5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you asking for an update? So, Jimmy and I have been working on this back and forth. The 19/20 will need a newer BCM. I have a 21 that we've been trying to replace my current 20 with, but we've not been very successful. We even met up to have Jimmy use his software to do a BCM replace. That still didn't work. This could be an issue with my BCM as it has been worked on by a few different people. Jimmy does know that a couple of 4th gen owners got it working in their trucks by making the newer BCM a slave. Basically, the BCM needs power and ground and a wire going to the mirror to send a simple signal at startup to tell the mirror to activate. This critical piece is all there is needed (that is why you need the newer BCM). As of right now, Jimmy is going to make the required wiring harness for me. He is just waiting on a connector. Once I get that from him, I will give it a try again. Since this has been done with the older trucks, I am confident that this will work (unless my BCM is totally screwed up).

vincentw56

Reaction score
Looks like there are two part numbers for the mirror so that is probably why the cover doesn't fit properly. 68448639AB is for trucks without a DASM (FCW, ACC, etc.). and 68448641AB is for those with a DASM.

Last edited:

Cesar592

Reaction score
Are you asking for an update? So, Jimmy and I have been working on this back and forth. The 19/20 will need a newer BCM. I have a 21 that we've been trying to replace my current 20 with, but we've not been very successful. We even met up to have Jimmy use his software to do a BCM replace. That still didn't work. This could be an issue with my BCM as it has been worked on by a few different people. Jimmy does know that a couple of 4th gen owners got it working in their trucks by making the newer BCM a slave. Basically, the BCM needs power and ground and a wire going to the mirror to send a simple signal at startup to tell the mirror to activate. This critical piece is all there is needed (that is why you need the newer BCM). As of right now, Jimmy is going to make the required wiring harness for me. He is just waiting on a connector. Once I get that from him, I will give it a try again. Since this has been done with the older trucks, I am confident that this will work (unless my BCM is totally screwed up).
you mean can you buy a bcm from a used 2021 and just feed it power and ground and run a cable to the digital mirror since you cant put a new bcm in and reprogram it to my current codes

vincentw56

Reaction score
you mean can you buy a bcm from a used 2021 and just feed it power and ground and run a cable to the digital mirror since you cant put a new bcm in and reprogram it to my current codes
Yes, exactly

Whois502

Reaction score
Looks like there are two part numbers for the mirror so that is probably why the cover doesn't fit properly. 68448639AB is for trucks without a DASM (FCW, ACC, etc.). and 68448641AB is for those without a DASM.

Thanks, that is the issue. Wrong part number for the mirror. Maybe someone will need to swap one day or ill try the premium surround. The overlap would be covered by the window tint brow I have. Definitely the cheaper option vs getting another mirror and then selling this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back from the dealer late last week and I think everything is finally good now so I decided to take some time to knock this upgrade out yesterday evening.

I don’t really have much to add that hasn’t already been said. Snaking the Fakra cable through the headliner is definitely the biggest challenge of this in my opinion, and even that isn’t necessarily difficult, it just takes a little time and patience. I had better luck starting from the back of the vehicle and working my way towards the front of the truck with the cable. I originally started with trying to use a metal coat hanger to guide the wire, but eventually decided to break out the fish tape and I had it ran within a few minutes after going that route.

Like @Whois502 called out on his, the basic mirror surround on my bighorn no longer fits snugly in place after installing mirror # 68448641AB. Was unaware of this issue initially, but sounds like the other digital mirror part # that @vincentw56 listed may be the workaround for this? I did get the cover to snap back in place around the mirror, but without that additional latching point on the mirror, it definitely sits loosely over everything. I’m going to roll with it as is for now, but I’m certain my OCD is going to make me address this eventually. I’ll post an update if I ever get this little detail ironed out, but aside from that, everything else is working perfectly.

F5C41D61-D8DF-412A-BD02-AE1737B281E0.jpeg
99AD26B4-A846-4E05-9378-1E50B417FF68.jpeg

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
2019/2020 we now have a solution thanks to @Jimmy07. You will need the mirror, brake light and 2021+ BCM. Jimmy can make the harness for you. Or you can try to see if you can get the dealer to replace yours with this new one. I couldn't get mine to work. If you don't get it replaced, you will need to stuff it somewhere in the truck. I haven't finished mine yet, but I took a picture of it sitting in the passenger floor for now.

digitalmirror.jpg
pcm.jpg

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
2019/2020 we now have a solution thanks to @Jimmy07. You will need the mirror, brake light and 2021+ BCM. Jimmy can make the harness for you. Or you can try to see if you can get the dealer to replace yours with this new one. I couldn't get mine to work. If you don't get it replaced, you will need to stuff it somewhere in the truck. I haven't finished mine yet, but I took a picture of it sitting in the passenger floor for now.

View attachment 143388
View attachment 143389
What signal does the 2021 BCM send to the mirror? What protocol is used?

Cheers

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 143388
View attachment 143389
Awesome work guys!

vincentw56

Reaction score
what do you mean try if the dealer can replace with this new
You can try to see if the dealer will install the new BCM for you. It requires them to do it because they have to set the VIN. I wasn't able to get mine to work as a replacement. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with it. I got it from another member on here who had tried before. I don't know if that messed it up. Jimmy and I had no real luck either so we are just using it as a slave. Its only job is to initialize the mirror. It isn't tied into to the truck any other way.

