5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 new style 12.1 display has know issues FAC is hiding

lsteele

Reaction score
My 70 K ram has been at the Dealer for the fifth time with the following issues.
1) Nav locks up and video was presented to STAR and unit on info page has no signal
2) Backup camera doesnt turm off on many ocasions.
3) No sound comes out of FM AUX, or XM until you cycle to AM then back to your band of choice.
4) XM, say on channel 100 will all of a sudden display 65535 and if you try to manually change to another channel it always goes back to "1"
5) Unit when starting vehicle doesnt boot perodically.
6) Looses all channel presets.

All issues happen randomly, now at the fifth service request, a STAR case was started. After almost nonexistant communication between the Engineers and Dealer tech on the 9th day the question of the entire day was "how often does it happen?" I pulled the vehicle tonight and started a Florida Lemon Law claim. Engineering said they were not aware of any of these issues. Guess what, As I was taking back the truck, the service advisor said another 19 came in with the exact same conditions. Try calling FAC. Try getting a factory Rep to the Dealer. Fingers start pointing at each other, FAC Customer Service and the Dealer. 9 days at the Dealer and Engineering asked them to ask me how often it happens for a technical question. GIVE me my $70K back. Terrible coverup......

smiles5619

Reaction score
My 70 K ram has been at the Dealer for the fifth time with the following issues.
1) Nav locks up and video was presented to STAR and unit on info page has no signal
3) No sound comes out of FM AUX, or XM until you cycle to AM then back to your band of choice.
4) XM, say on channel 100 will all of a sudden display 65535 and if you try to manually change to another channel it always goes back to "1"

All issues happen randomly, now at the fifth service request, a STAR case was started. After almost nonexistant communication between the Engineers and Dealer tech on the 9th day the question of the entire day was "how often does it happen?" I pulled the vehicle tonight and started a Florida Lemon Law claim. Engineering said they were not aware of any of these issues. Guess what, As I was taking back the truck, the service advisor said another 19 came in with the exact same conditions. Try calling FAC. Try getting a factory Rep to the Dealer. Fingers start pointing at each other, FAC Customer Service and the Dealer. 9 days at the Dealer and Engineering asked them to ask me how often it happens for a technical question. GIVE me my $70K back. Terrible coverup......
There is a TSB for some of the issues you are referring to, check out the TSB forum here. I too have some similar issues, the presets, dropped calls, Andriod auto issues, etc. Have went through all the same avenues. There is a bunch of forums already on here about this. FCA is stating an update to the software is coming soon. Last I heard, it would be in the 3rd quarter.

bmarcurella

Reaction score

I am having the same issue with mine.
NAV is completely incorrect and not showing correct locations.
HK System doesn't sound all that good.
SiriusXM 360+Guardian stopped working and won't reactivate
No remote start from App because Sirius isn't' working.
Carplay is a little buggy.
Odd features/Functionality when moving through menus and split screen doesn't really work.

lsteele

Reaction score
NAV 12 is down again. FCA kept it at the Dealer 8 days last time and wrote a email to Dealers Master Tech once a day. Last day before I pulled the vehicle was a very technical day. FCA Engineer ask the Dealers Master Tech " How ofter does it happen"? I pulled the vehicle which was on a STAR case. BTW, Service Advisor said another truck came in just before I pulled mine with the same issues. I have take another video of the frozen nav and the info page where no sattelite signals are present. Trying to file for Lemon Law but Cas Manager says she calls and leaves voice mails and I showed my Verizon log where there were none. Twice she closes the case this way. I have asked three times for Supervisors to call and they never do. Almost got excited last Friday, as a pair were researching the case and would call me in 30 minutes. Guess what no call. What a total coverup at FAC.

Last edited:

bmarcurella

Reaction score
Yeah I was able to fix all my issues except the nav and SiriusXM. It still shows grayed out on my truck. The issue with nav has to be it her be the software or the telematics. The telematics is what connects them all together. I tried disconnecting it but no luck. Tried pulling the fuse and still got nowhere.

ddharris

Reaction score
Have any of the 12.1 unconnected Head systems been replaced? Doesnt sound like much troubleshooting has gone into this by the dealer.

bmarcurella

Reaction score
@ddharris mine is going in tomorrow to get it replaced. They already got it. Mine is only a week old so they said they may just get me a new truck. We shall see.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@sticker500 @SpeedyV have you guys had any issues with your UConnect? Nav or had to replace the telematics piece?

I honestly have not had anything major. I have seen issues where on SiriusXM the logos for the presets didn't show up but then next cycle they appeared. that has happened a few times over a year. Other than that I can't think of anything else. I use Spotify now via Bluetooth and couldn't see album art but after upgrading to iOS 13 Beta it now shows up so doesn't seem to be a UConnect issue.

bmarcurella

Reaction score
I honestly have not had anything major. I have seen issues where on SiriusXM the logos for the presets didn't show up but then next cycle they appeared. that has happened a few times over a year. Other than that I can't think of anything else. I use Spotify now via Bluetooth and couldn't see album art but after upgrading to iOS 13 Beta it now shows up so doesn't seem to be a UConnect issue.
Yeah I updated to the beta and CarPlay seems a lot better which shocked the **** out of me being a beta. Haha

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have any of the 12.1 unconnected Head systems been replaced? Doesnt sound like much troubleshooting has gone into this by the dealer.
Mine was but I firmly believe it didn't need to be replaced. I think all of the issues ara combination of software and Sirius and can be resolved by updates and flashes.

ddharris

Reaction score
Mine was but I firmly believe it didn't need to be replaced. I think all of the issues ara combination of software and Sirius and can be resolved by updates and flashes.
You might not think it needed replacement but that is a first step to half splitting the problem. At least it is a step.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed on on the day before yesterday that my sat radio had lost all 12 of my presets. All of them went back to saying "Hold to set" or something like that.

I gave it a few key cycles, hoping they would come back, but they never did. Yesterday, I finally gave up and reprogrammed just preset #1.

Today, that preset was lost again. I also noticed today that it had lost my customization of the button bar at the bottom of the screen. I had replaced the Backup Cam icon with the 360 Cam icon, but today it had gone back to having the Backup Cam icon in that spot.

I've only had my truck for 3 weeks. I think the build date (month) was 3/19.

ddharris

Reaction score
I noticed on on the day before yesterday that my sat radio had lost all 12 of my presets. All of them went back to saying "Hold to set" or something like that.

I gave it a few key cycles, hoping they would come back, but they never did. Yesterday, I finally gave up and reprogrammed just preset #1.

Today, that preset was lost again. I also noticed today that it had lost my customization of the button bar at the bottom of the screen. I had replaced the Backup Cam icon with the 360 Cam icon, but today it had gone back to having the Backup Cam icon in that spot.

I've only had my truck for 3 weeks. I think the build date (month) was 3/19.
If the memory for the Uconnect is on the head unit then head unit needs to be replaced or the memory bank. I assume presets are stored in the unconnect head unit. If FCA did it right the system should have NVRAM style battery powered chip that remembers setting regardless if power was interrupted. Assuming that is.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@sticker500 @SpeedyV have you guys had any issues with your UConnect? Nav or had to replace the telematics piece?
Much like @sticker500, I’ve seen no issues but the occasional missing ‘album cover’ and a couple of reboots of the system (like literally two) while I’ve been out driving, presumably due to updates. We’ve had something like $20 billion in road construction in DFW over the past few years, so some of the new toll roads are still missing from the UConnect nav...but I use Google Maps via CarPlay most of the time anyway. I pretty much listen to SiriusXM exclusively.

Users who are viewing this thread