will tell me that. I don’t do my own oil changes, and haven’t for years. The way I look at it If there was an issue with the amount of oil added then bring it back to the shop. If the wrong oil was added and the truck takes a **** because of it save your records. These new trucks record everything even if you don’t think they do. I’m sure the computer can sense the kind of oil and gas used.
The computer can't check if the oil is clean or dirty, or was even really changed vs the oil life monitor reset...

For those that don’t believe the manufacturer fill capacity is correct, a one quart bottle of oil doesn’t actually contain one quart of oil, or the minuscule amount of oil left after draining is going critically affect dumping in the called for capacity of new oil, then yes, it’s actually easier than checking a dipstick when comparing the CORRECT check procedure between the two.

2025 with the level indicator:
View attachment 189505

Hemi equipped dipstick check:
View attachment 189506

So, they both need to be on level ground.
Crosshatch zones, and level indicator for 1 quart high or low can be a wash, since if there’s no alert from the level indicator, it’s in the “safe zone”.
For the level indicator check, the oil temp needs to be above 120°, shut engine off and cycle to run, wait 4 minutes, start truck and recheck. No need to pop the hood and pull out a dipstick.

For the dipstick, check 5 minutes after fully warmed up engine is shut down, which takes longer to get to temp than it takes the oil temp to reach 120°.
…And I’m sure the people at the QUICK oil change places take the time to follow that procedure to show the customer the correct level on the dipstick…
I change the oil in my truck myself.

Dipsticks have done fine for years in vehicles and boats, but to each there own...

OMG, that explains why new vehicles cost so much. The sensors can detect the brand and quantity of oil and and gas used. The dealers should be able to use such data to show how bad fuel caused some of the misfire vehicles and even state where it was distributed (get more owners to accept they broke their truck). It sounds like Big Brother (Carlos) is watching, and ready to pass the buck. (INTENDED AS HUMOR)

I don't want to start another thread about 25.
It would be great to know the following for 2025 SST:
1- How many miles to date
2- Problems to date

My data:
Miles: 3360
Problems: random "Uconnect requiring service" messages.
2025 Laramie
Purchased 4/16 ran great until 6/24 with 1800 miles on it.
6/24 dead battery, could not even get it to jump start towed, to dealer. They replaced both batteries.
7/1 dead battery again. towed to dealer. Told them of the constant cycling sounds. They suggested I was storing the key fob too close to the truck, and replaced the battery. I stored the fob on the opposite side of the house. Picked the truck up on 7/9.
7/10 the very next day dead battery. Tow driver was able to jump start it. Dealer had the truck for a month and replaced the radio and TBM units, per a STAR suggestion. Picked up on 8/8.
8/12 dead battery again. Was able to jump start it. Been driving a crappy red charger for 32 days and the dealer has no idea of the issue.
9/12 STAR finally has their customer retention team in contact with me and says they still need more time to try and fix the truck. At this point I have requested a buy back, which seems reasonable as I have owned the truck for 148 days, and it has been derivable for only 76 days. The Chrysler customer care team has now been outsourced to India or such, and the communication is terrible. Speaking to the dealership, they also have been outsourced and are not getting the quality of support they had in the past. I loved the truck when it ran, but and very disappointed that Stellantis will not stand behind the quality of their products.
To complicate things I have added a spray in liner, aftermarket tonneu cover, floor mats and running boards. Unless I go back to another Ram I will likely have to fight for compensation on those items.
The Barnett dealership has not been active in this at all. No customer service other than arranging for a crappy rental car. I requested call backs from the service manager twice and he did not respond. The service writer spoke to one of the Barnett's and was told this is a Stellantis issue, so they have nothing to do with it. You would think I could at least get a demo truck to drive until they get this resolved. Does not appear they give a sh*t.

2025 Laramie
Purchased 4/16 ran great until 6/24 with 1800 miles on it.
6/24 dead battery, could not even get it to jump start towed, to dealer. They replaced both batteries.
7/1 dead battery again. towed to dealer. Told them of the constant cycling sounds. They suggested I was storing the key fob too close to the truck, and replaced the battery. I stored the fob on the opposite side of the house. Picked the truck up on 7/9.
7/10 the very next day dead battery. Tow driver was able to jump start it. Dealer had the truck for a month and replaced the radio and TBM units, per a STAR suggestion. Picked up on 8/8.
8/12 dead battery again. Was able to jump start it. Been driving a crappy red charger for 32 days and the dealer has no idea of the issue.
9/12 STAR finally has their customer retention team in contact with me and says they still need more time to try and fix the truck. At this point I have requested a buy back, which seems reasonable as I have owned the truck for 148 days, and it has been derivable for only 76 days. The Chrysler customer care team has now been outsourced to India or such, and the communication is terrible. Speaking to the dealership, they also have been outsourced and are not getting the quality of support they had in the past. I loved the truck when it ran, but and very disappointed that Stellantis will not stand behind the quality of their products.
To complicate things I have added a spray in liner, aftermarket tonneu cover, floor mats and running boards. Unless I go back to another Ram I will likely have to fight for compensation on those items.
The Barnett dealership has not been active in this at all. No customer service other than arranging for a crappy rental car. I requested call backs from the service manager twice and he did not respond. The service writer spoke to one of the Barnett's and was told this is a Stellantis issue, so they have nothing to do with it. You would think I could at least get a demo truck to drive until they get this resolved. Does not appear they give a sh*t.
I would bet you have a dead short somewhere, either a pinched wire or a faulty module somewhere in the truck. I bet it will be a bear to find.

One week for my 25 sst in the dealership for the rough start CEL cylinder misfire issue. They said today that they’re going to be switching out two plugs and two ignition coils. Fingers crossed I’ll get my truck back this week and it’ll be smooth sailing from here on out…

Thankfully they got me a loaner for the week
So they replaced the two plugs and ignition coils. Waiting until this morning to start it to see if the problem is fixed. They report there is still a slight cylinder misfire. So the investigation continues.

Danatanchor
Here is link to my suggestion for folks suffering from dead battery issues, back on page 16 at bottom. If you are not able to perform these task ask the dealer why they have not done this.

I suspect you are dealing with mechanics that lack the electronics training to troubleshoot electrical issues. We will be seeing more and more of dealing with dealers that lack the ability to troubleshoot all the electronics on these new vehicles so they pass the buck or make up BS responses to your issues.

Pikeman_66 has a very good idea that has happened before and posted somewhere in this forum, search for "short" to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back