5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

"There is no software update..." is what I was just told from the service manager at the dealer I bought the truck from. He said they're still trying to figure out a solution they believe to be hardware related. He said to continue to drive the vehicle as no damage is occurring (not confident I believe this). Meanwhile the service dept at the dealer that had my truck for 51 days straight who told me the software update was due to be out yesterday is ghosting me. I don't know what to believe... at this point I don't care. I just want a "do over". Even though this is my 4th FCA product I've owned it will be my last for a very long time.

"There is no software update..." is what I was just told from the service manager at the dealer I bought the truck from. He said they're still trying to figure out a solution they believe to be hardware related. He said to continue to drive the vehicle as no damage is occurring (not confident I believe this). Meanwhile the service dept at the dealer that had my truck for 51 days straight who told me the software update was due to be out yesterday is ghosting me. I don't know what to believe... at this point I don't care. I just want a "do over". Even though this is my 4th FCA product I've owned it will be my last for a very long time.
Perhaps lemon law it?

Well guys I just got the CEL this morning. It started up and was idling like crap like always. I drove away from the house and about 2 miles later the light came on. I’ll scan it when I get home with my Autel.

Attachments

• IMG_5497.jpeg
    IMG_5497.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I absolutely love this engine!!!! It gets better mileage and will flat out spank a hemi. I laugh at the people who say that they won’t ever buy another ram. What are you going to buy, a Toyota? (Sound of engine blowing up!) 🤣, how about a Chevy? (Oh wait a judge just allowed a class action lawsuit to happen), well what about ford? (better read up on vvt and water pumps taking out the entire engine)! Ram trucks rock, better looking, better interior and the most intelligent drivers. They will get these problems ironed out, read about any new model year and it has problems, this is the price we pay for being the first kid on the block to have the newest truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3.0 Hurricane can be the best engine ever, (sarcasm) but I still wouldn't buy it. What will I buy if my 2020 at 46K miles needs replacement? Another 5.7 Hemi short block and replace it. It'll be years before I need a short block, but there are numerous shops that know them well, and will be around when my engine needs replacing.
As I posted before, the Hurricane is a complicated engine, and yes it is, regardless of the hate thats going to follow. I don't want a twin turbo engine with the size of a 3.0 liter engine in a truck.
First off, I do hope you're happy with the vehicle because that's all any of us want for anyone really. Don't ever think I am hoping you have problems. I literally hope you drive it with a big smile on your face for 200k.

But what you're saying you like, which might be true, has absolutely nothing to do with these problems. I actually love my 2019 Ram Rebel despite the issues I've had. It's the truck that carried me from my wedding with my wife. It's the truck that I had when my son was born. It's "dada's monster truck" as he calls it. I own it now. It's my 3rd vehicle. I commute with it 1 day a week, use it to work on the house, and it's my hunting truck.

What am I going to get? Well, nothing for now. I'll drive my 19' till it dies. It's only got 75k so hopefully that is a long way from now. I just leased a Mazda CX-50 as an every day commuter. Bit of an adjustment but it's actually pretty nice in what they give you standard. It is AWD as well. My wife is getting a Tahoe or Yukon when her JGC-L is up. The Wagoneer very long ago was on the table but now my lease broker's story it's a hard no.

When it is time to get a new truck? I honestly have no idea. Will they be all EV's by then? God I hope not, but who knows? Will all the 1/2 tons only have 6's with turbos? I guess I'll figure it out then. Stellantis is on a bad path. Once again, for the CEO to admit they are seeing tons of vehicles come off the line with problems, is pretty bad. I would be shocked if he's not out within the next year.

I'm with you Waterman. (y)

the Hurricane is a complicated engine, and yes it is
What makes the engine complicated to you?

What is complicated for you may be simple to the next person.

What makes the engine complicated to you?

What is complicated for you may be simple to the next person.

Anything with turbos is inherently more complicated. Period. This is non-negotiable. Turbos are a failure point. Intercoolers are a failure point. The controllers and extra software are problem points (maybe not failure). That's a very bare bones example, too. Nothing can be said to dispute this.

Turbos are put on for one of two reasons: 1) To achieve higher performance out of an already high performance platform or 2) To get more from a lesser motor (displacement-wise) to save on weight, fuel, emissions, etc. Both come with problems.

Is the motor design more complicated than a BMW I-6 turbo? I can't say. The BMW I-6 turbos have a way better track record. In Mopar's defense, BMW has had their motor for much longer.

It's time to lemon law it. 51 days is unacceptable. That's 2 months of payments. My lease broker told me his was in the shop for a month and a half before he started the lemon law process.

I love the sound and performance of V8 engines. I own vehicles with the 5.7, 6.4 & 6.2 SC Hemi’s. I also appreciate engineering that goes beyond what the V8’s are producing.
I used to have two Ford company trucks, one with a 5.0 and the other with the Ecoboost. The EcoBoost was much better towing and all around performance especially when at elevation. I lived at 7,000 asl and the turbo’s made up for the lack of air. When I moved to an area that was around 1000 asl, the 5.0 performed better than at elevation but still did not pull as well as the EcoBoost. It did however get the same fuel mileage when empty.
Per liter, the Hurricane produces efficiencies better than the 6.2 supercharged engines. They’re here to stay and my experience, as far as performance is exceptional so far. The low end torque pulls my almost 4,000 pound bass boat setup better than the 5.7 1500 I owned before. It doesn’t seem stressed at all winding through 2 lane back roads up and down steep inclines/declines getting to the lake. The 5.7 was always down shifting and revving whereas the turbo pulls a higher gear much easier keeping the rpm’s lower. Dare I say it performs more like a diesel engine than the typical gas naturally aspirated engine.

Glad you brought up diesels.

We have 2 marine diesels. CAT C9 ACERT pushing just under 600hp each. Almost 9L of displacement (per engine). Straight 6's just like the Hurricane. Boost? 26 psi at 70% load.

Just read an article on the 3.0L Hurricane H/O. I can't speak for the S/O but the article I read on the H/O stated 26 psi out of 3.0L and over 500hp. That's not comforting.

Even the Ecoboosts spec no more than 20psi of boost.

Like I said, I hope this all works out for everyone. Seriously. I have a lot of concerns.

Here are the codes I’m getting.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpeg
    IMG_5498.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5499.jpeg
    IMG_5499.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 26
It's time to lemon law it. 51 days is unacceptable. That's 2 months of payments. My lease broker told me his was in the shop for a month and a half before he started the lemon law process.
I started the process already. It's been over 10 days since I filed for it and FCA doesn't want to do anything about it. Arbitration seems like the next step. Frustrating as hell!

THE ENGINE IS NOT COMPLICATED, there I said it. I am not negotiating anything. Engines are not complicated-I said it again.
Something is for Stellantis or all these brand new trucks wouldn't be throwing CELs!

Something is for Stellantis or all these brand new trucks wouldn't be throwing CELs!
You are correct, Stellantis has struggled with software on all aspects of their vehicles.

Glad you brought up diesels.

We have 2 marine diesels. CAT C9 ACERT pushing just under 600hp each. Almost 9L of displacement (per engine). Straight 6's just like the Hurricane. Boost? 26 psi at 70% load.

Just read an article on the 3.0L Hurricane H/O. I can't speak for the S/O but the article I read on the H/O stated 26 psi out of 3.0L and over 500hp. That's not comforting.

Even the Ecoboosts spec no more than 20psi of boost.

Like I said, I hope this all works out for everyone. Seriously. I have a lot of concerns.

The Hurricane was designed to take these kinds of pressures. The guy that led the design of the Hurricane did an interview with some you tuber and he explains a lot about it’s possibilities. I’m pretty sure he said that block could handle the kind of power the Hellcats are producing.
I know there are internal differences between the SO and the HO but I don’t remember if it’s just the pistons. Very informative video though.

