5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM1500 lost engine power while driving

Hb92

Reaction score
2022 1500 bighorn 4wd etorque 5.7

truck did it for the first time this winter. It happened today and <30 days ago. Both times the truck had sat for 2-3 days and died within the first 5 minutes of driving. Both times it occured at lower speed (luckily). The first time was BEFORE the hybrid system recall, today was after. Made no difference.

The one thing I want to know from the others experiencing this: what was your battery voltage reading in the cluster immediately after this stall?

Usually I drive around ~14.5V but after I restart the truck after these stalls, the voltage is below 12V and the battery light is on the cluster. It will not charge back above 12V

@RamCares I want your help corresponding with my dealer, but also, buyback this truck

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

truck did it for the first time this winter. It happened today and <30 days ago. Both times the truck had sat for 2-3 days and died within the first 5 minutes of driving. Both times it occured at lower speed (luckily). The first time was BEFORE the hybrid system recall, today was after. Made no difference.

The one thing I want to know from the others experiencing this: what was your battery voltage reading in the cluster immediately after this stall?

Usually I drive around ~14.5V but after I restart the truck after these stalls, the voltage is below 12V and the battery light is on the cluster. It will not charge back above 12V

@RamCares I want your help corresponding with my dealer, but also, buyback this truck
We'd love to get you some assistance! Would you mind sending us a direct message so we can dig into this together?

Callie
Ram Cares

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

New updates released 1/26/23 for this concern

Attachments

• RSU.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Not sure how the key is on said truck but my 2012 longhorn it was the ignition switch that would cause it.

nealon13

Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to come on here and check if anyone else has experienced something similar.

This past weekend while I was driving in the neighborhood at around 25 miles/h the truck with only 7k miles on it lost engine power on me. Right when I was making a left turn, I felt the engine has lost power and lights under the shift knob started blinking. The center screen displayed "push down brake pedal to shift to P" or something similar to that. The truck slowed down and gradually came to a stop. I tried to switch to P and back to D to get going again as there was a vehicle behind me and was unsuccessful. All of a sudden the shift knob turned by itself back to P (I did not know it can turn by itself!). I had to turn off the ignition and restart to get the truck into gears and going again. I was not able to repeat the error after driving around for another 15 mins.

Right now the truck is at the dealer to be looked at.
Just happened to me again for the 4th time in 2 years. 1st time was within the first 2 months but I couldn't recreate the problem so I let it go and now after the 4th time I finally called.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just happened to me again for the 4th time in 2 years. 1st time was within the first 2 months but I couldn't recreate the problem so I let it go and now after the 4th time I finally called.
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with this while your vehicle is at the dealership, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Traindl

Reaction score
This happened to me twice this morning. Happened once when I was in traffic and it died out and went into park. Voltage kept dropping on battery and battery light came on. Made it home and when I was about to back into driveway, it shifted itself into park while I was sideways across the road. Tried once again to put it in reverse but it immediately went back to park. Tried shifting to Drive and it immediately went back to park. After several tries, it finally let me reverse out of street. Terrible safety hazard had this happened on a busy street. Called the dealer and they told me to replace battery and see if this resolved it. Battery was down to 9.5 Volts when I shut it off and it would not restart. Will see if a battery helps but it is crazy that this truck will not function if the battery gets low. Terribly unsafe and concerning.

Users who are viewing this thread