5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RamBox fit and finish

Jims380da

Reaction score
My local dealer said it is supposed to be avail starting "now" .. he is confirming.

[EDIT] My local dealer confirmed : tailgate not avail for order for him (yet). they (online order) is only doing it in small batches. So if you are able to get in, get it .. I just asked him to add it and he can't ..
[/QUOTE

Im not sure they are offering the ram box with the tailgate yet

graphguy

Reaction score
Wonder what the issue is with the split tailgate. RAM was very clearly quoted as it would be available May 2019.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to lunch with my salesman and asked him about it .. he said that last week when they were putting in my order, the could have grabbed the multi-function .. but today when they "actually" put in the order (I've been hassling them for weeks now), the first batch was already gone (aka not able to preorder until the next batch comes out)(aka 1st come 1st serve)

edgarrian

Reaction score
I hear ya, just seems like $999.99 and it is a grand, is a hefty price for a cooler and you know it will have sealing issue before long. Nothing negative about RAM, just the nature of Nature! :)
With that said as I entertain a new RAM I am considering it, so thanks for your input!

1000 dollars for that isn't a good price. Its a niche idea to attract people to the brand. Which its doing. I doubt that it will be all that great to use. Just like the ram box. To many complaints about fitment. Fitment will get worst over time especially plastic.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
It seems like this is problematic with most ram boxes. Most guys are not really all that happy with the fit. If I was ram id stop production and let it die
Pretty hefty price for a storage box isn’t it?
I hear ya, just seems like $999.99 and it is a grand, is a hefty price for a cooler and you know it will have sealing issue before long. Nothing negative about RAM, just the nature of Nature! :)
With that said as I entertain a new RAM I am considering it, so thanks for your input!
1000 dollars for that isn't a good price. Its a niche idea to attract people to the brand. Which its doing. I doubt that it will be all that great to use. Just like the ram box. To many complaints about fitment. Fitment will get worst over time especially plastic.

Seems overly negative, for a feature you guys dont have and never used. If all you would need it for is a cooler, then its not a feature you should consider.

For guys that use their trucks and need to carry lots of general equipment, the feature is invaluable. Can't say i've seen many regret getting the feature. Most say they'll never get another truck without them (I am one of them). A minor misalignment of the rear lid is peanuts when compared to functional advantages of both boxes. If you don't need the functional advantages, don't buy it.

Way superior solution when compared to buying and setting a toolbox across the front of your bed, or trying to stuff everything under the back seat. Add in the bed extender/divider and a trifold, quick removing tonneau cover and Ram has the most versatile and functional bed/cargo/storage solution.

No sealing issues on my 2015. I think the longer boxes on 6'4" beds are more prone to warp concerns. I've read the latch is adjustable.

Rototerrier

Reaction score

I can see your point. I'm sure there's things that bug the crap out of me that others would consider just fine. I can't stand squeaks and rattles, but don't mind a dent or ding or 2. Same goes with the rambox. The fitment is good enough and the utility far outweighs that little drawback.

And while we are on that subject, fit and finish is actually horrible on all these trucks in general. So picking on the ramboxes is somewhat moot. Bumpers and beds are misaligned, doors don't close flush, paint chips, runs, mismatches, and the list goes on. Pretty safe to say if fit and finish are at the top of someone's list of importance on these trucks, they best just not buy one in general. I'm definitely not a ram fanboy. They need to really clean up their act.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can see your point. I'm sure there's things that bug the crap out of me that others would consider just fine. I can't stand squeaks and rattles, but don't mind a dent or ding or 2. Same goes with the rambox. The fitment is good enough and the utility far outweighs that little drawback.

And while we are on that subject, fit and finish is actually horrible on all these trucks in general. So picking on the ramboxes is somewhat moot. Bumpers and beds are misaligned, doors don't close flush, paint chips, runs, mismatches, and the list goes on. Pretty safe to say if fit and finish are at the top of someone's list of importance on these trucks, they best just not buy one in general. I'm definitely not a ram fanboy. They need to really clean up their act.

I've never had one myself but told my dealer I wanted it if I was going to trade in the R/T ..
I hope they fill mine like either of these LOL

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Search “Rambox adjust”. Someone had put up a tutorial. Or just take it in to have realig
I picked up my Rebel on Saturday and was curious if anyone else's RamBox fit was out of the ordinary, it would seem like a brand new truck would have a better fit than this?

View attachment 28189 View attachment 28190
Search “Rambox adjust” in the forum. Someone had put up a tutorial to adjust. Or just take it in to dealer to have them sit flush. Shouldn’t be so misaligned.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score

No issues with my fitment and comes in extremely useful

alanstahl

Reaction score

Cannot agree, and obviously you do not have nor need the RAMBOXES. My 3rd truck with them, would not order without and a major plus over GM and Ford. Use them in construction. In so far as fit and finish, quite a general statement given there are nearly 500,000 2019 trucks now on the road and for one, other than a minor door alignment , my fit and finish is on par with all other manufuacturers, meaning very good. I think your review is the exception rather than the rule, and I do not believe you represent the majority of 2019 RAM owners. My truck has nealry 11,000 miles, 9 months old and have a very different perspective. No rattles, no squeaks, no significant issues. I suspect I am in the majority.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just shocked they are plastic instead of painted metal .. They can't be as secure as one would think..

stevestrike

Reaction score
Well put, Rustydodge...

I had to special order my truck specifically because I wanted Ramboxes. Worth the wait? 100%

Having water-tight storage that isn't in the cab or bed, and locks with my key fob? Yes, please. Oh yeah, there are lights and a 115v outlet in there too. I use my Ramboxes daily

The increase in price for a $57K to a $58K vehicle is not even worth considering as a factor.

For guys that use their trucks and need to carry lots of general equipment, the feature is invaluable. Can't say i've seen many regret getting the feature. Most say they'll never get another truck without them (I am one of them). A minor misalignment of the rear lid is peanuts when compared to functional advantages of both boxes. If you don't need the functional advantages, don't buy it.

Way superior solution when compared to buying and setting a toolbox across the front of your bed, or trying to stuff everything under the back seat. Add in the bed extender/divider and a trifold, quick removing tonneau cover and Ram has the most versatile and functional bed/cargo/storage solution.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I'm just shocked they are plastic instead of painted metal .. They can't be as secure as one would think..

I think it was a combination of things (weight, strength, feel, cost, durability, corrosion resistance). Compare this roughly to a metal tool box lid. Thin metal is not very strong, without bending or crimping the edges. Body panels have mount points to support the ends, whereas the ends of a lid cannot be supported. We wouldn't have the warp issues, but would likely have other issues with metal.

I actually wouldn't have been opposed to the entire rear quarter panels being fiberglass, as i'd never have to worry about rust. The Nissan Titans had a box down low on the rear, many have had rust issues in my area.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't have been opposed to the entire rear quarter panels being fiberglass, as i'd never have to worry about rust. The Nissan Titans had a box down low on the rear, many have had rust issues in my area.
My old GMC with Quadrasteer had a complete composite bed, as it was 5" wider than a standard truck (a "baby dually" look). I was a big fan for rust reasons. It could also take a minor impact without denting, much like a Saturn (or my old Corvette) back in the day.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
My old GMC with Quadrasteer had a complete composite bed, as it was 5" wider than a standard truck (a "baby dually" look). I was a big fan for rust reasons. It could also take a minor impact without denting, much like a Saturn (or my old Corvette) back in the day.

My brother had a quadrasteer. I didn't remember the bed was composite though. He loved it and i drove it a few times. It really was a good idea and pretty good execution, though i didn't care for the seats or the GM programming of the 6.0

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, good point! I was going to say with today's composite "technology", items can be just as strong as metal. I was hoping to be able to place items on top of the rails for cargo loads -- has anyone done that ? I did order the TriFold and thought it was metal but it will be "soft" cover.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Yeah, good point! I was going to say with today's composite "technology", items can be just as strong as metal. I was hoping to be able to place items on top of the rails for cargo loads -- has anyone done that ? I did order the TriFold and thought it was metal but it will be "soft" cover.

I have. Large sliding door carried on top of the bed rails. No problem, though i did evenly distribute the load using 2x4s. I'd say rambox side rails are likely stronger than standard bed side rails and would be more resistant to bending with things like scaffolding/etc pushing on them from the side due to the wider base.

I've also slid 16' boards threw the rear sliding window into the cab and had the back resting on the tri-fold tonneau cover (tailgate was down as i had plywood in the bed). Worked great.

4th gens i believe have stake pockets in front and behind on the bed rails. I seem to remember someone stating that 5th gens removed the stake pockets, though you wouldn't know without popping off the plastic covers.

I've thought about adding a rack setup but haven't found the need as I carry a hitch mounted bed extender in the passenger rambox which allows me to carry 12'-16' in the bed if i want. Might look a little red-neck but sure saves pulling a trailer.

Worst part about 5'7" bed and the bed extender is that 8' items are too long. Wish i had the 6'4" bed but i'm getting by just fine.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am with you .. I opted for the 5'7" but after actually seeing a few 6'4" up close, I'd be used to it from my previous Chevy's LOL

Thanks for the info!!!

edgarrian

Reaction score

Im picking on the rambox fitment b/c its true. They do have **** for fitment. With that said I get that some people love it. My dad had it and we both thought it was cheap and not that great. IF its a work truck then ur right. Who cares. Its gonna get dinged and scratched anyway. Me personally. It makes more sense to set up a trailer for all your tools to be left at the work site. Options are better with a trailer and it just makes more sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/