5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Tailgate won’t open

midfleet

Reaction score
Well, after my last visit the dealer was to order the replacement parts and didn't. Now they are telling me that if this had started, they could have fixed it under one of their Dealer support programs up to 60K miles. Well, that ship has sailed.

So, dealer agreed to support the fix, but FCA is not upholding the warranty. Told me I should have made them aware before 60K miles. So, let me get this straight. Making them aware at 25K, 35K, 42K, 46K.....was not enough? Beware. I'm now in an endless loop with FCA and my dealer pointing fingers at each other. All the while my tailgate barely works and only the left side latch is still functional. The right side plastic bit has broken off and is rattling around inside the tailgate...

DeV

Reaction score
Well, after my last visit the dealer was to order the replacement parts and didn't. Now they are telling me that if this had started, they could have fixed it under one of their Dealer support programs up to 60K miles. Well, that ship has sailed.

So, dealer agreed to support the fix, but FCA is not upholding the warranty. Told me I should have made them aware before 60K miles. So, let me get this straight. Making them aware at 25K, 35K, 42K, 46K.....was not enough? Beware. I'm now in an endless loop with FCA and my dealer pointing fingers at each other. All the while my tailgate barely works and only the left side latch is still functional. The right side plastic bit has broken off and is rattling around inside the tailgate...
You have LASFIT bulbs in the 3rd brake light?

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2019 lonestar 1500. It just wont open sometimes, i cant think of any reason on why or when it happens, so I took it into the dealer, they cleaned it and greased it . Gee thank you i would have never thought of that.
Mines done it twice. I shot some wd-40 into the mechanism and works perfectly. I try to lubricate all hinges a few times a year. For whatever reason the tailgate sticks if not lubricated.

promatchracer

Reaction score
I got the truck to the dealership, and they are saying the BCM isn't sending enough power to unlock the tailgate. They said it is sending the signal, and it's just not enough power. They have also implied that they're not going to replace the tonneau cover. I'm still going to try and convince them to, since it's 100% the truck's fault that the tonneau cover got stuck on there. If they don't cover it, I'd be afraid to put anything on it again.
What all came of this
I have a 19 Laramie that is doing the same thing
It wont Unlock no matter what method I use It isn't the normal Push and click and it works There is no clicking noise at all
I was fortunate I had the toneau completely off and was able to after about 4 hours trying to figure out to open it I figured out where the release latches are in the tailegate
I still need mine fixed though
Thanks

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What all came of this
I have a 19 Laramie that is doing the same thing
It wont Unlock no matter what method I use It isn't the normal Push and click and it works There is no clicking noise at all
I was fortunate I had the toneau completely off and was able to after about 4 hours trying to figure out to open it I figured out where the release latches are in the tailegate
I still need mine fixed though
Thanks
my truck did the same..its still under warranty.i just took it to the dealer.let them fix it

Last edited:

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 2 or 3 attempts at fixing my tailgate for not unlocking, I had my dealer service replace both my left and right tailgate actuators.
Works perfect now.

midfleet

Reaction score
my truck did the same..its still under warranty.i just took it to the dealer.let them fix it
I started telling the dealer about it while it was under warranty, but they "couldn't replicate it". Now that they have an understanding of it and a bulletin created, I'm out of warranty. I'm so done with this ****.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started telling the dealer about it while it was under warranty, but they "couldn't replicate it". Now that they have an understanding of it and a bulletin created, I'm out of warranty. I'm so done with this ****.
i knew that was going to happen...so when my would not operate.i left it in that "Locked"position.till my appointment day...pull in they ask me what up and i took them to them rear of the truck and told them"Open the tailgate".Wow they said..."thats the issue" i reponded

midfleet

Reaction score
i knew that was going to happen...so when my would not operate.i left it in that "Locked"position.till my appointment day...pull in they ask me what up and i took them to them rear of the truck and told them"Open the tailgate".Wow they said..."thats the issue" i reponded
I did that as well. Even at the advice of my service advisor, so that the tech was the one to actuate it. Every time I go in I do that. Ohh well, they've broken me. I'll try to buy parts and repair myself and see how hard it is. The now broken piece of plastic really rattles when you can actually get it open ;)

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
Mine was really sticky... I read this thread, sprayed a liberal amount of white lithium grease on and into the latch mechanism and it works great now. Not sure if that was my issue or if I'm just prolonging an inevitable failure to come, but it certainly helped for now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

327V8Hemi2020

Reaction score
I found out that when tailgates stick its due to the cover being tight hold it back…just push forward and up frees it up to fall if that is causing it…..I was going crazy when mine was sticking…sprayed, greased and even took off the tailgate and checked everything….but it was all due to the cover being tight holding the tailgate from free falling. Hope this helps some who are having this issue…

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found out that when tailgates stick its due to the cover being tight hold it back…just push forward and up frees it up to fall if that is causing it…..I was going crazy when mine was sticking…sprayed, greased and even took off the tailgate and checked everything….but it was all due to the cover being tight holding the tailgate from free falling. Hope this helps some who are having this issue…
My cover is for security, so I left it loose. Still doesn't open once in a while, but a gentle push and voila, opens. Just a minor adjustment to the side latches would cure it, bud just haven't gotten to it.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not in all cases!
I would try my auto tailgate on the fob and it wouldn’t unlock. I’d try the handle and it would be locked. I have passive entry and touching the tailgate handle should unlock it…it didn’t. Nothing to do with the cover. Actuators had to be replaced on mine.

AartWessels

Reaction score
I do recognise that pushing while pressing the button or handle helps for me as well. And indeed, when I have something in the bed pushing against the tailgate, it will be very difficult to open.
ordered some wd40 white grease and will try to adjust the latches as well, when the weather permits 😊

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not in all cases!
I would try my auto tailgate on the fob and it wouldn’t unlock. I’d try the handle and it would be locked. I have passive entry and touching the tailgate handle should unlock it…it didn’t. Nothing to do with the cover. Actuators had to be replaced on mine.
thats what they found with mine also..replaced under warranty (y)

Bike4mee

Reaction score
thats what they found with mine also..replaced under warranty (y)
My tailgate and camera problem is the plug from the tailgate to the truck. It's corroded. Has anybody else had this corrosion problem?

klotz50

Reaction score
I do recognise that pushing while pressing the button or handle helps for me as well. And indeed, when I have something in the bed pushing against the tailgate, it will be very difficult to open.
ordered some wd40 white grease and will try to adjust the latches as well, when the weather permits 😊
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I have a 2019 and experience the exact problem

Users who are viewing this thread