Tbranella

Reaction score
You can try to see if the dealer will install the new BCM for you. It requires them to do it because they have to set the VIN. I wasn't able to get mine to work as a replacement. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with it. I got it from another member on here who had tried before. I don't know if that messed it up. Jimmy and I had no real luck either so we are just using it as a slave. Its only job is to initialize the mirror. It isn't tied into to the truck any other way.

what does the new harness plug into?
how much does Jimmy want for the harness?

knightro84

Reaction score
Nice work! Now that there is a solution I'll probably try this again. Can you provide a part number for the BCM you're using? Looks like it ends in 414AE, but would be nice to have the full P/N. Now I wish I didn't sell the mirror when I tried this the first time. I'd also be interested in hearing from Jimmy how much he'd want for the harness. Also, is there any programming required for the 2021 BCM via AlfaOBD?

EDIT: nevermind on the part number, looks like it is 68496414AE.

vincentw56

Reaction score
what does the new harness plug into?
how much does Jimmy want for the harness?
The new harness plugs into the BCM and the mirror. On the mirror side, you plug one end into the truck connection and the other into the new mirror. The truck connection provides the power to the mirror and BCM. As for the cost of the harness, you would need to ask @Jimmy07.
Nice work! Now that there is a solution I'll probably try this again. Can you provide a part number for the BCM you're using? Looks like it ends in 414AE, but would be nice to have the full P/N. Now I wish I didn't sell the mirror when I tried this the first time. I'd also be interested in hearing from Jimmy how much he'd want for the harness. Also, is there any programming required for the 2021 BCM via AlfaOBD?

EDIT: nevermind on the part number, looks like it is 68496414AE.

Nothing needs to be done with AlfaODB.

Cesar592

Reaction score
I wonder why infotainment that according to bcm reprogramming cannot do it with a completely new bcm or only the dealer will be able to clone the old bcm to the new 2021 bcm🤔

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To recap for pre-2021 owners that want to do this:
You need a 2021-2022 BCM, and it can be for a DT 1500, or an HD Ram. It can be new or used. If it’s new, I’m not 100% certain if it’ll work right out of the box because it’s still in ship mode and its program status is not set. If you mail it to me, I can change those settings on the bench and send it back with the harness, or it can be done if you have Jscan. If it’s used, nothing needs to be done to it.

As far as straight up swapping in a brand new 2021 or 2022 DT BCM (instead of using it as a slave), I’m not sure if the dealer can do that or not. Someone would have to be the first to try. I tried running the BCM replace procedure on Vincent’s with a dealer scan tool and aftermarket wiTECH 2 subscription and his correct PIN, but I got an error that I don’t know what it means.

So, if just using a BCM as a slave like Vincent did, you’ll be looking for these BCM part numbers:
2021 DT- 68496414AE
2022 DT- 68526275AD
2021 HD- 68482884AD
2022 HD- 68526535AC

2021 mirror, no forward collision warning- 68448639AB
2021 mirror, forward collision warning equipped- 68448641AB
2022 mirror, with tow mode camera input, no FCW- 68519111AA
2022 mirror, with tow mode camera input, FCW equipped- 68519222AA

If you do not have FCW, and you do not have automatic high beams, use the mirror part numbers for a FCW equipped vehicle so the mirror cover will fit back on.

If you do not have FCW, but you do have automatic high beams, the automatic high beam feature will no longer work when using a digital rear view mirror.

Auto dim will not work for the rear view mirror, either.

TK9138

Reaction score
To recap for pre-2021 owners that want to do this:
You need a 2021-2022 BCM, and it can be for a DT 1500, or an HD Ram. It can be new or used. If it’s new, I’m not 100% certain if it’ll work right out of the box because it’s still in ship mode and its program status is not set. If you mail it to me, I can change those settings on the bench and send it back with the harness, or it can be done if you have Jscan. If it’s used, nothing needs to be done to it.

As far as straight up swapping in a brand new 2021 or 2022 DT BCM (instead of using it as a slave), I’m not sure if the dealer can do that or not. Someone would have to be the first to try. I tried running the BCM replace procedure on Vincent’s with a dealer scan tool and aftermarket wiTECH 2 subscription and his correct PIN, but I got an error that I don’t know what it means.

So, if just using a BCM as a slave like Vincent did, you’ll be looking for these BCM part numbers:
2021 DT- 68496414AE
2022 DT- 68526275AD
2021 HD- 68482884AD
2022 HD- 68526535AC

2021 mirror, no forward collision warning- 68448639AB
2021 mirror, forward collision warning equipped- 68448641AB
2022 mirror, with tow mode camera input, no FCW- 68519111AA
2022 mirror, with tow mode camera input, FCW equipped- 68519222AA

If you do not have FCW, and you do not have automatic high beams, use the mirror part numbers for a FCW equipped vehicle so the mirror cover will fit back on.

If you do not have FCW, but you do have automatic high beams, the automatic high beam feature will no longer work when using a digital rear view mirror.

Auto dim will not work for the rear view mirror, either.
Before I make the jump I want to confirm.
If I have FCW and auto high beams I need 68448641AB and the only thing I will lose is the auto dimming on the rear view? Is that the same for the side mirrors as well?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Before I make the jump I want to confirm.
If I have FCW and auto high beams I need 68448641AB and the only thing I will lose is the auto dimming on the rear view? Is that the same for the side mirrors as well?
Yes, that's the correct one. No, you won't lose auto from on the other mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread