5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM1500 lost engine power while driving

changeram

Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to come on here and check if anyone else has experienced something similar.

This past weekend while I was driving in the neighborhood at around 25 miles/h the truck with only 7k miles on it lost engine power on me. Right when I was making a left turn, I felt the engine has lost power and lights under the shift knob started blinking. The center screen displayed "push down brake pedal to shift to P" or something similar to that. The truck slowed down and gradually came to a stop. I tried to switch to P and back to D to get going again as there was a vehicle behind me and was unsuccessful. All of a sudden the shift knob turned by itself back to P (I did not know it can turn by itself!). I had to turn off the ignition and restart to get the truck into gears and going again. I was not able to repeat the error after driving around for another 15 mins.

Right now the truck is at the dealer to be looked at.

changeram

Reaction score
Sounds like you have eTorque. It’s been a known issue with the generator. There is a TSB for it.

It’s ridiculous Ram hasn’t issued a recall, this is clearly a safety issue.
Yes sir it is eTorque. And I agree 100% it's a safety issue.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh snaps, hope they get it fixed. I don't want that happening to me

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds familiar to other threads with similar issue. I can’t recall the TSB tho. I think there’s and issue with the A/S/S module?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @changeram!

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle's engine concerns and would like to offer our assistance in tandem with your dealer. Please send us a private message with your mileage as well as any revelant information you would like to share to start a conversation with our team.

Hannah
Ram Cares

changeram

Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to come on here and check if anyone else has experienced something similar.

This past weekend while I was driving in the neighborhood at around 25 miles/h the truck with only 7k miles on it lost engine power on me. Right when I was making a left turn, I felt the engine has lost power and lights under the shift knob started blinking. The center screen displayed "push down brake pedal to shift to P" or something similar to that. The truck slowed down and gradually came to a stop. I tried to switch to P and back to D to get going again as there was a vehicle behind me and was unsuccessful. All of a sudden the shift knob turned by itself back to P (I did not know it can turn by itself!). I had to turn off the ignition and restart to get the truck into gears and going again. I was not able to repeat the error after driving around for another 15 mins.

I want to provide an update to this.

The truck has been at the dealership for 10 days now. The dealer has not contacted me at all. Ram care representative called them and could not get through or get any update. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would be making a visit to the dealership

RamCares

Reaction score
Greetings, @changeram

We're sorry to hear that you are feeling frustrated and would like to look into this. If interested, we encourage you to continue our conversation via private message so we can investigate this matter further.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Shorty44

Reaction score
Check out the engine stalled/shut off board on here and you will see you are not alone and no fix yet

fudpucker

Reaction score

Had that happen to a 1999 Silverado. Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator.

changeram

Reaction score
Just want to provide an update on this. The dealership determined it was caused by "rack n pinion shorted bus". They replaced the steering gear and set the toe adjustment and returned the vehicle to me. That was back in Oct 2021. It has been ok since.

This morning, about 5 months and 5000 miles later, I am having the same issue all over again. This time I was making a turn onto a major road with my daughter sitting in the back. I lost power and had to stop on the curb. With the experience from last time, I knew what was happening and was able to capture a picture of the speedometer screen right after we made a full stop.

The behavior of the vehicle is identical to the first time. Making a turn -> lost power -> stop -> car shift itself back to P -> parking brake applied.

This makes me think that the issue was not resolved during the first service. Frustrating as it is, this time the situation is actually quite dangerous. @RamCares Please contact me.

Attachments

• IMG-7319.jpg
    IMG-7319.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 75

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @changeram,

We regret to hear that your vehicle concerns are still ongoing. Our team just responded to your corresponding private message and would like to continue our conversation! Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Hannah
Ram Cares

LakesAZ

Reaction score
So it looks like the engine is running, as the tach shows. Did it rev up when you gave it the gas? If it did then I would guess it would be in the transmission. These are just wild guesses as I have not had this problem, and I'm not a car mechanic.

changeram

Reaction score
So it looks like the engine is running, as the tach shows. Did it rev up when you gave it the gas? If it did then I would guess it would be in the transmission. These are just wild guesses as I have not had this problem, and I'm not a car mechanic.
I did not try to rev once I saw the warning message, as I knew what's going to happen based on my experience from the first time. I'm not sure what it is but people here with similar issues seem to believe it's the e-torque.

D. Jimenez

Reaction score

I was wondering if the found out what caused this and how they fixed it. I just experienced the same issue and will be taking the truck to the dealer to have it checked.

Users who are viewing this thread