The Hurricane was designed to take these kinds of pressures. The guy that led the design of the Hurricane did an interview with some you tuber and he explains a lot about it’s possibilities. I’m pretty sure he said that block could handle the kind of power the Hellcats are producing.

This remains to be seen. No offense. So far, not so good, in other aspects.

THE ENGINE IS NOT COMPLICATED, there I said it. I am not negotiating anything. Engines are not complicated-I said it again.

And I'll say it again. Twin turbo motors are more complicated than NA motors. Simple as that. We are at an "impasse." Not much more we can say.

And I'll say it again. Twin turbo motors are more complicated than NA motors. Simple as that. We are at an "impasse." Not much more we can say.
The "impasse" is you stating "non-negotiable". That is you not even entertaining the idea that they are all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day.

If you guys want to see a mess, you should have been around in the mid to late ‘70’s when there was 30 feet of vacuum hose all over the engine. It was easy to remove and do away with but one little dry cracked hose ruined your gas mileage and power. The electronic age allows things to be precise but one little pinched wire or low battery voltage can ruin your experience just the same.
As far as turbos, diesel’s have been using them for decades. I welcome forced induction in the gas engines. The mid ‘80’s 3.8 Buick GN and T Types were amazing for their time and I’m surprised it’s taken this long to get domestic forced induction into a large volume of vehicles.

Think about this; a Cummins 6.7L HO diesel produces 1,100 foot pound of torque and weighs 1,000 pounds. This little 3L I-6 “gas” engine weighs less than 40% of the Cummins and delivers over 45% of the torque. Not bad for light duty applications. The more I drive my 1500 SO Hurricane, the less I miss my Ram 2500/3500 trucks.

The "impasse" is you stating "non-negotiable". That is you not even entertaining the idea that they are all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day.

So your saying the added independent cooling system for the turbos and overhead cams and ect ect ect, are not more complicated, never mind the combustion programing that has already showed its ugly head. I'm all for you Hurricane fans and I hope it works out for your sakes, but please let us live in reality.
If you guys want to see a mess, you should have been around in the mid to late ‘70’s when there was 30 feet of vacuum hose all over the engine. It was easy to remove and do away with but one little dry cracked hose ruined your gas mileage and power. The electronic age allows things to be precise but one little pinched wire or low battery voltage can ruin your experience just the same.

I know it well, I got involved in automotive repair as a young teenager, in the early seventies. It took out the best engines the four manufactures built. The last of them was the 318 and 360 in the late 90's that were retired.
As far as turbos, diesel’s have been using them for decades. I welcome forced induction in the gas engines. The mid ‘80’s 3.8 Buick GN and T Types were amazing for their time and I’m surprised it’s taken this long to get domestic forced induction into a large volume of vehicles.

Think about this; a Cummins 6.7L HO diesel produces 1,100 foot pound of torque and weighs 1,000 pounds. This little 3L I-6 “gas” engine weighs less than 40% of the Cummins and delivers over 45% of the torque. Not bad for light duty applications. The more I drive my 1500 SO Hurricane, the less I miss my Ram 2500/3500 trucks.

Diesel's need the turbos and intercoolers, otherwise they would be dogs and would never have gotten out of the 80's, of coarse we're talking light truck application. But as far as the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7, they are in a class of their own, I've owned three and if it wasn't for selling my 5th wheel, I didn't need any longer, I'd still own my 2019 3500 SRW HO.

So your saying the added independent cooling system for the turbos and overhead cams and ect ect ect, are not more complicated, never mind the combustion programing that has already showed its ugly head. I'm all for you Hurricane fans and I hope it works out for your sakes, but please let us live in reality.
Where did I say the that? I specifically said "engine". But yes I don't think it's complicated. Programming isn't part of the engine. Overhead cams, have been around a long time.

I'm sorry something simple for one person is complicated for another.

Full disclosure, I wouldn't own a new Stellantis product ever. They have proven over and over they suck at launches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back