5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RamBox fit and finish

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im picking on the rambox fitment b/c its true. They do have **** for fitment. With that said I get that some people love it. My dad had it and we both thought it was cheap and not that great. IF its a work truck then ur right. Who cares. Its gonna get dinged and scratched anyway. Me personally. It makes more sense to set up a trailer for all your tools to be left at the work site. Options are better with a trailer and it just makes more sense

Around here, trailers get taken .. even if wheel locks, etc. They just lift them up onto another trailer and take off. At least with your truck it is closer and you may even hear the beep beep beep going off if you are lucky.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I love the ram box, its great for easy access stuff. I keep a windshield cover in it while driving. It protects the car from the sun hitting the leather dash. It installs from the outside and flaps go into the front doors. Best covers I ever bought. My ram box fit and finish is a A-. With the prices on the Limited, Ram will have to do much better in fit and finish.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Around here, trailers get taken .. even if wheel locks, etc. They just lift them up onto another trailer and take off. At least with your truck it is closer and you may even hear the beep beep beep going off if you are lucky.

There are a lot of different things a guy can do to prevent his trailer from getting taken.

tied

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 2019 Rebel yesterday. Got the RamBox option, which I had on my 2016. For me I love the option, they’re great.

As for fit, I’m in agreement the fit and finish are terrible on mine too. But I looked at every other one on the lot with boxes as well and they were all terrible, so it seems it’s just a thing this model year. I might try some dumbbells, see if that helps.

But I’m also a wrangler person, nothing like on those crazy expensive things and people just saying “it’s a Jeep thing” for all their finish issues. Maybe it’s really just a FCA thing these days. I still love my vehicles, but these little finish issues sure are annoying.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealer had zero on the large lot .. so I am lucky to obtain all the information you all are posting on here!!

Thank you for that!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Came home from the farm yesterday in the middle of a thunderstorm. Had placed 3 bags of beans, a bag of squash, a bag of zucchini and another bag of cucumbers in the rambox to keep them from getting wet on the drive home. The vegetables still taste great. My unscientific test proved that fit and finish didn't affect the flavor of vegetables but it did keep them dry during transport. I also had some 12ga shotgun shells stored in the other side. They were also equally dry and seemed to shoot well. No one ever notices the fit issues but me. Get comments on the truck all the time. I think I'm it's worst critic.

Justbry

Reaction score
Went to the dealer the other day to show them the RamBox fit, they agreed that it looked bad, referred me to the body shop. According to the body shop, FCA fix was to strike it in the middle of the box, there are no adjustments for it. They have proceeded to open a “Starcase”, whatever that is, with FCA to see what could be done. In the meantime i’m going to try the weights trick in the summer heat to see if that possibly unwarps the box.

greatone99

Reaction score
Went to the dealer the other day to show them the RamBox fit, they agreed that it looked bad, referred me to the body shop. According to the body shop, FCA fix was to strike it in the middle of the box, there are no adjustments for it. They have proceeded to open a “Starcase”, whatever that is, with FCA to see what could be done. In the meantime i’m going to try the weights trick in the summer heat to see if that possibly unwarps the box.
went to dealer mines getting replaced under warranty

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So as I was out west early this morning to sign up for a 3-month contract deal, I saw a 4th Gen "Gray" Rebel outside. As I was finishing up, I saw the owner out next to it and decided to shoot-the-breeze a bit.
I've never been able to check out the RAMBOX locally on the 5th gens because the dealers don't have any on the lot.
He walked me through his and felt the "heaviness" of the lid. I asked if he has ever had issues like I read about on here with the 5th gens and he has not. I'm anxious to see if the 5th gen's are lighter than the 4th. Now that I've been able to go "hands on" for myself.

I gave him the forum link, so maybe he will join up soon. I got to see his hood too and told him I almost purchased the ram air hood kit and realized it was not for the sport hood I was getting. (the kit where you remove the hood vent and install the ram air version to force air down into your CAI).

He did say that he takes his Rebel offroad a LOT and the only issue he did have was the Cold-Winter-Day-Air-Suspension "leak" .. I thought he said he got that fixed.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I picked up my Rebel on Saturday and was curious if anyone else's RamBox fit was out of the ordinary, it would seem like a brand new truck would have a better fit than this?

View attachment 28189 View attachment 28190

I have the same problem on my truck. My 2018 Rebel with Rambox has a much better fit and finish. I thought my new truck was messed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So as I was out west early this morning to sign up for a 3-month contract deal, I saw a 4th Gen "Gray" Rebel outside. As I was finishing up, I saw the owner out next to it and decided to shoot-the-breeze a bit.
I've never been able to check out the RAMBOX locally on the 5th gens because the dealers don't have any on the lot.
He walked me through his and felt the "heaviness" of the lid. I asked if he has ever had issues like I read about on here with the 5th gens and he has not. I'm anxious to see if the 5th gen's are lighter than the 4th. Now that I've been able to go "hands on" for myself.

I gave him the forum link, so maybe he will join up soon. I got to see his hood too and told him I almost purchased the ram air hood kit and realized it was not for the sport hood I was getting. (the kit where you remove the hood vent and install the ram air version to force air down into your CAI).

He did say that he takes his Rebel offroad a LOT and the only issue he did have was the Cold-Winter-Day-Air-Suspension "leak" .. I thought he said he got that fixed.

The 5th gen DT RamBox lids are significantly lighter than the 4th gen. Completely redesigned but the weight difference is very noticeable.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Has anyone heard about FCA losing the supplier for the Ramboxes mid-production cycle? Literally had to go find a different supplier.

That’s also what I’ve heard is to blame for the very odd fits for tonneau covers on these models too.

I have no confirmation of this, just someone’s word. But it seems to make sense. My ramboxes have a decent fit, not as bad at the OP, but certainly not anywhere near perfect.

PS—I still love my Ramboxes and use them daily, so I recommend them too

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all these issues being discussed, would you still recommend the option on my build? Thanks

I specifically ordered my truck with them > I would not order it without. I've never had them, and I've had a few trucks without them. I want them for something different. I'm looking forward to seeing what the issues are and develop a fix if I can.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about FCA losing the supplier for the Ramboxes mid-production cycle? Literally had to go find a different supplier.

That’s also what I’ve heard is to blame for the very odd fits for tonneau covers on these models too.

I have no confirmation of this, just someone’s word. But it seems to make sense. My ramboxes have a decent fit, not as bad at the OP, but certainly not anywhere near perfect.

PS—I still love my Ramboxes and use them daily, so I recommend them too
That was before production, actually. A lot of us waited 100 days for our orders to come in. Some of the earliest builds were quarantined at SHAP for a while until parts from the new supplier were available.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I love the Rambox look on the truck. It pops the design. However, I think the quality is not where it should be. I wouldn't put anything of value in it. You could grab the lip from an end and force it open in a few seconds. I read they are now made of plastic, this would be the reason they are not secure and tough.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe all of these fitment issues with the 2019 lighter lids is one reason they chose to not offer the Ram Box on the 6'4" bed.

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but were the Gen-4 Ram Box lids made of metal, and the Gen-5 Ram Box lids are plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread