5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I’ve never been very good at physics, and I think that’s what my question pertains to:

Would it be expected that there would be the same stiffness feel (or right there around) for a stock height truck on the middle setting as it would be it a leveled truck on the medium setting?

When my truck was leveled, there was obviously a higher center of gravity, and it gives more roll on the corners than from before. Wondering if moving it to the firm setting will bring it back to the feel it had before.

Thank you in advance!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Which way did everyone face the slit in the bushing? Towards the front or back of the truck, does it matter?

ktl5005

Reaction score
Looking at getting this for my 2019 Limited with factory Air suspension. Given the factory air suspension, do I need to get the upgraded links or can I reuse the stock ones and attach them to the Hellwig bar?

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Looking at getting this for my 2019 Limited with factory Air suspension. Given the factory air suspension, do I need to get the upgraded links or can I reuse the stock ones and attach them to the Hellwig bar?
Stock will be fine. I have the air too. No issues.

maddog49

Reaction score
Installed it yesterday at the softest setting. Looking forward to driving it and feeling the change.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Installed it yesterday at the softest setting. Looking forward to driving it and feeling the change.

Report back on your impression. Mine arrives this weekend and also will be installing on the softest setting which I’ve read in a previous post is a little stiffer in stock but still a plush ride

ktl5005

Reaction score
Installed! 30 minutes just because I had it facing up instead of down like the stock one.
Installed on the softest setting. Definitely feels tighter around turns. Less of a back-and-forth boat rock on Bumpy Road. Feels more secure. I just tighten the end link bolts until I couldn’t turn them anymore.

Attachments

• 29B96F46-D305-4386-B078-121E909719AC.jpeg
    29B96F46-D305-4386-B078-121E909719AC.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

ktl5005

Reaction score
Installed! 30 minutes just because I had it facing up instead of down like the stock one.
Installed on the softest setting. Definitely feels tighter around turns. Less of a back-and-forth boat rock on Bumpy Road. Feels more secure. I just tighten the end link bolts until I couldn’t turn them anymore.
And with that said, is that amount of surface rust normal on the axle and diff? Almost 16,000 Living in Northeastern Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Sad the first thing I had to do was get control of the surface rust under 1k. Not major job to sand, wire, paint but still imo unacceptable for new trucks

tpartain

Reaction score
Towing with the Hellwig sway bar.
I have an Outdoorsrv 24kts dry weight is 6200lbs, loaded for a week of camping with a full tank of water 7300 lbs .
The truck tows the trailer ok with the stock sway bar, but after adding the Hellwig set on the middle setting the truck handles the load much better. Prior to the installation of the Hellwig the trailer felt like it pushed the truck around. When you would enter a turn at speed it would always have a secondary steering input. After installing the Hellwig its like driving normal. Just turn in and its solid and stable. Before the Hellwig I would always drive at 60 mph or less to try to stay in the comfort zone, now I find myself driving 65-70 mph. I have to make a conscious effort to stay below 65mph. Thanks Hellwig

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Discussed heavily in this thread.

Yes, but very inconclusively... For every it's great no change in ride there a corresponding "the back end jumps around on rough roads". So after reading this entire 29 page thread I still don't know.

I have upgraded to Bilstein 4600's so I might give the stiffest setting a go after installing mine, hoping the shocks working with the sway bar gives me the best of both worlds.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
So far no one in this thread has reported any over steer behavior on the stiffest setting. That was what I was most concerned about with stiffening up the back sway bar too far.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Live rear axles will jump around on a back road sway bar or not, a cure for that is better shocks and lower tire pressure. The sway bar controls body lean, not axle hop. As far as oversteer, it sure makes it easier to control when it happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/