5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

What octane of fuel is everyone buying? Since I got my truck back I've stayed with 87 w/ no ethanol and (knock on wood) no CEL again....yet. so far fuel pump has fixed my issues.. I hope I'm in the clear and can move on.
87 with ethanol. Also have run 91/89 for towing when it was hot but not sure I needed to do that. No CEL after 2200 miles

What octane of fuel is everyone buying? Since I got my truck back I've stayed with 87 w/ no ethanol and (knock on wood) no CEL again....yet. so far fuel pump has fixed my issues.. I hope I'm in the clear and can move on.
I’ve used nothing but 87 with ethanol. CEL at 1390 miles. They changed my Ignition Control Module. Now at 2200 miles and so far no CEL. Although I just noticed my fuel gauge and DTE seem off. Parked it with 92 miles to empty. Next start the gauge was higher and now 108 miles to empty. Drove a 1/4 mile and it dropped to 72 miles to empty while driving. Parked it and next start it said 51 miles to empty. It was flat ground and my average MPG didn’t change at all and the gauge never went below a 1/4 tank. I filled it up and it seems normal again. Keep an eye on it for now 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve used nothing but 87 with ethanol. CEL at 1390 miles. They changed my Ignition Control Module. Now at 2200 miles and so far no CEL. Although I just noticed my fuel gauge and DTE seem off. Parked it with 92 miles to empty. Next start the gauge was higher and now 108 miles to empty. Drove a 1/4 mile and it dropped to 72 miles to empty while driving. Parked it and next start it said 51 miles to empty. It was flat ground and my average MPG didn’t change at all and the gauge never went below a 1/4 tank. I filled it up and it seems normal again. Keep an eye on it for now 🤷🏻‍♂️
My DTE drops like a rock around 1/4 tank.

I have used only premium 91 since getting my truck 1 month ago and have no issues as of today.

So do you guys think using the standard grade fuel is the better option?

I have used only premium 91 since getting my truck 1 month ago and have no issues as of today.

So do you guys think using the standard grade fuel is the better option?
After getting my truck back from the 2nd CEL for misfires the Service Tech stated to use 87 octane....it didn't make sense to me since I used 91 octane in my '09 and zero issues....I would think a turbo vehicle would like to drink the higher octane as well.....but, I've stuck with 87 octane with no ethanol and no CEL...yet...

Just a brief misfire update. Post CEL and ICM change I’m about 800 miles in and still no CEL. The manager of my local service department called me to follow up. He informed me that he has been told Stellantis discovered a batch of 3300 Bad ICM’s that were installed. Just for the RAM’s. He also said they have found more in the Jeeps as well. However I informed him I am still seeing some misfire codes on my own scans but no CEL again. I scan randomly and sometimes I see them, others I don’t. He asked me to come in when I can so they can scan with there tools and send to corporate. He is just as frustrated as I am. So he claims atleast. Hope this helps atleast one of you. I asked him about software update and he has no knowledge of one from corporate 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just had service completed for this issue at about 700 ish miles. Service advisor when I picked it up said it needed a software update and the check engine light is off now. When I brought it in the advisor stated it was throwing up a misfire on all cylinders code. I said I wanted the code and the high schooler that gave me my keyfob to leave said a tech would call me Monday...allegedly. I hope this isn't a constant issue.
Mine had the misfire code at 800, and back today at 2300.. good luck

My check engine light came on at 800mi, brought the truck in, they said multiple cylinder misfires, and they came up with some BS like “the air box wasn’t installed correctly, so we “fixed it” and reset the codes”.. here today at 2300mi, came on again. At this point, I brought it back, same issue.. we will see what they come up with this time. I’m also going to check into the lemon law

This thread has me paranoid enough that had I seen it before I bought my truck I likely would not have bought it. Like many of those having misfire problems, mine was built in March of this year. No sign of any trouble yet, but now I'm just waiting for the light to come on.

This thread has me paranoid enough that had I seen it before I bought my truck I likely would not have bought it. Like many of those having misfire problems, mine was built in March of this year. No sign of any trouble yet, but now I'm just waiting for the light to come on.

Welcome to the world of forums and what they can do for you :)

I had the same worry when I bought my 2019 brand new, no issues in the last 5 years so far, knocking on the whole tree.

Yeah, it can sure bug you out. The single most disturbing thing I've read in this thread is the post where someone with the misfire problem said someone from their service dept went out and test drove 3 new trucks on the lot, and ALL THREE OF THEM had the misfire. THAT is alarming, because if true that can't just be chalked up to a collection of people on the internet only posting if they have a problem.

Yeah, it can sure bug you out. The single most disturbing thing I've read in this thread is the post where someone with the misfire problem said someone from their service dept went out and test drove 3 new trucks on the lot, and ALL THREE OF THEM had the misfire. THAT is alarming, because if true that can't just be chalked up to a collection of people on the internet only posting if they have a problem.

Yup, luckily I think this is a more acute but simple issue than say some of the early 2019s had. Hopefully either a simple tune or part change, as opposed to anything internal or invasive to fix.

I had the same worry when I bought my 2019 brand new, no issues in the last 5 years so far, knocking on the whole tree.
Funny, I would not buy a '25 but I had no qualms about buying my '19 back in '18. Trucks then weren't throwing CELs.

Like you, both my '19s have been trouble free...

Does anyone have a 2025 that hasn't thrown a check engine light yet?
Mine has 3482 miles yesterday I got a CEL I pulled the codes using Blue Driver. The codes were P0300; P0304; P0305 & P0306 engine misfire in cylinders 4-6. Since I took delivery of this truck I notice after sitting overnight at start up it ran a little rough but cleared up after a 20-30 seconds never had any engine drivability issues. I did run into the trans hanging up on 2 second gear once I just pulled over shutdown & restarted problem went away. The trans can be jerky at low speed & during stop & go traffic.
1725635349096.png
This OBS 2 reader was able to work on 2025
1725635476418.png

Created an account just for this thread...

First time ram owner. 2025 built 4-24. CEL just came on at around 9300 miles. Just brought it in to the dealer. It's throwing codes p0300, 302, and 304. Dealer said I'm the 7th one they've had come in with this issue. So far no fix he said. They have one in the shop they are troubleshooting on, but he thought it was going to take a software update to address the issue. Was told to just drive it until they call me with a fix. Hopefully won't be too long.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a scanner. I got one for $20 on Amazon with a free app. Works fine for my needs. I had the CEL at 1390 miles. They replaced my ICM and sent me on my way. I’ve randomly scanned it myself and have misfire codes, instrument cluster Bus failed code and a transmission code but NO CEL. My dealer had me come in for a scan and confirmed. Now I’m waiting for a loaner to be available and it will be in for the second time in 2 months.

Yes, the internet can have that effect, but it was instrumental when I purchased my 2019 3500 SRW HO CTD, when Ram went to the known failed CP4.2 HPCR fuel pump. When the pumps started failing, at first, Ram claimed fuel contamination (Sound familiar). Then it became obvious the known failed CP4.2 that Ram went to, was the same as Ford and GM failed with. Because the internet alerted everyone that there was an issue them, I took precautions by recording every drop of fuel pumped. To make it worse, when Ram recalled them, the 2019's had to wait until 2022 into 2023 while they took care of the 2020's. The websites for all manufactures have their place in informing the buyers, and help getting them fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back