5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Tailgate won’t open

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had the same issue on my 2019 Laramie. Bringing it into the dealer for the second time next week to see if they can figure this out. Anyone know if Ram is looking into this problem. I do plan on looking at my tonneau cover this weekend to see if I can adjust it forward like suggested in an earlier post, will let you know how I make out.

As an addendum: I move the cover forward to make sure that it wasn't interfering with the tailgate. This worked for about a week then the problem occurred again. Very frustrating!

I had just the opposite happen to be this morning. I got up and looked out the window and my tailgate was down! Reminiscent thoughts of the issue that plagued the Gen 4 trucks except I'm going to blame this first occurrence on the FOB going off in my pocket.

My bighorn does the same thing. Just have to push in on the gate a bit and it will open. Im not in and out of it enough for it to really bother me.

Had same issue numerous times. Have made a video to show the dealer. They tried to tell me that my tonneau cover was holding the tailgate shut but its a over the rails one, so that's not possible lol

I have the same issue with my 2020 bighorn. If I press slightly it opens fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had mine looked at twice by the dealership with no fix.

The first time they cleaned the grounds and it seemed to work for a few months after that. The second time they said there was nothing they could find and there were no messages (STAR Cases or TSBs) that gave them any further guidance outside the shop manual.

A slight inconvenience but it's better than having the HEMI tick. ;)

Kathryn,

Thank you for your response. However Like I said in my Original post. The Night Edition does not have memory seats or a button, However IN the build sheet and on the Ram Website it lists MEMORY MIRRORS. On page 7 of my build sheet it states "Exterior Mirrors w/Memory" and the Build your RAM website Lists Exterior Mirrors with Memory SEE Attached. So when I purchased the vehicle for my wife I thought it would be a convenience to not have to constantly adjust mirrors. View attachment 80951 Now I am seeing I didn't get what I paid for.
Hello everyone! I am deeply sorry for the delayed response to many of you here. However, we would certainly like to extend our support to anyone still experiencing this concern. If at any point you intend to address this with your dealer, please send our team a private message with your VIN. We would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf for additional support throughout your service in order to address and resolve this concern. Thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Realtree555

Reaction score
Same issue with my Bighorn. Actually how I found this forum. Have had it to dealer more then once they finally said it was a problem and they don't have an answer. Ok, great fix.

rnbaja

Reaction score
Thanks to a few members posting on a different thread I adjusted the passenger side striker bolt where the tailgate latches and haven’t had the issue since. I only had to move mine about 1/16th inch rearward and it took about 5 minutes.
This. After 3 visits to the dealership to fix this issue without success, I came across this post and shared it with my dealer. They did exactly what you suggested (moving it 1/16th of an inch rearward) and the tailgate has opened perfectly every single time for about the past two months now. Thank you for posting it.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This. After 3 visits to the dealership to fix this issue without success, I came across this post and shared it with my dealer. They did exactly what you suggested (moving it 1/16th of an inch rearward) and the tailgate has opened perfectly every single time for about the past two months now. Thank you for posting it.
If the computer can't tell the modern technician what to do, then he is totally lost. They can't fix anything , just replace it.

TechyTraveler

Reaction score
I just got my Big Horn in September, and my tailgate just suddenly stopped opening. I tried locking and unlocking several times, and it seems to just be stuck in the locked position (or just closed). Anyone else having this problem?
I have had the same problem since I purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. My tailgate doesn’t always release and it’s a HUGE problem because my large dogs are then trapped in the bed of the truck (I have a Leer Canopy shell). I have had it at the Dodge dealership four times to get this issue fixed. This last time they had it for one month and I picked it up and left the next day to drive 900 miles with three large dogs. And the tailgate failed to unlatch properly when we stopped to let the dogs out. At this point I’m furious and have contacted an attorney to find out what I can do about this ‘lemon’ of a truck. Not just the tailgate but less than two years old and they just put a new transmission in it. I had the truck in for a rear camera issue last month, this is the third time and again the next day while driving 900 miles the rear camera just turns black. Before it would just cut in and out now it doesn’t work at all. I don’t know what is going on with Ram these days but lots of issues with my 2019. Only a few issues with my 2016, mostly the gas tank issue. And no issues with my very first Ram years ago. Highly disappointed and even considering a different manufacturer if these issues don’t get fixed!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had the same problem since I purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. My tailgate doesn’t always release and it’s a HUGE problem because my large dogs are then trapped in the bed of the truck (I have a Leer Canopy shell). I have had it at the Dodge dealership four times to get this issue fixed. This last time they had it for one month and I picked it up and left the next day to drive 900 miles with three large dogs. And the tailgate failed to unlatch properly when we stopped to let the dogs out. At this point I’m furious and have contacted an attorney to find out what I can do about this ‘lemon’ of a truck. Not just the tailgate but less than two years old and they just put a new transmission in it. I had the truck in for a rear camera issue last month, this is the third time and again the next day while driving 900 miles the rear camera just turns black. Before it would just cut in and out now it doesn’t work at all. I don’t know what is going on with Ram these days but lots of issues with my 2019. Only a few issues with my 2016, mostly the gas tank issue. And no issues with my very first Ram years ago. Highly disappointed and even considering a different manufacturer if these issues don’t get fixed!
Look up the post from jloops for the tailgate
the ZF transmissions are one of the best out there but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a bad one from time to time , it just sucks .
I had my backup camera go black just over a year ago , lasted for about 12 hours then it just started working again and has been flawless ever since . Honestly don’t know what happened .

