5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

ktl5005

Reaction score
Most roads in Northeastern Pennsylvania are pothole filled. Having the swaybar on now for a few days and driving around, it’s definitely more planted in the corner. A little stiffer but nothing crazy on the softest setting. I’ve had no issues with the rear end bouncing around or skipping at all

Helmetface

Reaction score
Is the lifted version compatible with stock height?

I'll eventually lift, but would like the mod in the meantime.

Thanks!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the lifted version compatible with stock height?

I'll eventually lift, but would like the mod in the meantime.

Thanks!
Yes, I have lifted version and the end links are adjustable down to stock height if needed.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The sway bar controls body lean, not axle hop.

You would think so, until you try the stiffest setting in my truck. Going straight down a paved road and hitting a small bump or repaved strip causes my back end to go squirrely. It's very noticable. Only change was setting it to stiffest setting, and going back to middle hole eliminates it.

The reason is because when you hit a bump going straight, there are still forces at play that push you around a little bit to one side or the other, you never take a hit where the only force is 100% front to back. The more force you get that hits you off on the side, the more the swaybar matters.

So yes, the sway bar definitely controls axle hop, and there is such a thing as "too stiff". This was all in my lightly loaded bighorn, I plan to tow in a few weeks and will try stiffest setting to see if there is any improvement while towing.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And with that said, is that amount of surface rust normal on the axle and diff? Almost 16,000 Living in Northeastern Pennsylvania
Western PA here and I already have rust on mine with only 7k miles. Gotta love living in the salt belt. IMG_20200509_201137.jpg

Scram1500

Reaction score
You would think so, until you try the stiffest setting in my truck. Going straight down a paved road and hitting a small bump or repaved strip causes my back end to go squirrely. It's very noticable. Only change was setting it to stiffest setting, and going back to middle hole eliminates it.

The reason is because when you hit a bump going straight, there are still forces at play that push you around a little bit to one side or the other, you never take a hit where the only force is 100% front to back. The more force you get that hits you off on the side, the more the swaybar matters.

So yes, the sway bar definitely controls axle hop, and there is such a thing as "too stiff". This was all in my lightly loaded bighorn, I plan to tow in a few weeks and will try stiffest setting to see if there is any improvement while towing.
Interesting, I might have to try the middle setting then as my Bighorn is pretty light and rarely hauls or tows. I installed 2" rear lowering springs at the same time which I don't think are as stiff as stock, hard to tell when two things are changed at the same time

Scram1500

Reaction score
Mineral oil undercoating! Needs to be re-applied occasionally but gets in the nooks and crannies, also doesn't create a layer that traps moisture

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the silver bracket to the left? I have the Hellwig bar, but not that bracket. Curious to know.
It's on both sides to keep the bar from moving side to side for extra stability. I have the lifted version, they may not come with the non-lifted sway bar.

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's on both sides to keep the bar from moving side to side for extra stability. I have the lifted version, it may not come with the non-lifted sway bar.
Correct, only supplied on lifted version for some reason.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/