5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Tailgate won’t open

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I have a 2019 and experience the exact problem
My tech advises that many times simply adjusting the spindle where the the tailgate attaches to the box sidewall will work. Unfortunately mine didn’t solve that so the tailgate latches were replaced on both sides. Problem solved on my 19’ Limited.

AartWessels

Reaction score
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I have a 2019 and experience the exact problem
Honestly, I thought at first that with the white grease it was better, but was only for a very short while. I still need to push the tailgate a bit upwards if I want it to open. I'll have it checked at the dealership next Friday.

klotz50

Reaction score
My tech advises that many times simply adjusting the spindle where the the tailgate attaches to the box sidewall will work. Unfortunately mine didn’t solve that so the tailgate latches were replaced on both sides. Problem solved on my 19’ Limited.
My actuators are working. I looked closer at it today and noticed the spindles have a plastic sleeve over them and I think that is where the issue lies.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have to push in on mine a little to make it release as well. I do have a bed cover tho.

Matt863

Reaction score

This what I am dealing with on mine. Plus, it will sometimes say tailgate is open when it is not. This was day I brought it home from dealer. Dealer said he never saw that before when I sent the videos. I might try moving the pins tomorrow like others suggested.

327V8Hemi2020

Reaction score
It’s just the cover….I removed it for a month…..not one issue…installed back on and I had to push up on the cover just a hair and the tailgate releases …Its just tight going across the top of the tailgate…..

midfleet

Reaction score
Mine is not a cover issue. The plastic covers break. It's like a $400 fix that the dealer (Butler Ram in Beaufort, SC) refuses to fix, blaming Fiat Chrysler. FCA says it's dealers problem. They both suck.

midfleet

Reaction score
Update. I've finally swung a solution w/ Ram and the dealer. They replaced tailgate latches today. I don't know if they've redesigned the latch or not, but they operate smoother than when the truck was new. The catches are very easy when you lightly close the tailgate and so far operate every time.

Finally, all is well with this truck and I can go back to loving it :)

KRField

Reaction score
Mine is not a cover issue. The plastic covers break. It's like a $400 fix that the dealer (Butler Ram in Beaufort, SC) refuses to fix, blaming Fiat Chrysler. FCA says it's dealers problem. They both suck.

I replaced my passenger side actuator awhile ago. The part was $35 then, not sure the cost now. It took 15 min to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtlifeisbetter

Reaction score
I'm experiencing this same issue. I have the 2019 RAM 1500 Longhorn. For the past two days I have tried everything listed above and nothing will allow me to open tailgate. I'm going camping this weekend and I cannot open it to load my gear. I have a cover that is locked from the inside of the truck bed, so unless I can get the tailgate open, I have no access. Also, my tailgate does not have a latch. It only has the electrical push-button.

AartWessels

Reaction score
Have you tried lifting it upwards and pushing it away from you a bit while pressing the push-button?
That should normally do it. Can there be something in the bed pushing against the tailgate? That’s a quite common cause.

mtlifeisbetter

Reaction score
Have you tried lifting it upwards and pushing it away from you a bit while pressing the push-button?
That should normally do it. Can there be something in the bed pushing against the tailgate? That’s a quite common cause.
Yes. I finally got it to work. I put my weight onto it, as I pushed and popped the button and it opened right up. While I had it opened, I sprayed the latches with WD40 and it opens every time now.

AartWessels

Reaction score
Yes. I finally got it to work. I put my weight onto it, as I pushed and popped the button and it opened right up. While I had it opened, I sprayed the latches with WD40 and it opens every time now.
WD40 white grease I hope, not the standard WD40? That’s only meant to loosen things up, not really a proper lubricant.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Have 2019 Rebel with standard tailgate that has started not opening intermittently. Thank you to eveyrone that posted fixes on here. Going to try lubing it first. NOT going to dealership, I hate hassles.

Me yelling into the wind - I had a 2003 Dakota that I put 225K miles on, and it was basically trouble free compared to this Ram truck. Well it was basically trouble free until engine #2 developed rod knock, but I blame the engine builder, not Dodge for that one...

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have 2019 Rebel with standard tailgate that has started not opening intermittently. Thank you to eveyrone that posted fixes on here. Going to try lubing it first. NOT going to dealership, I hate hassles.

Me yelling into the wind - I had a 2003 Dakota that I put 225K miles on, and it was basically trouble free compared to this Ram truck. Well it was basically trouble free until engine #2 developed rod knock, but I blame the engine builder, not Dodge for that one...
i had the same issue,but since it was new i didnt bother tring to fix it myself.it was under warrenty i just took it back to the dealer

327V8Hemi2020

Reaction score

If you have a cover on your bed you have to push forward on the tailgate while lifting the release handle..works every time…no need to take to dealership…they wont do anything.

RamNewby

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 1500 Bighorn with an electronic tailgate release, no tonneau cover. Got it home from CarMax and when I pulled the handle, I could hear the latches click but the tailgate wouldn't open. Did all sorts of pushing/pulling while activating the handle and it would open every so often but mostly stuck closed.

Looked at the latches and they appeared pretty gunked up. Sprayed them down with brake cleaner, hit them with some silicone lubricant and they have been perfect ever since.

Vulpes

Reaction score
If you have a cover on your bed you have to push forward on the tailgate while lifting the release handle..works every time…no need to take to dealership…they wont do anything.
No cover, just a well used tailgate, in dirty/dusty conditions. I soaked the latch mechanisms with a penetrating lubricant, let them soak for a bit, then blew them out with compressed air. After that, they got a healthy dose of white lithium and they are unlocking consistently now. Might replace the plastic sleeves on the posts at some point, as they look pretty chewed up.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you adjust the tailgate side to side? I’d like to move mine closer to the driver side to get it more even. It’s close enough to the passenger side that it could make contact & affect the paint. If I could move it roughly 1/8”-1/4” to the left it would be where it SHOULD be.

mrkg1313

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my gate. It doesn't want to open. It clicks but doesn't unlatch. I hVe to push on it and try several times before it finally opens. Then it opens well for awhile. It seems to be an intermitten problem. 2 times that I've taken it to the dealer it has opened when they try. It's starting to get pretty frustrating. The dealer claims it works fine and hasn't done anything to it. I think I'm going to have to push the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread