5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 vs. 2020 RAM 1500

Will Cover

Reaction score
We're almost into the 5th month of this calendar year, does anyone know when the 2020 edition of the RAM 1500 will be released?

I thought I read somewhere (could be just a rumor or something I have made up on my own without truly realizing it) that July may mark the release of the 2020 RAM 1500 edition. Can someone confirm? Also, if July is the date (or whenever it might be), is the 2020 edition the release of the split tailgate (I don't see it as an option to select when configuring a RAM 1500 today)?

I realize the RAM 1500 was just redesigned, so I expect any changes to be minimal between the years. The only thing that I can think of is the split tailgate option, which is why I am asking this question.

TIA.

Will Cover

Reaction score
Has it been discussed on this board as to when the "split-tailgate" will be available to order? FWIW, I'm undecided on if I actually want this or not. I would like to see one in person.

BGRAM

Reaction score
I would imagine the 1500's will be adopting the new style towing mirrors from the 2019 HD's. I bet the reason they were not on the 2019's was that they were still working on the final production models of those mirrors. Also, the 2020 model will feature the new gen EcoDiesel, and it will finally be in the Rebel!

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are the odds we’ll see the 6.4 as an option in the 1500? The competition is running far ahead of Ram in torque and hp. You can get 450hp/510tq in an F150 and 420hp/460tq in a GM truck.

Recent changes have me thinking it could happen;
-removal of 5.7 from the HD lineup
-8spd transmission mated to the 6.4 in the 2019 HD (same transmission used in the 1500)

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Highly doubtful in my opinion, But I’ll be buying one if it does. It just can’t get the mpg to be competitive I don’t think. And you may say that’s stupid, and I’d agree, but that’s just how the market seems to be going.

I guess if they do this I-6 motor and keep the ecodiesel, That should boost the average mpg up and then they could let they hair down a little with a big v8 option.

I was also curious if they would do some kind of “HD” option if you will on these trucks, like GM used to the 1500HD and ford had some random stuff like that. Something to kind of compete in that in between class, like Nissan tried to do but failed.

alangsam

Reaction score
The 6.4 in current form isn’t competitive from a hp torque or efficiency perspective. It’s old technology: no direct injection, iron block, mds is behind the deactivation from GM and ford is getting 500+ft lbs out of a v6. They need to come out with new technology like a turbo 6 that will give them better hp and torque with better mpg. They also have to cut weight.the ram is 400-500 lbs heavier than the competition

alangsam

Reaction score
usually the next years model year starts in Sept.
I heard from a dealer.l late May to order will get you late July delivery. Split tailgate and ecodiesel v2 are the headliners. Let’s hope better build quality as well.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6.4 in current form isn’t competitive from a hp torque or efficiency perspective. It’s old technology: no direct injection, iron block, mds is behind the deactivation from GM and ford is getting 500+ft lbs out of a v6.
Same could be said for the 5.7. A brand new engine is doubtful for 2020 but a 6.4 would be relatively easy. Plus another way to add revenue.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Just hoping what ever improvements or ungraded stuff was done can be transferred to my truck:p

I definitely think there's a good chance some of the problems will be worked out. I took a couple of vin's off of new builds KN800000+) i saw on dealer websites and popped them in the VIN recall search and they all came up ZERO recalls- Now this could mean some of the issues have been addressed, could mean those vins haven't hit the data base YET, but it did show make model year correctly so here's hoping : )

alangsam

Reaction score
Same could be said for the 5.7. A brand new engine is doubtful for 2020 but a 6.4 would be relatively easy. Plus another way to add revenue.
They can’t afford the hit to Corporate mpg that adding in an engine with even worse mileage than the 5.7 to the 1500’s.

alangsam

Reaction score
I definitely think there's a good chance some of the problems will be worked out. I took a couple of vin's off of new builds KN800000+) i saw on dealer websites and popped them in the VIN recall search and they all came up ZERO recalls- Now this could mean some of the issues have been addressed, could mean those vins haven't hit the data base YET, but it did show make model year correctly so here's hoping : )
That’s good detective work.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A few minor trim changes, EcoDiesel return, 6.4 isn't coming to the 1500. American customers that were jealous of the Canadian Sport will be happy. I've got a hunch power folding tow mirrors with the 360 camera could make an appearance for 2020, possibly some options (360 camera, adaptive cruise) being opened up to more trim levels. Production starts end of July.

Last edited:

alangsam

Reaction score
A few minor trim changes, EcoDiesel return, 6.4 isn't coming to the 1500. American customers that were jealous of the Canadian Sport will be happy. I've got a hunch power folding tow mirrors with the 360 camera could make an appearance for 2020, possibly some options (360 camera, adaptive cruise) being opened up to more trim levels. Production starts end of July.
And the split tailgate

Users who are viewing this thread