5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but isn't the dial shifter made of aluminum? I feels pretty substantial to me, though small. But I get a quality and tangible tactile feel in it's operation.
Not aluminum...cheap cast metal like zinc or something. I agree the tactile is good.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you, but isn't the dial shifter made of aluminum? I feels pretty substantial to me, though small. But I get a quality and tangible tactile feel in it's operation.
AAAhhhh. For the days of the three on the tree, four on the floor, back when were men, women were women, and sheep were nervous. Those were the days before touch screens. We had nobs to twist and gears to shift. Oh, wait a minuit, we don't like nobs. Sorry. Carry on.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
AAAhhhh. For the days of the three on the tree, four on the floor, back when were men, women were women, and sheep were nervous. Those were the days before touch screens. We had nobs to twist and gears to shift. Oh, wait a minuit, we don't like nobs. Sorry. Carry on.

Lol, I get you. I mean I have an E46 & E90 BMW sedans, both with manual transmissions. Even though they are expensive to keep running, I don't want to get rid of them because manuals are getting harder to get. Though I don't mind my RAMS nob, rather actually have a column shifter than a console shifter, at least on my RAM, don't want to loose that awesome center console and flexible tray.

silver billet

Reaction score

It's more the very weak and small indents, for a start it should be harder to turn and have deeper "notches".

PostPremium

Reaction score
A shifter needs strong, noticable feedback. It's an important control, and it should have feedback in proportion to its significance. You don't want some light/plasticy control where you can't tell what its doing. I noticed you picked the silliest word we chose to describe it, to get your laughs and try to deride the argument, but it is the truth regardless. It is way too soft and feminine and delicate. Not because I'm a man and I need manly controls, but because the shifter is an important control that needs to be differentiated from the other soft and feminine controls already there, such as the volume and fan controls.

Incidentally, Ram did screw up with the ignition too, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Why did I read this post in Barry White's voice? Nuff said. :ROFLMAO:

Kooch80

Reaction score
A shifter needs strong, noticable feedback. It's an important control, and it should have feedback in proportion to its significance. You don't want some light/plasticy control where you can't tell what its doing. I noticed you picked the silliest word we chose to describe it, to get your laughs and try to deride the argument, but it is the truth regardless. It is way too soft and feminine and delicate. Not because I'm a man and I need manly controls, but because the shifter is an important control that needs to be differentiated from the other soft and feminine controls already there, such as the volume and fan controls.

Incidentally, Ram did screw up with the ignition too, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Not the truth just an opinion. I get just as much feedback from the dial was I did a stalk shifter. I happen to like the dial shifter, my opinion. I also happen to have twigs and berries. 😱

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The dial doesn't bother me either way, only issue I have it is that it's round and in an area with other round dials you can easily get confused about in the heat of the moment, like not quite making that U-turn and having to reverse and go forward again while everyone looks at you.

Really easy to confuse the radio or temp dial instead or vice versa :)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dial doesn't bother me either way, only issue I have it is that it's round and in an area with other round dials you can easily get confused about in the heat of the moment, like not quite making that U-turn and having to reverse and go forward again while everyone looks at you.

Really easy to confuse the radio or temp dial instead or vice versa :)
Just be glad it isn't a four speed dial. You'd ruin your hearing.

silver billet

Reaction score
Well gentlemen, the stats don't lie. Check out the GM forums and see if you can find any argument whatsoever about their shifter. None. Nada. Zip. Maybe 1 disgruntled customer here or there, but the Ram, Jeep, and other FCA forums are full of this type of thread; many people just don't like the dial.

Since I've gotten use to it and no longer care (really), I'm just going to drop out of this discussion as there is no point. However I maintain the argument that one should not have to "get used" to a shifter, and it should not take the 1.5+ years it took me. I also mantain there are improvments which could/should be made to it.

Peace, hope we can all enjoy our Rams!

jimchi

Reaction score

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new tahoe/yukon shifter is a disaster too. I was referring to the current column shifter in the 1500's.
The '22 1500s are due to receive an updated interior similar to (or the same as) the new Tahoe/Yukon so they'll be debating GM's push/pull button shifter choice soon too. I'll take the Ram's knob any day of the week over that.
2021-Chevrolet-Tahoe-RST-Interior-003-steering-wheel-gauge-cluster-center-stack-infotainment-screen-1024x683.jpg

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from a manual transmission, I don't find much feedback in any automatics... I'll always miss the notchy mechanical throws of a manual. Plus, for extra manliness, I can always use a nice big girthy shift knob to row through the gears. :ROFLMAO:

this thread is hilarious

Users who are viewing this thread