5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m running the middle setting as I’ve done since day one. Has or is anyone on the stiffest setting ?
Tried all three. On softest right now, but middle was fine also. The stiffest setting was too much for me (rear wheels just bounced too much on crappy Houston roads).

Bellpa

Reaction score
I started on the middle one also and switched to the softest. Middle was a tad more stable, but the softest setting absorbs road crap so much better and is still an upgrade from stock! Love it.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s weird as Jersey has some rough behind roads and the middle setting takes them all in stride. Houston must really be a problem lol.

swheeler1996

Reaction score
Would it be best to switch it to the heaviest setting if planning to tow heavy? I will likely start in the middle and then try the softest but do on occasion tow a toyhauler.

UKreject

Reaction score
Just made the switch to Hellwig sway bar. Left it on soft setting. I'm delighted so far. The roads here in Wisconsin are absolute crap with constant freeze thaw cycle chewing up the blacktop. Truck seems firm over the bumps but not a harsh feeling. It is a definite improvement over stock. :)

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I prefer the stiffest setting. Don’t really notice any harshness to the ride but it does take out more of the wallowing feel. I drive some roads with a lot of turns and switchbacks and the stiffest setting makes the truck handle much better

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That’s weird as Jersey has some rough behind roads and the middle setting takes them all in stride. Houston must really be a problem lol.
Yeah, our roads
Same, plenty of crap roads in PA no issues for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You won't have "issues". Just a bouncier ride. :cool:
Drivability and comfort are pretty much diametrically opposed. We have to find the happy medium between comfort and body roll. That's the great thing about these bars being adjustable.

bfp9

Reaction score
Yup - had 45 mins before an appointment and installed my bar. Transformed the ride of the truck.

Cordless impact, and some wrenches is all you need.

Completely planted the truck.

If anyone is on the fence about this, I thoroughly enjoy driving the truck now. No more skipping laterally mid turn hitting a bump. Planted, and rides well.

For the cost, this and the pedal commander have been the two best things I’ve done to my truck.

Pino F

Reaction score
Is it as effective also with the air suspension or is it more for the other types?

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it as effective also with the air suspension or is it more for the other types?

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, just as effective. It doesn't matter what kind of suspension you have. They all sway or lean when cornering and the sway bar is designed to counteract that. Many of us here, myself included, have the air suspension and find the Hellwig to be a "why didn't this come from the factory?" accessory. It makes that much of a noticeable difference in street driving.

bfp9

Reaction score
Just as a note - I just checked all the bolts and two of the sway bar bracket bolts were about a half to a full turn loose. I added a tiny bit of loctite to them to prevent them from backing out.

If you install the bar, I’d recheck the bolts and links real quick to ensure they haven’t loosened any during the first 500 miles of driving.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just as a note - I just checked all the bolts and two of the sway bar bracket bolts were about a half to a full turn loose. I added a tiny bit of loctite to them to prevent them from backing out.

If you install the bar, I’d recheck the bolts and links real quick to ensure they haven’t loosened any during the first 500 miles of driving.
Great advice.

UKreject

Reaction score
I was going to use Moog end links with the Hellwig but they are not much thicker than stock. So Is it necessary to use beefier end links? Sway bar still on soft setting and enjoying improved ride.

Users who are viewing this thread