5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Auto-dimming is a setting on the U-Connect with the digital mirror.
Yeah, I know. Same with all of the auto dimming mirrors. But, when you add the digital mirror later, there's was an issue with auto dimming. It's in this thread.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Same with all of the auto dimming mirrors. But, when you add the digital mirror later, there's was an issue with auto dimming. It's in this thread.

By losing the auto-dim on your rear view mirror does that also lose auto-dim on the side mirrors as well?

Splatter

Reaction score
Gotta say this is a real cliff hanger, out of pure curiosity of is it possible. Wondering, what programming or wiring - or lack thereof - is causing the CHMSL and digital rear view mirror display to not function as a plug-n-play. Spent 2 hours reading the thread. Sorta reminds me of the collaborative effort to understand how 5th gen HD taillights could work with the 4Gs. Kudos to contributors like @Jimmy07, @vincentw56 and countless others who are helping the community better understand their beloved vehicles. Long time listener, first time caller.

2019 1500 Laramie Crew Cab

Montag84

Reaction score
So I'm taking delivery of a 2022 Level 1 TRX sometime in the next week or so (at the dealer out of state and hashing out shipping logistics).

Already have the LED CHMSL sitting in a box in the garage to be installed once the truck comes.

The TRX doesn't have ACC, etc., but from researching everything on this and the ram-trx forum, the TRXs have all the modules to add ACC by simply installing the steering wheel ACC buttons and a dealer flash or AlphaOBD. Also already have the ACC buttons to install once the truck comes.

So, assuming the TRX already has the modules for ACC, then if I add the digital mirror I won't lose auto-high beam? (Referring back to @Jimmy07 post #109 https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/2021-night-edition-third-brake-light.24560/post-370316)

Only feature I'd lose would be auto-dimming side mirrors?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm taking delivery of a 2022 Level 1 TRX sometime in the next week or so (at the dealer out of state and hashing out shipping logistics).

Already have the LED CHMSL sitting in a box in the garage to be installed once the truck comes.

The TRX doesn't have ACC, etc., but from researching everything on this and the ram-trx forum, the TRXs have all the modules to add ACC by simply installing the steering wheel ACC buttons and a dealer flash or AlphaOBD. Also already have the ACC buttons to install once the truck comes.

So, assuming the TRX already has the modules for ACC, then if I add the digital mirror I won't lose auto-high beam? (Referring back to @Jimmy07 post #109 https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/2021-night-edition-third-brake-light.24560/post-370316)

Only feature I'd lose would be auto-dimming side mirrors?
Correct, sounds like you have everything necessary ready to go (except the dealer will most likely not be able to add the ACC sales code). You will probably lose auto dim mirror function only, and I’m not sure why that is, yet.

Montag84

Reaction score
Was able to confirm with a TRX owner that he retained his auto high beams after installing the mirror.

Montag84

Reaction score
Any one have the actual part number for the camera to mirror fakra cable?
Reviving this post, I think the part number may be 68416840AA, which is described as
SKU:
68416840AA
Positions:
Rear
Other Names:
Cable
Description:
Body Wiring Rear

Nothing else in the parts catalog seems to fit.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was able to confirm with a TRX owner that he retained his auto high beams after installing the mirror.
Auto high beams was never a question about working. It is the auto dim mirror feature that doesn’t seem to work. Does his auto dim still work?
Reviving this post, I think the part number may be 68416840AA, which is described as
SKU:
68416840AA
Positions:
Rear
Other Names:
Cable
Description:
Body Wiring Rear

Nothing else in the parts catalog seems to fit.
That’s not it. That one is a fakra B male to fakra H female cable. The DRVM uses a fakra A female to fakra A female cable. The cable is part of the headliner harness, which is glued to the headliner, and can not be bought separately. You would have to buy the headliner to get the correct cable.

Last edited:

Montag84

Reaction score
Auto high beams was never a question about working. It is the auto dim mirror feature that doesn’t seem to work. Does his auto dim still work?

That’s not it. That one is a fakra B male to fakra H female cable. The DRVM uses a fakra A female to fakra A female cable. The cable is part of the headliner harness, which is glued to the headliner, and con not be bought separately. You would have to buy the headliner to get the correct cable.
Struck out there, gonna stick with the Amazon or Pasternak cable. He did not retain autodim, only mentioned what has been mentioned here about possibility of turning it back on with AlphaOBD

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, to start with, I bought the 3rd brake light. Will see where that leads to. Next, the mirror. Will try to reverse engineer it as a stand alone display.

bdel10

Reaction score
Apparently Infotainment is coming out with the solution for the OEM digital mirror and 3rd brake light. It may be a bit more pricey but the price of the OEM mirror and light is expensive enough. So if the folks trying to figure out how to get it to work in the '19 - 20 models can't figure it out then this may be an option for folks who want to stick with OEM parts. They say it was supposed to already been out but because of COVID it's been delayed 'til spring.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently Infotainment is coming out with the solution for the OEM digital mirror and 3rd brake light. It may be a bit more pricey but the price of the OEM mirror and light is expensive enough. So if the folks trying to figure out how to get it to work in the '19 - 20 models can't figure it out then this may be an option for folks who want to stick with OEM parts. They say it was supposed to already been out but because of COVID it's been delayed 'til spring.
Can you post a link to this?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at their web site and cannot find it. They only have one for the Chevy Silverado.

Tbranella

Reaction score

Is it an aftermarket mirror with the OEM LED 3rd brake light?

bdel10

Reaction score
First in talking to the people at Infotainment it will be all OEM parts. The CEO of Infotainment put out a video stating that they will have it out but with COIVD it was delayed and they expect it to come out and be available in the spring. Hope this helps.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First in talking to the people at Infotainment it will be all OEM parts. The CEO of Infotainment put out a video stating that they will have it out but with COIVD it was delayed and they expect it to come out and be available in the spring. Hope this helps.
Do you have a link to that video? If they can do it, we can do it to, but cheaper. I have all the parts. Just waiting to get it going.

Users who are viewing this thread