5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

garvey593

Reaction score
Hey there!
I'm kinda a newbie lol - 2020 Ram 1500 Night Edition 5.7 (Auto dim mirror, no safety package(s))
AlfaOBD says I've got the MY21 Body Computer
I have the digital mirror, and the LED CHMSL I tried plugging it in with the Farka and existing harness and I get the 2 arrow connectivity issue others in the forum have stated.
I also read that its due to missing a pin or two in the harness, is it as easy as swapping the harness from pass door to mirror?
Alternatively, do we think there is some software bypass we could do at the mirror to allow the video signal to come thru?

Cesar592

Reaction score
this is what i get in my 2020 Laramie

Attachments

• 2A410F62-3ACC-4BE4-BBC7-E18B01D3DD5F.jpeg
    2A410F62-3ACC-4BE4-BBC7-E18B01D3DD5F.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 220

chuck01835

Reaction score
Hey there!
I'm kinda a newbie lol - 2020 Ram 1500 Night Edition 5.7 (Auto dim mirror, no safety package(s))
AlfaOBD says I've got the MY21 Body Computer
I have the digital mirror, and the LED CHMSL I tried plugging it in with the Farka and existing harness and I get the 2 arrow connectivity issue others in the forum have stated.
I also read that its due to missing a pin or two in the harness, is it as easy as swapping the harness from pass door to mirror?
Alternatively, do we think there is some software bypass we could do at the mirror to allow the video signal to come thru?
I heard it only works on a 2021.

chuck01835

Reaction score
yea It only works on 21 but I wanted to see what actually happens and if you can buy a 2021 bcm and reprogram it yourself with alfaodb
If you end up bailing on the project I can take the digital mirror off your hands if you wanted

bdel10

Reaction score
i bought the cable from amazon
If memory serves that is a connection error. Might be a stupid question but there have been guys that purchased the cable from Amazon and had to fiddle with it for the connection to work. Did you try reseating and such to see if things change? I know there were folks that compared the wiring from a 2021 and all that's there is the 3 wires for LIN, power and ground.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been following along in this thread for awhile now. Seeing how relatively easy it is to add on the '21s, It definitely caught my interest. I've held off just due to the pricing and priority level of other projects on my truck, but I recently came across everything needed for this swap on FB Marketplace in my area for a steal. The guy removed it right before trading in his truck for an upgrade. I'm working through a few other issues on my truck currently, but once those are sorted I'll knock out the install and update the thread with anything I may find relevant.

Really appreciate the contributions within this thread, and I hope Jimmy and those working towards a solution for the 19's and 20's find success soon!

Attachments

• 12692B55-5658-443F-B72B-A2C7DF5A5603.jpeg
    12692B55-5658-443F-B72B-A2C7DF5A5603.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Abesosa

Reaction score
I've been following along in this thread for awhile now. Seeing how relatively easy it is to add on the '21s, It definitely caught my interest. I've held off just due to the pricing and priority level of other projects on my truck, but I recently came across everything needed for this swap on FB Marketplace in my area for a steal. The guy removed it right before trading in his truck for an upgrade. I'm working through a few other issues on my truck currently, but once those are sorted I'll knock out the install and update the thread with anything I may find relevant.

Really appreciate the contributions within this thread, and I hope Jimmy and those working towards a solution for the 19's and 20's find success soon!

How much were you able
To pick everything up
For?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much were you able
To pick everything up
For?

$650. I just really hope everything works like it should or it might not be as good of a deal I originally thought it was lol. I’m sure it does though. Everything looks to be in really good condition and he said it works exactly as I’d expect it to. Will find out soon enough!

Whois502

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Big Horn that had the auto dimming mirror. Put 5% tint on the rears and after reading through here I upgraded to the Digital rear view mirror. It worked without any problems, I can now see behind me at night and without any obstructions in my view.

However, the plastic mirror cover does not seem to fit back around the new mirror, as it does not have any of the catches to attach it to. Does anyone know what part numbers i may need to complete the factory look? I have looked and am assuming i need the “premium” lower and upper mirror covers. Just hoping someone can help me get the right part #’s.

My amazon cable worked flawlessly with no issues.

The mirror I used was part# 68448641AB

Thank you

Abesosa

Reaction score
$650. I just really hope everything works like it should or it might not be as good of a deal I originally thought it was lol. I’m sure it does though. Everything looks to be in really good condition and he said it works exactly as I’d expect it to. Will find out soon enough!

Excited to hear how it turned out

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excited to hear how it turned out
Still all boxed up in the garage unfortunately. I’ve been dealing with various check engine and warning lights since early August. It’s been to the dealer 3 times already, and it appears I’ll be heading back this week since they’ve returned yet again. I’m eager to get the mirror and light installed, but want the other issues resolved first. Hopefully soon.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
However, the plastic mirror cover does not seem to fit back around the new mirror, as it does not have any of the catches to attach it to. Does anyone know what part numbers i may need to complete the factory look? I have looked and am assuming i need the “premium” lower and upper mirror covers. Just hoping someone can help me get the right part #’s.
I haven’t installed mine yet, but will likely be in the same boat once I do. Was unaware that the basic mirror surround wouldn’t install over the digital rear view.

Cesar592

Reaction score
some update for the 19 20 hopefully jimmy and Vicente56 can make it work for everyone

Attachments

• 5DAC9DAC-64B2-42C9-9761-91F715240F2D.jpeg
    5DAC9DAC-64B2-42C9-9761-91F715240F2D.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2576AF8E-CA46-465A-B39B-B9518B9BABD2.jpeg
    2576AF8E-CA46-465A-B39B-B9518B9BABD2.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 71

Whois502

Reaction score
Curious if you have the same issue…for now i just put the plastic pieces together and made it look okay just doesn’t snug up to the windshield. No rattles at least ha! I have the same part numbers for the mirror cover that infotainment lists for the 1500 on their website that it says are required. I got the mirror off ebay so maybe the version of the mirror I got.

Now to extend it with a cable i can hook up when towing a camper. Thinking of buying the “replacement camera”, third party housing mount and appropriate lengths of cable. Just switch between cables for which camera im using at the mirror. Since this mirror only has one camera input vs the 2500’s tow digital mirror.

Happy with it though, it is definitely needed if you go dark on the rear tint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online