5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can an analog camera be used with the 12" UConnect?
Yes. 2019-2020 has one available analog input that can be configured by enabling the cargo camera. 2021-2022 has two available analog inputs if the bcm is configured to enable the aux trailer cameras.

There’s a catch on the 2019-2020’s though- if you have the surround view system, you can’t activate the analog cargo camera input because it creates a configuration conflict in the BCM.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. 2019-2020 has one available analog input that can be configured by enabling the cargo camera. 2021-2022 has two available analog inputs if the bcm is configured to enable the aux trailer cameras.

There’s a catch on the 2019-2020’s though- if you have the surround view system, you can’t activate the analog cargo camera input because it creates a configuration conflict in the BCM.
Sorry to drive you crazy

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
Would like to thank everyone (Jimmy07, Vincew58, etc) for the time and effort to research and develop this upgrade for everyone, especially the 19-20 owners and figuring out the slave BCM trick. The harness from Jimmyy07 is well built and protected so shouldnt have any issues once installed. I just got done with upgrading mine, it was pretty straightforward and took me about 1hr 20 min and I took my time to route and hide cables as clean as possible. Using the digital rear view mirror at first is a bit trippy and will take some getting used to, but the field of view is so much better than the conventional mirror. I highly recommend when you get all the parts is to bench test connected to the truck before truly installing it. I got kind of concerned at first when I didnt see anything but it does take a little time for the screen to turn on.

I have some tips for the install mainly for those with Forward Collision Warning and panoramic sunroofs. 10 foot fakra cable (i personally bought the 10' one from pasternac) maybe a tad short depending where you want to run it. 10 foot was fine for routing along the headliner and weather stripping to the rear of the cab, then to the guard where the rear window slides and then to the CHMSL. It will not be long enough if you try to route this through the passenger side instead because of the fakra connectors favoring the drivers side on both ends. If you really want it on the passenger side whatever reason I would get a 12 foot to be safe. For those without the panoramic sunroof or any sunroof you can run a more direct route with the fakra cable and 10 foot is more than enough.

As for the mirror bezel for those with FCW, the first thing you want to do is remove the small cover thats in the center, at the the base of the mirror stalk and goes to the headliner. Just use a pick at the top and it pops off easily. The main bezel is held on by 4 pretty aggressive clips. You want to start at the passenger side lower corner, youll see a notch where you can insert a plastic interior pry tool. Start there and pry it off. The remaining 3 can pop off with just you pulling with a decent amount of force. I watched a video online where the guy used a tool to pry it off and it cracked the windshield (they were replacing the windshield anyways in the video) and it made me paranoid. After you installed and verified everything works, now to put the surround back dont just go cranking the bezel, you can break the tabs which are fixed to the windshield or break the socket the clips go into. For me at least, I had to remove those 4 clips from the bezel, bend back some of the spikes (prevents you from installing the bezel), and put the clips back on the tabs on the windshield. Then you can take the bezel and it snaps in easy. If you just went and cranked it, the spikes would prevent it from seating and you'll be breaking something.

For stashing the slave BCM (I bought a used 22 one off ebay), I put it in this cubby area thats above and right of the gas pedal and hid the harness under the carpet for now. The factory BCM is directly opposite of this spot in the drivers foot well if you were curious . Initially, I was thinking of putting it in the space thats behind the steering shaft where another module is mounted, double siding taping it on top of that module, but but it didnt seem to fit cleanly. Another option is under the drivers seat, even at the lowest setting it wont crush the BCM or connectors.

1673905168983.png 1673905180689.png 1673905189997.png

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I created a how to on this.

Last edited:

jdcoronadom

Reaction score
Thanks vicentw56 I saw you post and now follow for doing my upgrade.

Somebody can find where order the mirror in a normal price, I have the third light already installed and the wire ordered in Amazon, and I'm trying to find the mirror but i only find high prices, $600-$800.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Got everything installed and working great. One question though I cannot get my current plastics to clip to the new mirror. I bought the mirror with part number 68448641ab. I noticed on the infotainment install video he has part number 68448639ab and it clicks right in. Do I need to purchase the largest plastic cover to fit on the mirror or has someone found a trick to make it work. The pic looks like it’s on but behind the mirror it’s way off from sitting flush to the window.
1677986523818.jpeg

1677986554245.jpeg

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got everything installed and working great. One question though I cannot get my current plastics to clip to the new mirror. I bought the mirror with part number 68448641ab. I noticed on the infotainment install video he has part number 68448639ab and it clicks right in. Do I need to purchase the largest plastic cover to fit on the mirror or has someone found a trick to make it work. The pic looks like it’s on but behind the mirror it’s way off from sitting flush to the window.
View attachment 153716

View attachment 153717
Did you get the wrong mirror?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, same boat as me. I bought my mirror used, and didn’t realize the difference of part numbers back when I grabbed it. My bezel does not fit properly either. Just hangs loosely. You need the mirror that infotainment has in their install video. You can’t just buy the larger plastic surround as it won’t line up with the mounting points on the windshield. If unable to return and swap, you might get lucky and find someone willing to trade if they also bought the wrong mirror. I’ve just dealt with mine for the last few months and plan to correct it eventually, but hasn’t bothered me too much. If it were rattling and vibrating around it would be a much different story.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Did you get the wrong mirror?
To fit my current plastics … yes I got the wrong one. That being said when I called about parts the 39ab was back ordered so I got what they could get which was 41ab. Everything works perfect its just the plastics don’t clip on to the mirror.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Yep, same boat as me. I bought my mirror used, and didn’t realize the difference of part numbers back when I grabbed it. My bezel does not fit properly either. Just hangs loosely. You need the mirror that infotainment has in their install video. You can’t just buy the larger plastic surround as it won’t line up with the mounting points on the windshield. If unable to return and swap, you might get lucky and find someone willing to trade if they also bought the wrong mirror. I’ve just dealt with mine for the last few months and plan to correct it eventually, but hasn’t bothered me too much. If it were rattling and vibrating around it would be a much different story.
The 41ab mirror has to have plastics that work with it though right? Do you happen to know what those r? I luckily didn’t have the issue with the bezel, mine is snug to the windshield. Is there a way to remove the mirror at the ball joint and then just change the post back to one that works?

Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To fit my current plastics … yes I got the wrong one. That being said when I called about parts the 39ab was back ordered so I got what they could get which was 41ab. Everything works perfect its just the plastics don’t clip on to the mirror.
It works, sort of.
They have different part numbers for a reason.
It seems like you made an intentional compromise or just didn't do enough research before purchasing.
All of the necessary information is in this thread.
🤷‍♂️

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright to all of those who have installed the digital rear view mirror and lost auto dim for 2021+ vehicles only these are the configurations you need to use to get Auto Dimming back and the soft key to work again. Thanks to the help of @Jimmy07 we were able to find the following to get it back.

So, again for 2021+ owners who swapped in the digital rear view mirror, you need to change the following configurations in AlfaOBD and the auto dim feature will work.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES

Antnida

Reaction score
I lost the auto dim on my 2019 too, do we know what might have caused that function to be deactivated once the new mirror and bcm installed?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I lost the auto dim on my 2019 too, do we know what might have caused that function to be deactivated once the new mirror and bcm installed?
The only thing you can do is install a 2021+ BCM in place of your current BCM.

Splatter

Reaction score
Okay folks this is an exciting mod adventure. I’ve read this and the other related threads a few times, but I’m confused on the point about two cameras. On a 2019 Laramie with FCW, ACC, 360 surround view, 12” screen, 2022 BCM slave, and 2023 CHMSL…

With a two-input DRVM, is it possible to add a second cargo camera (in addition to the normal rear view one) to this setup and switch between views on the mirror?

I’ll probably get flamed for seeming like I neglected to read all the posts on here and HDRams, but I read them all multiple times!

Thanks to [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] [mention]vincentw56 [/mention] and [mention]cskindt [/mention] for helpful replies in the various threads. Seriously great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanito

Reaction score

hi, can somebody share their configuration setting for 360 cameras, i think i activated a analog input accidently and now i have a conflict in the bcm, my 360 is not working and am getting a code U0264-00, please help me lol
2020 ram 2500 laramie 12 ucconect with 360 cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online