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another member adjusted the latching pin and cured the problem

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another member adjusted the latching pin and cured the problem
Mine binds on the passenger side. If I push in a little on the tailgate it will release and I can open it.

One of these days I plan on moving the latching pin rearward about 1/8" to see if that solves my problem like it has for others.

I've had it looked at twice by the dealership to no avail.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am currently at my dealer for exactly this item. After driving, if you get out if the truck (after turning off) and go to open the tailgate, it just clicks when you pull the handle. If you push in on the tailgate while pulling the handle, it will open. Once it opens the first time, no problems on successive pulls.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the lock mechanism of some sort? Unfortunately, the diagnostic is going to cost me $120!
hey that just happen to me today.i took your advice and i got it open.i did make and appointment like you to see why its doing that!

hamburgram

Reaction score
Had same issue numerous times. Have made a video to show the dealer. They tried to tell me that my tonneau cover was holding the tailgate shut but its a over the rails one, so that's not possible lol
I have the same issue. Dealer is trying to blame the Tonneau cover. I explained that even with the Tonneau cover folded back and not on top of the tailgate it is still sticking.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Dealer is trying to blame the Tonneau cover. I explained that even with the Tonneau cover folded back and not on top of the tailgate it is still sticking.
WHAT!!!😲 you can see that its not even touching it.at least on my(stock).its stuck close again.im not going to try and open it again till the appointment.i want it stuck close like that so they can see it to!

KRField

Reaction score
I replaced the passenger tailgate actuator. It was $35 or $40 I think. It solved the need to shut with force, pushing in to open, and intermittent not latching on passenger side. I always thought the issue was bed cover rails. It has never worked better, even from new.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I replaced the passenger tailgate actuator. It was $35 or $40 I think. It solved the need to shut with force, pushing in to open, and intermittent not latching on passenger side. I always thought the issue was bed cover rails. It has never worked better, even from new.

Can you provide a link to the one you purchased? How hard was it to replace?

Also, for the trick of moving the latching pin towards the rear, what tool can get this done?

MariRam

Reaction score
Yes. Any step by step help on how to move latching pin back 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch would be great! Thanks so much!!

gwatt86

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

I can't get the striker's to budge. What's the trick?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just return from the dealership .about that issue.it took them and hour to fix .its the latch. they were a little shock that it went .but all fixed. they just put on new latches all under warranty. dont waste your time and money trying to fix it your self.they are under warranty and doesnt take that long to fix..."IMHO" (y) (y)

gwatt86

Reaction score
just return from the dealership .about that issue.it took them and hour to fix .its the latch. they were a little shock that it went .but all fixed. they just put on new latches all under warranty. dont waste your time and money trying to fix it your self.they are under warranty and doesnt take that long to fix..."IMHO" (y) (y)
Did they replace both latches or only on one side?

Mike with a bike

Reaction score
I just got my Big Horn in September, and my tailgate just suddenly stopped opening. I tried locking and unlocking several times, and it seems to just be stuck in the locked position (or just closed). Anyone else having this problem?
I am having the same problem. I tried unlocking but it would not open.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I've noticed if I hold down the button to open, it opens almost every time. So rather than just a quick press and release, I hold it until it unlatches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online