5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Using the steering wheel controls for volume will help decrease this issue.

100%, I rarely use the round volume dial, almost always exclusively my steering wheel buttons. It's more the other way, confusing the volume dial or temp dial for my shifter in the "heat of the moment".

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see that at all. Looks nothing like my truck other than the fact that there is a steering wheel, vents, and gauge cluster.... ?
I wasn't thinking details so much as overall color and layout - when I first looked at the picture it looks very similar to my 2019 black interior bighorn with 8.4 screen. the elements you mentioned and the overall lines and color. I am referencing the picture iliketurtles posted on 12/26 where the screen is in the dash and not the version where it sits 'up' shared later. I personally don't like the designs of many models where the screen is sticking-up from the dash and much prefer the integrated look that our RAM's or my wife subaru use.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking details so much as overall color and layout - when I first looked at the picture it looks very similar to my 2019 black interior bighorn with 8.4 screen. the elements you mentioned and the overall lines and color. I am referencing the picture iliketurtles posted on 12/26 where the screen is in the dash and not the version where it sits 'up' shared later. I personally don't like the designs of many models where the screen is sticking-up from the dash and much prefer the integrated look that our RAM's or my wife subaru use.
I agree with you on that. I don't like the display sticking up in the air. I'd be worried about someone accidentally breaking it off. Not sure how that would happen, but if it can happen it would happen (to me).

PostPremium

Reaction score
Well gentlemen, the stats don't lie. Check out the GM forums and see if you can find any argument whatsoever about their shifter. None. Nada. Zip. Maybe 1 disgruntled customer here or there, but the Ram, Jeep, and other FCA forums are full of this type of thread; many people just don't like the dial.

Since I've gotten use to it and no longer care (really), I'm just going to drop out of this discussion as there is no point. However I maintain the argument that one should not have to "get used" to a shifter, and it should not take the 1.5+ years it took me. I also mantain there are improvments which could/should be made to it.

Peace, hope we can all enjoy our Rams!
There's no argument about their shifter because it's been the same for decades. What would they be arguing about? And did it really take you over a year to get used to Ram's shifter?

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well gentlemen, the stats don't lie. Check out the GM forums and see if you can find any argument whatsoever about their shifter. None. Nada. Zip. Maybe 1 disgruntled customer here or there, but the Ram, Jeep, and other FCA forums are full of this type of thread; many people just don't like the dial.

I'm not going to go through and look for this...however I can tell you a column shifter removes any vehicle from my consideration.

However I did not make a post about it. :) (or I guess I did now...damn!)

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It took me approximately 1 month with my first one (2013 Ram 1500) to get used to it. The only time I have "difficulty" with it is when (or after) driving my wife's Grand Cherokee with the console shifter. I reach for a phantom knob/shifter. But I get over that in about 1 minute or less. I do like it over the other shifters.

The dial shifter has been around for almost 9 years or so in FCA's products, and based on the newest FCA/Stellantis designs (see the new Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee L designs), it isn't going away, whether a minority of us dislike it or not.

If you absolutely hate it, go out and order a TRX. We'll call the console shifter there your $70k (or more) option; the Hellcat engine is just a side benefit. ;)

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It took me approximately 1 month with my first one (2013 Ram 1500) to get used to it. The only time I have "difficulty" with it is when (or after) driving my wife's Grand Cherokee with the console shifter. I reach for a phantom knob/shifter. But I get over that in about 1 minute or less. I do like it over the other shifters.

The dial shifter has been around for almost 9 years or so in FCA's products, and based on the newest FCA/Stellantis designs (see the new Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee L designs), it isn't going away, whether a minority of us dislike it or not.

If you absolutely hate it, go out and order a TRX. We'll call the console shifter there your $70k (or more) option; the Hellcat engine is just a side benefit. ;)
I agree, I prefer the RAM-style shifter actually, and I've used Column shifters from Old Chevy's and new Mercedes', Console Shifters from Ford's and Hyundai's as well. It being around for almost a decade is a good point too. Don't like it that much? Then don't get a Ram. Not sure what else to say.

pensfan

Reaction score
Ford's new collapsible shifter is a needlessly complicated design compared to the simplicity of the knob. The new design shifter is supposed to allow a flat work space when not in motion. The Ram does that with a simple knob. A review of the '21 F150 on another site commented on how cheap the plastic on the shifter felt. They were already hearing creaks out of it. Sounds just like the cheap console design on the new Explorer.
The Knob just works without having to look at it. You know when you are in Park or Drive because there is no more movement in the knob. With the electronic interfaces, there is no need for a physical shifter that takes console space. It took all of one test drive for me to get used to the Knob.

pensfan

Reaction score
Ford is charging $165 for the privilege of getting the collapsible shifter over their standard shifter. Maybe they are trying to see what the feedback is on it before they make it standard. Seems like a needlessly complicated component, much like the GMC multi function tailgate. In my eyes the Knob wins this round for simplicity and function.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ford is charging $165 for the privilege of getting the collapsible shifter over their standard shifter. Maybe they are trying to see what the feedback is on it before they make it standard. Seems like a needlessly complicated component, much like the GMC multi function tailgate. In my eyes the Knob wins this round for simplicity and function.
Actually, the MultiPro tailgate proved to be popular, evidently. GMC announced recently it was going to be standard on every GMC 1500 except the base model.
And they're brought it to the Chevy 1500s as well, changing it slightly to "MultiFlex."

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, the MultiPro tailgate proved to be popular, evidently. GMC announced recently it was going to be standard on every GMC 1500 except the base model.
And they're brought it to the Chevy 1500s as well, changing it slightly to "MultiFlex."
can't wait to see all the dented tailgates from flopping down on a hitch. the MFT from Ram is so much simpler

pensfan

Reaction score
can't wait to see all the dented tailgates from flopping down on a hitch. the MFT from Ram is so much simpler
I would imagine the GMC tailgate is very expensive to replace or repair. Also, the snow and salt from the northern winters will probably do some damage in a few years.

86grand

Reaction score
Just curious as to whether anyone has information on a facelift for the 2022 model year. Historically, three to four model years usually yield some type of cosmetic changes. 2021 seemed to be a major technology update. I was wondering if a slight change to the front fascia would be next?

I love my 2019 big horn but I like to update every 3-5 years. Thanks!
Too soon, I wanna enjoy my 2021 for at least 24 hours before being teases with something new

86grand

Reaction score
I am wondering as well, The GM's are getting a facelift for 2022 and their current design actually came out about 6 months after the current 5th gen ram.
The GMs are way overdue for a facelift or even roll back to the last generation. Their redesign took a great looking truck and made it where die hard chevy guys went and bought an F150

Users who are viewing this thread