5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone added the Hellwig with a 3.5 inch lift? I have the stock sway bar on now and was curious to know if I would need to buy the end links also or would just the sway bar work.
I have air suspension so can't answer completely but the sway bar is most effective when ends of bar are as close to parallel to ground. Mine are close to level even though Rebels have a 1" lift. The fixed links from factory must not be long enough if you have a 3.5 inch lift so I would think the husky built adjustable ones from hell wig would make sense. They sell bar with and without links. The new bar is formed exactly the same bends layout as factory bar. If your current links make bar ends level, than new bar would be the same. ( I bet you will need them though)

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would I need to buy the adjustable links or will the links from my 6in lift work?
if they work with current bar keeping arms somewhat parallel to ground , it should work with Hellwig bar. The Hellwig links look husky in pictures. It would be a benefit to be adjustable and plenty husky. My 2 cents

football76

Reaction score
I have air suspension so can't answer completely but the sway bar is most effective when ends of bar are as close to parallel to ground. Mine are close to level even though Rebels have a 1" lift. The fixed links from factory must not be long enough if you have a 3.5 inch lift so I would think the husky built adjustable ones from hell wig would make sense. They sell bar with and without links. The new bar is formed exactly the same bends layout as factory bar. If your current links make bar ends level, than new bar would be the same. ( I bet you will need them though)

Jhill, how do you like the hellwig rear sway bar on your rebel? Thinking of upgrading myself to add to the on-road handling a bit.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jhill, how do you like the hellwig rear sway bar on your rebel? Thinking of upgrading myself to add to the on-road handling a bit.
I love it! In fact a car along side me changed lanes on me and I did an evasive move towards side of road and it was very responsive and in complete control. After install, I started in center hole medium setting but now it is in closest to axle highest setting. The huskier tires on Rebel plus air suspension give this truck very planted and responsive driving experience. When you compare the hollow tube stock bar to the Hellwig solid bar, it is obvious the new bar will make a difference. Very happy and worthwhile upgrade . The stock links work ok unless you change height of truck as you want to keep arms of bar parallel to ground for maximum bar efficiency.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After driving a 2WD Lonestar loaner for three days, I just ordered the sway bar for my 4WD Limited. Didn't think I needed it until I wallowed back home in it last night. Thanks for all the write ups!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
After driving a 2WD Lonestar loaner for three days, I just ordered the sway bar for my 4WD Limited. Didn't think I needed it until I wallowed back home in it last night. Thanks for all the write ups!
Dang. That much better?
I may have to look into this myself. When will you get it?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love it! In fact a car along side me changed lanes on me and I did an evasive move towards side of road and it was very responsive and in complete control. After install, I started in center hole medium setting but now it is in closest to axle highest setting. The huskier tires on Rebel plus air suspension give this truck very planted and responsive driving experience. When you compare the hollow tube stock bar to the Hellwig solid bar, it is obvious the new bar will make a difference. Very happy and worthwhile upgrade . The stock links work ok unless you change height of truck as you want to keep arms of bar parallel to ground for maximum bar efficiency.

It doesn't make it ride rough does it? Just more planted?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang. That much better?
I may have to look into this myself. When will you get it?

Arriving tomorrow courtesy of Amazon. Heck you can test drive it when we meet up next week for the speakers!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ~20 min of driving time and I can tell a big difference. We've got some freeway exits that are large curves and basically flat. With the Hellwig on the least firm position it's a noticeable difference. It feels like I could take the exit at 10MPH faster and still feel just as comfortable. Also, taking quick turns like from a busy street turn lane, you can really tell how much firmer this bar is than the stock one. Very happy with it.

I did install it using the least firm position of the three options per the instructions. Apparently it's so "you can get used to it." That's about as lawyered-up and unnecessary as a McDonald's hot sauce warning. Tomorrow I'm moving to the firmer positions.

I almost think this should be stock equipment on the heavier trucks, i.e. Longhorns and Limited - especially with RamBox.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just ~20 min of driving time and I can tell a big difference. We've got some freeway exits that are large curves and basically flat. With the Hellwig on the least firm position it's a noticeable difference. It feels like I could take the exit at 10MPH faster and still feel just as comfortable. Also, taking quick turns like from a busy street turn lane, you can really tell how much firmer this bar is than the stock one. Very happy with it.

I did install it using the least firm position of the three options per the instructions. Apparently it's so "you can get used to it." That's about as lawyered-up and unnecessary as a McDonald's hot sauce warning. Tomorrow I'm moving to the firmer positions.

I almost think this should be stock equipment on the heavier trucks, i.e. Longhorns and Limited - especially with RamBox.
Thanks for the write up. Can’t wait to see it!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just moved the links to the closest (firmest) position. Ah. I should have started there. Making turns at 40-50 it feels like the truck is 1,000 lbs. lighter. I definitely recommend this to all with heavy rigs that don't do a lot of off roading. Far more behaved on the pavement now. More planted and just adds confidence in any turning maneuvers.

I can see how this position might be too stiff on an unloaded lower trim level that has close to 2K payload. But some of us are far closer to 1K payload and all that extra weight detracts from the stock sway bar handling. This is a fairly cheap mod and should leave you smiling.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved the links to the closest (firmest) position. Ah. I should have started there. Making turns at 40-50 it feels like the truck is 1,000 lbs. lighter. I definitely recommend this to all with heavy rigs that don't do a lot of off roading. Far more behaved on the pavement now. More planted and just adds confidence in any turning maneuvers.

I can see how this position might be too stiff on an unloaded lower trim level that has close to 2K payload. But some of us are far closer to 1K payload and all that extra weight detracts from the stock sway bar handling. This is a fairly cheap mod and should leave you smiling.
Sold!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Now as soon as I get mine back I’m putting it on the closest position.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did more driving today and now that I'm more tuned into what it's doing I'm amazed at how much less steering input is required at speed. Like doing a simple lane change at 50, it feels more like a sports car in the steering input and handling. Guess that's why the warning is in the instructions. You can't jerk the wheel like you used to - you'll be two lanes over.

I'm thinking you'd get better tire life with this installed also, if you can keep from cornering faster than normal!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Did more driving today and now that I'm more tuned into what it's doing I'm amazed at how much less steering input is required at speed. Like doing a simple lane change at 50, it feels more like a sports car in the steering input and handling. Guess that's why the warning is in the instructions. You can't jerk the wheel like you used to - you'll be two lanes over.

I'm thinking you'd get better tire life with this installed also, if you can keep from cornering faster than normal!
Can’t wait to see it when we meet. Has the comfort level changed at all?

Users who are viewing this thread