5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ram 19 speaker harmon kardon stereo

Tjd

Reaction score
I'm finding that on some music there is too much bass and sounds distorted. Mostly on SiriusXM sat channels. I have to put the eq all the way down in the low range, and mid down about 1/2. Streaming not so much of a problem. It is certainly inconsistent. Exception seems to be country music which if I were guess almost seems like the system is designed for, as it is exceptionally good with that genre.

revolutionz

Reaction score
That's because the audio quality of SiriusXM is awful...The compress the hell out of the satellite stream, and it really degrades the audio quality. Listen to something from Android Auto/Apple Car Play, the audio quality difference will be substantial as long as you're streaming a good quality source.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's because the audio quality of SiriusXM is awful...The compress the hell out of the satellite stream, and it really degrades the audio quality. Listen to something from Android Auto/Apple Car Play, the audio quality difference will be substantial as long as you're streaming a good quality source.
We'll said. SiriusXM's audio quality is barely acceptible for listening to music. It's ok for background music and talk radio.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took care of the back glass rattle and had my doors dynomated too. There is still a rattle coming from the sub itself.
I thought my sub was rattling too. I folded down the rear seat backs, pulled the carpet insulation, and found a module behind the rear center console (close to the floor) that was very loose. Its only held on by a plastic push clip. The module vibrates with the bass making it sound like its coming from the sub. I cut a piece of 3m double sided foam tape and installed it behind the module and pressed it into place. No more rattle. I then opened the rear doors, blasted some music, and found where the vibrations were on the door panels. I used a plastic pry tool to lift the panel slightly off the door, put double sided foam tape in, pressed the edges down, and no more noisy rear doors.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought my sub was rattling too. I folded down the rear seat backs, pulled the carpet insulation, and found a module behind the rear center console (close to the floor) that was very loose. Its only held on by a plastic push clip. The module vibrates with the bass making it sound like its coming from the sub. I cut a piece of 3m double sided foam tape and installed it behind the module and pressed it into place. No more rattle. I then opened the rear doors, blasted some music, and found where the vibrations were on the door panels. I used a plastic pry tool to lift the panel slightly off the door, put double sided foam tape in, pressed the edges down, and no more noisy rear doors.
Problem solving at it's finest. Thanks for the info.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those that have had the TSB, could you post what volume level you are using for:

Calm Relaxing Music
Pre-game Pump Up Music
In Car Rock Concert

Obviously I’m just curious as to your different sounds levels depending on what type of music/volume level pairing you find comfortable. I figured this will give some sort of baseline with such a subjective question.

Mine would be 25, 34-38, 38+++

I don’t feel like my system is overly loud at 38. I could listen for hours at 35-38 with no problem.
My levels while driving locally are at about 9 - 11. Higbway is 12 - 14. The update will probably reduce your levels by 2/3 but be prepared for boomy bass. You will need to tweak the EQ quite a bit. A future EQ update would be nice.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm finding that on some music there is too much bass and sounds distorted. Mostly on SiriusXM sat channels. I have to put the eq all the way down in the low range, and mid down about 1/2. Streaming not so much of a problem. It is certainly inconsistent. Exception seems to be country music which if I were guess almost seems like the system is designed for, as it is exceptionally good with that genre.
I also noticed country seems to be the best. Jazz is pretty good too. Rock usually sucks and is very boomy. I havent tried any other devices or streaming yet just Sirius.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
Guys, you have an equalizer for a reason. Haha. I can get rock just perfect on these speakers.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
The human ear is subjective. What's "perfect" to one person is "annoying" to another.
That's why you have an equalizer. Lol

And a 3 band EQ isn't enough control to fix most audio issues. 5 band is a minimum. 31 band graphic or a 10 band parametric would be amazing.

It's enough because the range on the base, mid, and treble are more than enough, in fact unless the system is glitched, you should be able to adjust it to your liking. Anything more you are looking at recording and that's what I have used with recording software, but those functions are completely different.

All I know is that there was a fix for hk not working properly, the dealership should be able to fix it.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hat is off to you for solving your annoying situation. One can only ask oneself, WHY THE HELL CAN'T A DEALERSHIP DO THE SAME THING? So many owners have complained of going to their dealer with the same issues and with little or no solution found. Almost as pathetic as some of the quality issues getting throught the line at the factory. Mind boggling.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Got the audio update done.

It is a lot louder/Better
Volume 25 is what 35 36 used to be or so, to give u guys an idea. It's also cleaner..

The update allows more room for distortion so keep a ear out for that and tune it with the EQ

But defiantly get it done

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why you have an equalizer. Lol

It's enough because the range on the base, mid, and treble are more than enough, in fact unless the system is glitched, you should be able to adjust it to your liking. Anything more you are looking at recording and that's what I have used with recording software, but those functions are completely different.

3 band is enough if the system is well tuned and has relatively flat response. Unfortunately it doesnt. It's ok but it has some deficiencies. I've already used an Real Time Analyzer to confirm what I'm hearing. I'm a pro-audio engineer and have a recording studio. I can correct the system using an 12 band EQ on my phone when streaming from the phone but FM, CD, and SiriusXM are stuck with 3 bands. The system could be so much better. I wish I had access to the DSP in the amp.

Twoamen

Reaction score
I just got the update. Wow! what a difference. Sound quality and volume. Thought the stereo worked ok before, boy was I wrong. Get yours updated, well worth the Dealer service time it takes.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
3 band is enough if the system is well tuned and has relatively flat response. Unfortunately it doesnt. It's ok but it has some deficiencies. I've already used an Real Time Analyzer to confirm what I'm hearing. I'm a pro-audio engineer and have a recording studio. I can correct the system using an 12 band EQ on my phone when streaming from the phone but FM, CD, and SiriusXM are stuck with 3 bands. The system could be so much better. I wish I had access to the DSP in the amp.

That's okay, but how is it that once people are getting this update/fix the sound is so much better? Unless of course people had much more superb setup in their previous vehicles. There is a bug in the system, the update is clearly fixing that.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i agree with you. i am a huge audiophile and i agree. i wish we had access to the dsp in the amplifier because obviously with some tweeking the system could sound so much better. if you have programmed the apt-x bluetooth chip it is amazing the difference in sound.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's okay, but how is it that once people are getting this update/fix the sound is so much better? Unless of course people had much more superb setup in their previous vehicles. There is a bug in the system, the update is clearly fixing that.
The fix (TSB update) primarily envolves raising the amp gain to achieve higher volumes. The Sub's gain was increased even more. The overall EQ may have been tweaked a little. Previous complaints where mostly about inadequate volume. Now the complaint is that the sub is a bit overbearing for those who don't like an exaggerated bass.

My concern is with lack of clarity in the bass and very noticeable absence of frequencies in the mid-bass region. It's all boom, no content in the 150-300hz region.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread