5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram HD sheds some camo

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha.. I was hoping since they are likely to use the same cab from the 2019 1500, that it might have the pano roof option with it.

Nope. You won't see a completely new Ram Heavy Duty till 2022 model year (so late 2021) right around the refresh time of the Ram 1500 (DT). That will be time in which the truck will move to it's new home at Warren Truck.

KLSU

Reaction score
Truck actually looks good in person. Remember this is the base truck. It makes sense to completely update the 4th generation trucks because they would have to spend money to completely retool Saltillo than move the tooling to Warren only a few years later. The true 5th generation trucks will debut in 2022. These trucks will be far better than the new GM and Ford trucks. New Cummins with 980ft.-lbs, 8-speed autos, completely updated interior and infotainment, all the creature comforts of the Ram 1500 (minus the panaromic sunroof) and a lot more technology like 360 camera, adaptive cruise control and many new features.

Do you know if the crew cab will be the same as the 2019 1500 with the larger back seat or will there still be the megacab option?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know if the crew cab will be the same as the 2019 1500 with the larger back seat or will there still be the megacab option?
I am going to guess since it is still the 4th gen cab, it will not be. But when the 5th Gen HD does debut, it should be. And I would think the Mega Cab will continue.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still seems wasteful to update this old design. If they are changing engines, trans, interior, front end etc, why not go the rest of the way. The larger cab is a huge improvement. Not offering that makes this truck go to the back of the pack. They should of went with the redesign and moved the truck to the new facility when it gets a mid model refresh. I don’t understand this logic at all.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that people don't get the logic, but it has been explained numerous times...plant shuffle, going after number 2 spot, easier to retool parts than retool a plant that isn't going to produce that product. The new 1500 has been more popular than expected. Certain options have been more popular than expected.

This is a refresh because of the complexity of a plant retool and the popularity of the new body style.

Can not wait to see it in January, or when @redriderbob snaps a spy photo with even less camo.

KLSU

Reaction score
Still seems wasteful to update this old design. If they are changing engines, trans, interior, front end etc, why not go the rest of the way. The larger cab is a huge improvement. Not offering that makes this truck go to the back of the pack. They should of went with the redesign and moved the truck to the new facility when it gets a mid model refresh. I don’t understand this logic at all.

I agree and the main reason I do not own a Ram 2500 right now is that the back seat is too small compared to Ford or Chevy. The 2019 1500 is perfect but I need a 3/4 ton truck and have been waiting on the redesigned Ram before I made my decision. It's really a bummer but I will wait until beginning of next year before I buy just to make sure.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the 2500 has Mega Cab...and people in other posts want a quad cab...interesting times for large cabs.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree and the main reason I do not own a Ram 2500 right now is that the back seat is too small compared to Ford or Chevy. The 2019 1500 is perfect but I need a 3/4 ton truck and have been waiting on the redesigned Ram before I made my decision. It's really a bummer but I will wait until beginning of next year before I buy just to make sure.
Ok, I have to ask this question, as I have never been in a Ford or Chevy crew cab, and my family of Five and a 200lb St. Bernard had no issue with the Crew Cab on our 2013 Ram 2500.

If you need a 2500, and want a Cab bigger than Ford and Chevy, the Mega Cab is much larger than the 5th Gen 1500 and you keep the 6'4 bed. So if the crew is too small, but they offer the Mega Cab...just how big are the Chevy and Ford Crew Cabs...I didn't realize they were larger, learn something new everyday.

KLSU

Reaction score
Ok, I have to ask this question, as I have never been in a Ford or Chevy crew cab, and my family of Five and a 200lb St. Bernard had no issue with the Crew Cab on our 2013 Ram 2500.

If you need a 2500, and want a Cab bigger than Ford and Chevy, the Mega Cab is much larger than the 5th Gen 1500 and you keep the 6'4 bed. So if the crew is too small, but they offer the Mega Cab...just how big are the Chevy and Ford Crew Cabs...I didn't realize they were larger, learn something new everyday.

The Ford F-250 SCREW back seat has WAY more room than the current 4th gen Ram crew cab 2500 without having to option for a larger cab. All I'm saying is I thought with the 2020 2500 redesign they would go like the Ram 1500 and make the backseat have more room to better compete. They did it with the 1500 for a reason so why not the 2500?
I understand the megacab option but they are hard to find on lots so your options are less because of this. As of now there are 2 Megacab, with 6.4 Hemi, in a 100 mile radius of where I live.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I know my extended family has avoided Mega Cabs because they make the trucks “unnecessarily” or “awkwardly” long for farm use. In my opinion, the new Ram provides plenty of space without negatively impacting maneuverability.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The new HD is scheduled for 2021 as a 2022 model debut. I am sure it will have the larger 5th Gen cab then. The reasons above are why it was pushed out. I didn't realize the Ford was bigger, guess that is a good reason to want a bigger cab.

Usually the HD debuts one model year after the 1500...it is gonna be 3 now. The HD is selling well enough, guess they didn't think it was a high priority on their list of new models.

In another discussion about quad cab 8foot bed trucks, it now makes sense why the other brands offer the quad...their crew is bigger, so they offer a smaller cab. Rams crew is smaller, so they offer the biggest cab.

Makes sense to me, it sucks that they have to make compromises and can't offer everything everyone wants.

Interesting how each person views the sizes of cabs and beds.

Thanks for sharing that the other crews are bigger, gave me some clarification about other questions.

ichime

Reaction score
Looks interesting. Reminds me of the first generation pickups in a way.

My source tells me that this would be classified as a 5th gen because of the technology they are going to introduce to it even though clearly it's a facelifted 4th gen. I wonder if they're going to keep the same front for the new bodystyle HDs in 2021...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks interesting. Reminds me of the first generation pickups in a way.

My source tells me that this would be classified as a 5th gen because of the technology they are going to introduce to it even though clearly it's a facelifted 4th gen. I wonder if they're going to keep the same front for the new bodystyle HDs in 2021...
The spy shots still have DJ in the window...they keeping that designation or will it change...that was one of the reasons it was thought to be a 4th Gen still. ?

ichime

Reaction score
The spy shots still have DJ in the window...they keeping that designation or will it change...that was one of the reasons it was thought to be a 4th Gen still. ?

Not sure but it'll be interesting to see. If they do end up classifying this as a 5th generation model, they should have the Easter egg under the console storage lid like in the 1500s.

Reaction score
I know my extended family has avoided Mega Cabs because they make the trucks “unnecessarily” or “awkwardly” long for farm use. In my opinion, the new Ram provides plenty of space without negatively impacting maneuverability.

Agreed, my dad has a '07 Mega Cab and IMO that amount of rear leg room is unnecessary, it's huge! The amount of leg room in my '11 Crew Cab is perfect, but it has no storage, luckily I don't have a sub, so I have a little bit of storage under the seats. But I really wish the crew cabs had the storage behind and under the seats like the Mega Cabs. That would be the only reason I'd consider a Mega Cab, but really don't want that long of a truck with only a 6'4" bed.
I forgot to check the new 1500's to see if they have storage behind the seats like the mega cabs, but if they do then I'll be waiting for the complete redesign before I upgrade.

Phoon

Reaction score
I agree, i have read many explanations about the mexico plant etc. It just doesn't seem to tie in with the current attitude at Ram and FCA. They have been hitting it out of the park recently and a refresh on the HD trucks seems like a half assed effort. Im sure it will be a good truck, but I believe it is a mistake to chase volume and cheap out on upgrading the plant ... the product will suffer as a result. Why not invest and make the best product they can?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They got Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, Durango, Jeep Truck, the more popular than expected 2019 5th Gen. Not to mention all the cars and other SUVs that are becoming more popular.

They have some plans, and they have a schedule for upgrading plants. They had planned to bring HD back to the USA, but now it is on hold for a bit...retool is much easier and cheaper than a plant overhaul...which is coming.

Lots of great FCA product coming...and we have only seen the starting line for what RAM has planned.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, my dad has a '07 Mega Cab and IMO that amount of rear leg room is unnecessary, it's huge! The amount of leg room in my '11 Crew Cab is perfect, but it has no storage, luckily I don't have a sub, so I have a little bit of storage under the seats. But I really wish the crew cabs had the storage behind and under the seats like the Mega Cabs. That would be the only reason I'd consider a Mega Cab, but really don't want that long of a truck with only a 6'4" bed.
I forgot to check the new 1500's to see if they have storage behind the seats like the mega cabs, but if they do then I'll be waiting for the complete redesign before I upgrade.
No storage behind the seats, but they do have deep in-floor bins and fold-out storage underneath the seats. Add the massive center console, dual glove boxes, and RamBoxes, and you have quite a few options for conditioned or lockable storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online