5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

Yes, the internet can have that effect, but it was instrumental when I purchased my 2019 3500 SRW HO CTD, when Ram went to the known failed CP4.2 HPCR fuel pump. When the pumps started failing, at first, Ram claimed fuel contamination (Sound familiar). Then it became obvious the known failed CP4.2 that Ram went to, was the same as Ford and GM failed with. Because the internet alerted everyone that there was an issue them, I took precautions by recording every drop of fuel pumped. To make it worse, when Ram recalled them, the 2019's had to wait until 2022 into 2023 while they took care of the 2020's. The websites for all manufactures have their place in informing the buyers, and help getting them fixed.
Oh absolutely, I always check the forums before a new vehicle purchase to let me know what to expect and how I can alleviate certain issues or take calculated risks on others.

I recently purchased a 2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo with 420HP. With less than 1,000 miles on it, I am incredibly frustrated to have encountered an issue with the check engine light for the second time. Despite using premium gas and driving conservatively, I have had to drop off my truck for service again.

The first time, they ran tests but found nothing. A week later, the light returned, and now my truck is back in service. The lack of online information only adds to my frustration, as I am left without any clear understanding of the cause.

This is a brand-new vehicle, and such issues highlight a significant failure in the QA process. The company must address and resolve this problem promptly. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue.
With my 5.7 had it in many times for check engine lightand nothing could be found. I started to pay attention to when light came on and for me it was the fuel fill sensor. When I filled till the pump clicked off my check engine light would come on. Weird I know.

Mine has 3482 miles yesterday I got a CEL I pulled the codes using Blue Driver. The codes were P0300; P0304; P0305 & P0306 engine misfire in cylinders 4-6. Since I took delivery of this truck I notice after sitting overnight at start up it ran a little rough but cleared up after a 20-30 seconds never had any engine drivability issues. I did run into the trans hanging up on 2 second gear once I just pulled over shutdown & restarted problem went away. The trans can be jerky at low speed & during stop & go traffic.
View attachment 189282
This OBS 2 reader was able to work on 2025
View attachment 189283
V6? I thought the twin turbo huricane was an I6. Is this the pentastar or is you vehicle configured wrong (or are they all)?

My new laramie has about 230 miles on it. The SES light has not come on. I checked for pending misfire codes yesterday and there were none, so that's encouraging. To be clear, I've had no symptoms of any problem at all, I just decided to check preemptively in case some were pending.

I’m currently dealing with some issues with my new 25' Laramie with the Hurricane 3.0L SO. After just under 3,000 miles, I got a CEL and the dealership has diagnosed it as an internally shorted PCM. Apparently this seems to be the cause of the 17 DTC codes (pending DTCs for misfires as well) that showed up on the OBD scanner. It’s frustrating and disappointing to need a PCM replacement so soon. To make matters worse, the part is on backorder and could take up to two weeks to arrive. I really love the truck, but this situation is making me lose confidence in it, especially since I've only had it for a month. Saddened about the situation..

I’m currently dealing with some issues with my new 25' Laramie with the Hurricane 3.0L SO. After just under 3,000 miles, I got a CEL and the dealership has diagnosed it as an internally shorted PCM. Apparently this seems to be the cause of the 17 DTC codes (pending DTCs for misfires as well) that showed up on the OBD scanner. It’s frustrating and disappointing to need a PCM replacement so soon. To make matters worse, the part is on backorder and could take up to two weeks to arrive. I really love the truck, but this situation is making me lose confidence in it, especially since I've only had it for a month. Saddened about the situation..
I think it's a mix of problems leading to these CEL issues. I think Ram rushed this truck for consumer purchase before thoroughly venting issues during testing, if any. Yours is a PCM, mine is/was a fuel pump, another was an airbox...too many gremlins. It shouldn't be like this being without a 60k vehicle for weeks until they settle on a solution that might address the CEL issue. I hope you get resolution and again, I hope my gremlin is gone...good luck!

First off, I hope OP gets this worked out...but...I am not hearing great things about these motors.

These points are from mostly Wagoneers, which have had the motors for a bit now, but I imagine its the same for Rams.

There are Redditors who work in dealers with pics of brand new Hurricane motors torn down to the bottom end with mains being replaced.

Someone on here who works in a dealer, mentioned (I believe) one came in with cylinder scoring and ended up with a new motor. From what I recall, his opinion wasn't great on these motors.

Bunch of accounts on the Wagoneer forum of motors going out with less than 15k for multiple issues: Cylinder scoring, bottom ends, and even valve drops.

My own personal anecdote: My lease broker who has secured my wife's JGC-L, my Mazda CX-50, cars for a bunch of friends, etc is in the process of lemon-lawing his 2024 Wagoneer with the Hurricane. Talked with him for about 20 min on it a few days ago. About 1000 miles the CEL went on. It's been in and out of the dealer for 2-3 months now. Dealer has already had to replace the top end. They gave him back the truck, CEL came on. Since then the truck has 2000 miles on it. The additional 1000 miles are mostly from them driving it to and from his house which is a bit a ways from the dealer. He said he's at his wits end. He just wants his payments back and for them to take the truck. CEL comes on after driving every time they gave it back to him.

I hope this isn't OP's case. As much as I don't think highly of Ram's (and Mopars) latest decisions, we're all in this together and it's incredibly frustrating.

Mopar lost me. Possibly for good, at the least for a very long time. The only positive for 2025 that I see is the RHO is definitely a sharp truck.

Good luck OP. I really hope they make this right for you.

Keep in mind, nobody runs to a forum or Reddit to tell you how great their stock ride is doing.

Everyone always loves to play devil's advocate with that or something to the effect of: "It's only a small percentage of vehicles out of millions" or "People only come on here to complain." "You don't hear from the people happy about their vehicle." or "People are just hating."

There's a lot of Rams here in NJ. I have 3 buddies with Rams. I was the first one with the rear window frame crack. Took a couple months before 2 out of the 3 had the same and were calling me to ask how it was warrantied. So is this just "one truck out of millions?"

What's going on is unacceptable. The Stellantis CEO said point blank "We're seeing too many vehicles come off the line with problems." That's the CEO. Lets really think about that for a second. When do we stop making excuses here?

EDIT: I should also, genuinely say, they lost me at not offering a V8 option in the 1500. I'm sorry. I know I'm one guy and no one cares about one guy. I will never buy another 1/2 ton Ram until they offer a V8 again. A small displacement turbo-charged 6 cylinder to take the place of a NA-V8 doesn't belong in a 1/2 ton truck. Never liked the EcoBoost. Still don't. The only thing I give slight redemption to them is its an I-6.

Last edited:
As someone who also owns a 2021 Wrangler with 80K on it that never had a single issue (and according to the Internet that is one of the most problematic rides ever), I'll say there are plenty of good ones out there. Again, nobody runs up to tell people 'man my truck runs great'

As someone who also owns a 2021 Wrangler with 80K on it that never had a single issue (and according to the Internet that is one of the most problematic rides ever), I'll say there are plenty of good ones out there. Again, nobody runs up to tell people 'man my truck runs great'

And my brother has a 2012 Wrangler that's had both heads replaced. One with less than 80k in miles, the other went a little north of 100k. Trans went out at 110k. He doesn't have a lot of money and is super handy so he just keeps fixing it. I managed to pull some strings for him for the heads and they were warrantied because of the amount of Mopars I've owned.

Are we really at a point, universally, where top ends last only 80k?

Wife's 2021 JGC-L, albeit first model year, is a POS. The t-case is on the verge of replacement. Dealer said don't bother with it unless the "Service AWD" stays on all the time because they will have the truck for 6 weeks. Motor already has a valve tap. It didn't fail the rear suspension recall, thank God, because if it did, another 6-8 weeks for that. The Uconnect system is horrible. Rear brakes are gone already and it has 36k. The bright side? It's a lease and it drives relatively nice.

Yes, other cars/trucks have problems too but Mopar/Stellantis is headed even further down a bad path.

A service manager told me a while back that the Wagoneer is placed with electrical issues but the engines been good.

Similar to waterman above, I believe there's serious problems here. Like he said, it's easy (and often true) to remind people that few people join forums to tell about how great their vehicle is doing. The media never reports on the flight that didn't crash. But, that's not always correct, and to me there are two reasons why I don't think that applies in the case of the hurricane powered ram 1500's. First, the sheer volume of similar complaints-check engine lights coming on with misfire codes. The second reason is actually one post, buried somewhere in this thread-a guy took his truck to get checked out for the misfire problem, and somebody at his dealer svc dept got curious and test drove 3 new ones they had on the lot. ALL THREE of them had the misfire problem. That right there if true is so unlikely to happen if there's not a widespread problem as to be unbelievable. There's just no way this isn't a major issue. So far my truck has acted perfectly fine, and there are no pending codes stored for anything. It also only has like 270 miles on it. If this continues eventually I'll become less and less worried and not check so much, but until a while has passed, I'll be vigilant.

Also there is a minuscule fraction of Hurricanes in the wild as compared to the DT Hemi, and certainly a fraction of the amount of time it’s spent in the wild.

And yet, I wonder how many longer-term forum members think there are a higher number of complaints on the Hurricane than the Hemi has gotten in 6 years (in the DT platform alone)?

Same forum, same Ram platform.

Sure seems that way to me. Plus the issues are so consistent and concentrated - that suggests fundamental defects as opposed to the statistically rare random problems that typically fill a forum.

Ironically I was one of those guys on here saying “Hurricane won’t be so bad…”. But at this point, it’s a hard pass from me.

I hope they do figure out a solid resolution for everyone affected. And soon!

My first 24 hours was disappointing to say the least; fuse popped that connects the two batteries. After that, nothing but good. I use it daily for running around town, 1,000 mile round trips, pulling my bass boat and everything in between.
I always let my truck idle down after I start it as it’s probably going through some system check or recharging battery, I don’t know but my dealer said these Hurricanes are sensitive to battery voltage so a little extra idle time won’t hurt I guess. The 15 minutes of turbo coolant circulation after shutdown cannot help the battery and hopefully that’s all engineered in battery choice.

Last edited:
I truly hope and believe it's a software issue rather than an engine issue. Too many things are electrical/computer operated for there not to be issues.

2025 Ram Rebel SST w/1600 miles and so far so good.

So far, I would say I don't miss the Hemi in the least... not at all!

First off, I hope OP gets this worked out...but...I am not hearing great things about these motors.

These points are from mostly Wagoneers, which have had the motors for a bit now, but I imagine its the same for Rams.

There are Redditors who work in dealers with pics of brand new Hurricane motors torn down to the bottom end with mains being replaced.

Someone on here who works in a dealer, mentioned (I believe) one came in with cylinder scoring and ended up with a new motor. From what I recall, his opinion wasn't great on these motors.

Bunch of accounts on the Wagoneer forum of motors going out with less than 15k for multiple issues: Cylinder scoring, bottom ends, and even valve drops.

My own personal anecdote: My lease broker who has secured my wife's JGC-L, my Mazda CX-50, cars for a bunch of friends, etc is in the process of lemon-lawing his 2024 Wagoneer with the Hurricane. Talked with him for about 20 min on it a few days ago. About 1000 miles the CEL went on. It's been in and out of the dealer for 2-3 months now. Dealer has already had to replace the top end. They gave him back the truck, CEL came on. Since then the truck has 2000 miles on it. The additional 1000 miles are mostly from them driving it to and from his house which is a bit a ways from the dealer. He said he's at his wits end. He just wants his payments back and for them to take the truck. CEL comes on after driving every time they gave it back to him.

I hope this isn't OP's case. As much as I don't think highly of Ram's (and Mopars) latest decisions, we're all in this together and it's incredibly frustrating.

Mopar lost me. Possibly for good, at the least for a very long time. The only positive for 2025 that I see is the RHO is definitely a sharp truck.

Good luck OP. I really hope they make this right for you.

I absolutely love this engine!!!! It gets better mileage and will flat out spank a hemi. I laugh at the people who say that they won’t ever buy another ram. What are you going to buy, a Toyota? (Sound of engine blowing up!) 🤣, how about a Chevy? (Oh wait a judge just allowed a class action lawsuit to happen), well what about ford? (better read up on vvt and water pumps taking out the entire engine)! Ram trucks rock, better looking, better interior and the most intelligent drivers. They will get these problems ironed out, read about any new model year and it has problems, this is the price we pay for being the first kid on the block to have the newest truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely love this engine!!!! It gets better mileage and will flat out spank a hemi. I laugh at the people who say that they won’t ever buy another ram. What are you going to buy, a Toyota? (Sound of engine blowing up!) 🤣, how about a Chevy? (Oh wait a judge just allowed a class action lawsuit to happen), well what about ford? (better read up on vvt and water pumps taking out the entire engine)! Ram trucks rock, better looking, better interior and the most intelligent drivers. They will get these problems ironed out, read about any new model year and it has problems, this is the price we pay for being the first kid on the block to have the newest truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, I do hope you're happy with the vehicle because that's all any of us want for anyone really. Don't ever think I am hoping you have problems. I literally hope you drive it with a big smile on your face for 200k.

But what you're saying you like, which might be true, has absolutely nothing to do with these problems. I actually love my 2019 Ram Rebel despite the issues I've had. It's the truck that carried me from my wedding with my wife. It's the truck that I had when my son was born. It's "dada's monster truck" as he calls it. I own it now. It's my 3rd vehicle. I commute with it 1 day a week, use it to work on the house, and it's my hunting truck.

What am I going to get? Well, nothing for now. I'll drive my 19' till it dies. It's only got 75k so hopefully that is a long way from now. I just leased a Mazda CX-50 as an every day commuter. Bit of an adjustment but it's actually pretty nice in what they give you standard. It is AWD as well. My wife is getting a Tahoe or Yukon when her JGC-L is up. The Wagoneer very long ago was on the table but now my lease broker's story it's a hard no.

When it is time to get a new truck? I honestly have no idea. Will they be all EV's by then? God I hope not, but who knows? Will all the 1/2 tons only have 6's with turbos? I guess I'll figure it out then. Stellantis is on a bad path. Once again, for the CEO to admit they are seeing tons of vehicles come off the line with problems, is pretty bad. I would be shocked if he's not out within the next year.

Everyone always loves to play devil's advocate with that or something to the effect of: "It's only a small percentage of vehicles out of millions" or "People only come on here to complain." "You don't hear from the people happy about their vehicle." or "People are just hating."

There's a lot of Rams here in NJ. I have 3 buddies with Rams. I was the first one with the rear window frame crack. Took a couple months before 2 out of the 3 had the same and were calling me to ask how it was warrantied. So is this just "one truck out of millions?"

What's going on is unacceptable. The Stellantis CEO said point blank "We're seeing too many vehicles come off the line with problems." That's the CEO. Lets really think about that for a second. When do we stop making excuses here?

EDIT: I should also, genuinely say, they lost me at not offering a V8 option in the 1500. I'm sorry. I know I'm one guy and no one cares about one guy. I will never buy another 1/2 ton Ram until they offer a V8 again. A small displacement turbo-charged 6 cylinder to take the place of a NA-V8 doesn't belong in a 1/2 ton truck. Never liked the EcoBoost. Still don't. The only thing I give slight redemption to them is its an I-6.
I love the sound and performance of V8 engines. I own vehicles with the 5.7, 6.4 & 6.2 SC Hemi’s. I also appreciate engineering that goes beyond what the V8’s are producing.
I used to have two Ford company trucks, one with a 5.0 and the other with the Ecoboost. The EcoBoost was much better towing and all around performance especially when at elevation. I lived at 7,000 asl and the turbo’s made up for the lack of air. When I moved to an area that was around 1000 asl, the 5.0 performed better than at elevation but still did not pull as well as the EcoBoost. It did however get the same fuel mileage when empty.
Per liter, the Hurricane produces efficiencies better than the 6.2 supercharged engines. They’re here to stay and my experience, as far as performance is exceptional so far. The low end torque pulls my almost 4,000 pound bass boat setup better than the 5.7 1500 I owned before. It doesn’t seem stressed at all winding through 2 lane back roads up and down steep inclines/declines getting to the lake. The 5.7 was always down shifting and revving whereas the turbo pulls a higher gear much easier keeping the rpm’s lower. Dare I say it performs more like a diesel engine than the typical gas naturally aspirated engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back