5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

drsubie

Reaction score
What p/n for that rear Hellwig sway bar?

I also wondered why Hellwig didn't make a front sway bar for RAM, and here's what I found out via their FAQ:

"
Why doesn’t Hellwig manufacture aftermarket Dodge pickup front sway bars?
We often get customers asking why our truck sway bar line has front and rear sway bars for Ford and GM trucks but only rear sway bars for the majority of the Dodge trucks. It really comes down to an easy answer, they don’t need them. Sway bars are a torsional spring that decreases body roll and sway in a vehicle. From the factory, vehicles are often set up with soft sway bars and with an understeer bias. By making aftermarket sway bars with larger diameters, we increase the stiffness of the bar to decrease body roll even further and bring the vehicle more towards a neutral steer balance. We determine the correct diameter for the bar from a series of calculations, test fit and test drives. The trick is to make the bar stiff enough to decrease body roll and sway and improve handling while not too stiff to hurt handling. Remember, a bigger bar is not always a better bar. After a point it will actually hurt more than help, which is why you don’t see companies making 3” diameter sway bars. In our testing with the Dodge trucks, they do not follow the industry trend of soft stock front sway bars and usually have a very stiff front bar that does not need improvement. While we would love to sell you something for the front of the Dodge trucks, our goal is to make products you need, not just something for you to buy since it is available. For comparison, a 2012 Ford Super Duty 4×4 has a factory 1-1/8” front sway bar which we increase to 1-5/16” on our aftermarket bar. A 2012 Dodge 3500 4×4 comes stock with an 1-7/16” front sway bar which is already 1/4” bigger than our aftermarket bar for the Super Duty. Obviously there is no need to increase this bar even more. We will keep testing the Dodge trucks as they come out to see if any of them need a front sway bar (for instance we found the 2009-2013 Dodge 1500 2wd could use a stiffer front bar so we make one for that model) but if you have a Dodge and we don’t make a bar, it is most likely because it is not necessary. And remember, while Dodge trucks have a strong front bar, they often have a soft or nonexistent rear bar so you will feel a large improvement with the upgraded Hellwig rear sway bar whether you’re towing, hauling or just daily driving you truck!"

Hellwig front sway bar?

That said, I wonder if Hellwig is still R&Ding a new rear sway for the 5th gen RAMs, and whether it would be any different from what you put on...

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What p/n for that rear Hellwig sway bar?

I also wondered why Hellwig didn't make a front sway bar for RAM, and here's what I found out via their FAQ:

"
Why doesn’t Hellwig manufacture aftermarket Dodge pickup front sway bars?
We often get customers asking why our truck sway bar line has front and rear sway bars for Ford and GM trucks but only rear sway bars for the majority of the Dodge trucks. It really comes down to an easy answer, they don’t need them. Sway bars are a torsional spring that decreases body roll and sway in a vehicle. From the factory, vehicles are often set up with soft sway bars and with an understeer bias. By making aftermarket sway bars with larger diameters, we increase the stiffness of the bar to decrease body roll even further and bring the vehicle more towards a neutral steer balance. We determine the correct diameter for the bar from a series of calculations, test fit and test drives. The trick is to make the bar stiff enough to decrease body roll and sway and improve handling while not too stiff to hurt handling. Remember, a bigger bar is not always a better bar. After a point it will actually hurt more than help, which is why you don’t see companies making 3” diameter sway bars. In our testing with the Dodge trucks, they do not follow the industry trend of soft stock front sway bars and usually have a very stiff front bar that does not need improvement. While we would love to sell you something for the front of the Dodge trucks, our goal is to make products you need, not just something for you to buy since it is available. For comparison, a 2012 Ford Super Duty 4×4 has a factory 1-1/8” front sway bar which we increase to 1-5/16” on our aftermarket bar. A 2012 Dodge 3500 4×4 comes stock with an 1-7/16” front sway bar which is already 1/4” bigger than our aftermarket bar for the Super Duty. Obviously there is no need to increase this bar even more. We will keep testing the Dodge trucks as they come out to see if any of them need a front sway bar (for instance we found the 2009-2013 Dodge 1500 2wd could use a stiffer front bar so we make one for that model) but if you have a Dodge and we don’t make a bar, it is most likely because it is not necessary. And remember, while Dodge trucks have a strong front bar, they often have a soft or nonexistent rear bar so you will feel a large improvement with the upgraded Hellwig rear sway bar whether you’re towing, hauling or just daily driving you truck!"

Hellwig front sway bar?

That said, I wonder if Hellwig is still R&Ding a new rear sway for the 5th gen RAMs, and whether it would be any different from what you put on...

Hellwig does have a front sway bar for Ram 4th gen 2wd. Part number is 7708. Since the front end is the same I would think it would fit 5th gen.

Part number for rear sway bar for 4th gen is 7709. I installed it on my truck and it is my favorite mod so far. It fits perfectly.

JAK

Reaction score
Lol. We've been using it for a while now.

Yeah, I was hesitant to purchase it when this thread was posted just because I didn't know if hellwig may make changes for the 5th gen rams. I'm sure there were others that felt the same way.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Ok, i read thru this. Good stuff. Stuff i am wondering was partly answered, but here goes...

I looked up my build sheet on that dodge/ram one that goes around all the forums. I have learned to not fully trust them.

So with that, i have a longhorn and its saying i have the front and rear stabilizers, so can i assume i then would not need the links? I do not have max towing package, but i do have 3.92. Not sure if i have the 9 inch axle tho. Is 3.92 a 9 inch no matter what?

Also, what models did not come with the stabilizers? Anyone know? Just curious about that one, and maybe why...

The folks that are reporting a way better ride... did you already have the OEM bar, or not... with this question I am trying to guage how much of an improvement i may feel with the butt analysis if I already have an OEM.

I will go with these questions for now, and I yield back my time to anyone with answers or input.

Last edited:

UnLimited

Reaction score
Great read and informative topic.

Has anyone towed with the improved Hellwig? (Short box)

drsubie

Reaction score
Ok, i read thru this. Good stuff. Stuff i am wondering was partly answered, but here goes...

I looked up my build sheet on that dodge/ram one that goes around all the forums. I have learned to not fully trust them.

So with that, i have a longhorn and its saying i have the front and rear stabilizers, so can i assume i then would not need the links? I do not have max towing package, but i do have 3.92. Not sure if i have the 9 inch axle tho. Is 3.92 a 9 inch no matter what?

Also, what models did not come with the stabilizers? Anyone know? Just curious about that one, and maybe why...

The folks that are reporting a way better ride... did you already have the OEM bar, or not... with this question I am trying to guage how much of an improvement i may feel with the butt analysis if I already have an OEM.

I will go with these questions for now, and I yield back my time to anyone with answers or input.

I'm pretty sure all the Ram 1500s come w/ front and rear sway bars. If you go to Hellwig's site and do a parts look up, they have 2 models, 1 for regular stock ride height, and the other for 2-4" lift height (presumably for aftermarket lifts?).

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all the Ram 1500s come w/ front and rear sway bars. If you go to Hellwig's site and do a parts look up, they have 2 models, 1 for regular stock ride height, and the other for 2-4" lift height (presumably for aftermarket lifts?).
Ok, asking because I thought I read one member had to buy hellwigs end links additionally, because his ram didnt already have them or something. Which i figured woukd mean he didnt have a stabilizer bar, if he didnt already have end links.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I purchased the HellWig rear sway as well as the endlinks based upon the fact that I have a 2” lift. The endlinks were not needed and I returned them to get back my $97.00..

Reactions: JAK

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I purchased the HellWig rear sway as well as the endlinks based upon the fact that I have a 2” lift. The endlinks were not needed and I returned them to get back my $97.00..
Ok, that cleared that part up pretty easy, thanks a bunch

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No problem and for my needs I have it set in the middle, but again it is three way adjustable.

runamuck

Reaction score
No problem and for my needs I have it set in the middle, but again it is three way adjustable.

I put the 7709 on my laramie back in early september and set it to the middle position. I have towed my travel trailer a couple of times since then and I can tell that it has improved the ride by stffening up the rear end and thereby reducing that little bit of sway and shimmy I was getting when towing. the day to day driving has not suffered any. I moved to this truck from a 2017 4x4 ccsb sierra 1500 SLT and to me it handles much better and is a lot more fun to drive.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried setting the end links of Hellwig sway bar on maximum inboard setting? Just wondering if it causes too much resistance and any undesirable driving characteristics. I don't rock crawl my Rebel so severe articulation isn't in my trucks future. But having flatter handling sounds like a desirable trait for a big truck.

AFTERMATH1500

Reaction score
Has anyone added the Hellwig with a 3.5 inch lift? I have the stock sway bar on now and was curious to know if I would need to buy the end links also or would just the sway bar work.

Users who are viewing this thread