5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

Sorry to hear. I am at almost 4K. It feels like Russian roulette before my time comes!
I am dropping off mine tomorrow because the stupid Uconnect system requires service nuance for the 2nd time.
My turn signal gets locked up at times during right-hand turns. The brake pedal at times makes a crunchy sound when I am breaking (like slipping a tooth on a cog). I assume it is the adjustable mechanism.

The interior plastic dash, door cards. etc. quality is worse than cheap plastic containers from China -- It may be a Big Horn thing.
yeah I thought i was in the clear, but nope. When I spoke to the service advisor, she said, "oh no this isn't good! Your truck might be in here for a while."

Just l wouldn't buy any first year of anything. All of their first year products are trash. I have witnessed numerous flops by this company.
I bought a 92 Dakota EFI 318, 94 ram 2500 360 2x4, 2004.5 2500 CTD 4x4, 2007 3500 C&C 6.7 and 2019 3500 SRW HO CTD. All were relative trouble free, except for the CP4.2 fiasco that didn't grenade on me before the recall, I've had good luck with my 1st year Dodge products.

I bought a 92 Dakota EFI 318, 94 ram 2500 360 2x4, 2004.5 2500 CTD 4x4, 2007 3500 C&C 6.7 and 2019 3500 SRW HO CTD. All were relative trouble free, except for the CP4.2 fiasco that didn't grenade on me before the recall, I've had good luck with my 1st year Dodge products.
I work on these and see the mess they put out, what is on here is a small sample of really happens. Stellantis/Mopar is a joke for QC on new model launches. The 200 had a stop delivery at launch because of water intrusion in the door handles. They couldn't even get them to the lot without a stop sale/delivery. I gwt it some are good some are gremlins from day one.

Well mine were OK, but if you work on them, you would have a biased view.

On after thought, I won't purchase an American Car after my last two, one Ford Taurus Wagan and one Dodge Shadow. The Ford transmission failed after 30K miles, and when I had it rebuilt, the rebuilder recommended upgraded parts because Ford knew what they used were inferior. That was when Ford tried to beat Honda as the best selling car in America and they sold them as cheap as possible to compete. The Dodge Shadow also had a transmission failure at 35K miles and was repaired under warranty. I gave it to my daughter and she repeatedly had random over heating issues. I marched her down to Toyota and she bought a Corola. My Toyotas have been great, but they were purchased before the latest nightmare Toyota has with their engines. But Toyota is taking care of their customers from my understanding.

On after thought, I won't purchase an American Car after my last two, one Ford Taurus Wagan and one Dodge Shadow. The Ford transmission failed after 30K miles, and when I had it rebuilt, the rebuilder recommended upgraded parts because Ford knew what they used were inferior. That was when Ford tried to beat Honda as the best selling car in America and they sold them as cheap as possible to compete. The Dodge Shadow also had a transmission failure at 35K miles and was repaired under warranty. I gave it to my daughter and she repeatedly had random over heating issues. I marched her down to Toyota and she bought a Corola. My Toyotas have been great, but they were purchased before the latest nightmare Toyota has with their engines. But Toyota is taking care of their customers from my understanding.
A Dodge Shadow (stopped production in 1994) & Ford Taurus Wagon (2005), I'd say it's been a while.

Last edited:
Yup, and I haven't had any Car troubles since then.

Well, I got a check engine light and 8 codes a couple of days ago. Truck has 415 miles on it. I don't think they would try it, but just to head any possible dumbness off, I'm not putting any gas in the truck until I take it in to get looked at. It's still on the original tank the dealer provided, so there's no way they can claim I put bad gas in it.

Well, I got a check engine light and 8 codes a couple of days ago. Truck has 415 miles on it. I don't think they would try it, but just to head any possible dumbness off, I'm not putting any gas in the truck until I take it in to get looked at. It's still on the original tank the dealer provided, so there's no way they can claim I put bad gas in it.
If they tell you it's the fuel kindly tell them that's bullsh*t and point them to the many other reasons discussed in this forum thread. I'm guessing you'll have one of the many gremlins discussed here and unfortunately it will be up to your service department (hopefully competent and training by now on these issues...good luck with that) to find your solution. I hope it is quick for you. My truck was in for 32 calendar days and so far the solution was a fuel pump. There had to be ample information nationwide by now for them to timely repair your CEL issue.

I don't think this dealer will accuse me of putting bad fuel in it, they're known to be an honest dealer. They're family owned, and I've heard lots of good stuff about them. We're in a town of 5000 people, so news travels fast. Plus, they can't, since I have not put fuel in it at all. An interesting wrinkle is that one of my codes is p0101, which is mass airflow sensor related. The other 7 are the typical misfire codes.

I saw on another chat that someone said it's likely being caused by an excess of fuel being dumped into the engine at startup. I kind of feel like that is the case, because when driving around I didn't feel any lack of power or hear any pinging. Mine did the same, cold start idle then it threw the code. Dealer gave me a loaner that is idling the same as my truck. Just curious how long until it does the same.

On another notes they gave me a truck exactly like mine but it's missing some features and has some that don't work. The mirrors are non auto folding, but it has the feature on the center screen to auto fold. The mirror adjustment on the driver door has an extra button that does nothing. It's the control panel that was meant for one with tow mirrors. The shift knob is different then mine. The proximity lighting works as intended, not like mine. I think Ram is just trying to push these trucks out quickly and not paying attention to details sadly.

Mine didn't mess up at idle, it bucked like a bronco going down the road, worse under throttle, then lost a lot of power, then the light came on.

Sucks to see this, but 8 codes? Did you get a listing of what they are?

Weren't you just saying the other day how great the Hurricane is?

Sure glad many of you are breaking this in for Stellantis, it'll be resolved long before I buy another truck...

I can see based on your terminology that you're grinding an axe about the hurricane. That's ok, we all do that sometimes, and the facts seem to be on your side in this case.

I can see based on your terminology that you're grinding an axe about the hurricane. That's ok, we all do that sometimes, and the facts seem to be on your side in this case.
No axe to grind, I've owned twin turbo pickups before. My 2.7 was flawless and the 3.5 ate a turbo (but Ford fixed it quickly).

Stellantis just seems to be screwing Ram with this '25 launch and the Hurricane doesn't appear to be helping.

You seemed awful quick to defend the Hurricane, then this happened. Are you walking back your staunch support of it, now that this happened? Facts have been on my side, based on what I'm reading here (yes, a small subset of overall '25s on the road - again, they aren't that different visually from the '19-'24s, so hard to tell how many are really in the wild).

What codes did your truck throw?

Last edited:
You seriously may be getting me confused with someone else on here. I posted several things along the lines of "they're having serious problems with this engine in the rams". Here's one of my posts, verbatim from this very thread: "This thread has me paranoid enough that had I seen it before I bought my truck I likely would not have bought it. Like many of those having misfire problems, mine was built in March of this year. No sign of any trouble yet, but now I'm just waiting for the light to come on." That's not the only thing I've posted along those lines either. My codes are p0101, which is maf, p0300, and a code for misfire on each individual cylinder.

You seriously may be getting me confused with someone else on here. I posted several things along the lines of "they're having serious problems with this engine in the rams". Here's one of my posts, verbatim from this very thread: "This thread has me paranoid enough that had I seen it before I bought my truck I likely would not have bought it. Like many of those having misfire problems, mine was built in March of this year. No sign of any trouble yet, but now I'm just waiting for the light to come on." That's not the only thing I've posted along those lines either. My codes are p0101, which is maf, p0300, and a code for misfire on each individual cylinder.
My apologies.

It's hard to say what your issue is, but glad you know the codes.

No confusion here... these are your posts (must have missed the one you quoted above)...
That's great, but we're not talking about how the average driver perceives it, we're talking about how it actually IS.
Not at all, the software and electrical systems are very different from 2024 models.
From those, it sounded like you were defending the Hurricane.
You're absolutely right about that. However, that does not mean turbocharging is causing that, they've managed to screw plenty of non-turbo stuff up too.
But then I see this one, why on earth did you buy a '25?! Again, the truck is largely unchanged since the 2019s, except for all the stuff the average driver can't see and has no idea about (electrical system, software, etc). Ironically, all that is stuff Stellantis is bad at!

I've been enjoying these 5th gens since 2019 - both of mine have been largely problem free.

Hope they get your issue figured out quick.

@firecadet613 you have a hard time with some things. The 2025 is cosmetically the same as previous years, that is it. @v8440 was trying to help you understand that. This going to get deeper if needed. The engine is not complicated at all, its everything that supports/helps it get its power can be complicated.

The 2019 model year had plenty of issues, not everyone had to deal with them. Keep defending your 2019 trucks, that is fine. This is a completely different company now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back