5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

trevorluken

Reaction score
I will tell yall this i sell the mx4s and just installed one on my truck best cover bakflip makes in my opinion. Wish i could send them to yall at my cost because bakflip makes a killing on these. My price on the g2 vs mx4 is a 25 dollar difference but a big difference on internet

Last edited:

ponypride

Reaction score
I will tell yall this i sell the mx4s and just installed one on my truck best cover bakflip makes in my opinion. Wish i could send them to yall at my cost because bakflip makes a killing on these. My price on the g2 vs mx4 is a 25 dollar difference but a big difference on internet
What is the best MX4 price for a 2019, no RAM box, 5'7" bed?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After finding some reviews that mentioned the X4Revolver having issues in the cold/snow, I decided to go back to the Mx4. However, like RamEnvy mentioned I believe, I chose the LineX version of the Mx4 (stealth), as it comes with a lifetime warranty. Truck shop confirmed it is the exact Mx4 made by Bak. The only difference is at the end they put TruckGear label at bottom. Not available yet, but they're hopeful in the next month here.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone looked hard at (or bought) the new Line-X LXP cover? From digging around, it appears it is the new BakFlip F1 with ding-proof panels and a 400lb weight rating but Line-X adds a lifetime warranty and Line-X coating on the outside of the panels for what they claim is a UV-proof cover.

I was thinking of a BakFlip MX4 but hear a lot of reports of dings in the aluminum. This seems like a possibly better route and the lifetime warranty doesn't hurt. Found a place in Ft. Worth selling them for $1,018 and they say they can color match the Line-X coating to match your truck.

https://www.linexfortworthtexas.com/truck-accessories

ponypride

Reaction score
Anyone looked hard at (or bought) the new Line-X LXP cover? From digging around, it appears it is the new BakFlip F1 with ding-proof panels and a 400lb weight rating but Line-X adds a lifetime warranty and Line-X coating on the outside of the panels for what they claim is a UV-proof cover.

I was thinking of a BakFlip MX4 but hear a lot of reports of dings in the aluminum. This seems like a possibly better route and the lifetime warranty doesn't hurt. Found a place in Ft. Worth selling them for $1,018 and they say they can color match the Line-X coating to match your truck.

https://www.linexfortworthtexas.com/truck-accessories
I saw the Lin-X cover at a Line-X dealer in Wilmington, NC. It is a pretty good looking cover. In standard black I was quoted $950 installed.

4midlife

Reaction score
I have the Bakflip MX4 on my Laramie and overall not happy with it. For the money ($1k) it should fit better than it does. The end of the cover where it meets tailgate sits about a 1/4 inch above the tailgate. The rubber on the side of the panels that meet the bed rails are constantly folding over meaning over time that rubber will end up cracking and not sealing.

Lastly, is the level of water that gets past the cover. If you look at the instructions it shows connecting a drain tube to drain water from the rails outside the bed. This is almost comical knowing the amount of water the seeps between the panels.

I have reached out to the company and they were less than helpful to ultimately going MIA via email.

I would highly suggest doing research; if I were to do it over again I would not have purchased the Bakflip MX4.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@4midlife

The back panel is designed to sit a bit high in order to allow the tailgate to close without raising the back panel as with the G2. That's the need for the seals under it. Not understanding how the side seals are folding under. Under what? The seals lay on top of the side rail. Not sure what they are folding under or how. The drains help if you get debris or something that wouldn't allow the side seals to seal.

I've had multiple Bakflip tonneaus. All the previous ones were G2's and I got tired of people helping to close the tailgate with the last panel latched resulting in a wadded up seal. And it was a 2 handed operation. This MX4 eliminates that. I actually have the Mopar branded version but it's basically a MX4.

Sorry it doesn't meet your expectations...

4midlife

Reaction score
@4midlife

The back panel is designed to sit a bit high in order to allow the tailgate to close without raising the back panel as with the G2. That's the need for the seals under it. Not understanding how the side seals are folding under. Under what? The seals lay on top of the side rail. Not sure what they are folding under or how. The drains help if you get debris or something that wouldn't allow the side seals to seal.

I've had multiple Bakflip tonneaus. All the previous ones were G2's and I got tired of people helping to close the tailgate with the last panel latched resulting in a wadded up seal. And it was a 2 handed operation. This MX4 eliminates that. I actually have the Mopar branded version but it's basically a MX4.

Sorry it doesn't meet your expectations...
Thanks for your response. Let be more specific; the seal on the back panel doesn't touch the tailgate as it sits too high. That is my frustration.

The side seals are folding under themselves, or rather rolling under themselves. So I am constantly having to slide my finger under the side seal from front to back to flatten them back out. It is almost as if it is not wide enough for the bed and therefore catches the inside of the bed causing it to roll under.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Let be more specific; the seal on the back panel doesn't touch the tailgate as it sits too high. That is my frustration.

The side seals are folding under themselves, or rather rolling under themselves. So I am constantly having to slide my finger under the side seal from front to back to flatten them back out. It is almost as if it is not wide enough for the bed and therefore catches the inside of the bed causing it to roll under.

I actually had to bend the bed body flange on one side to level the panel along the tailgate. I looked at my side seal orientation. There's about a a quarter inch of surface that the seal rests against that you can see. The rest is under the seal.

Edit...
If you are speaking about the small seal on the bed rail. Then I think you don't have the rails right enough on the bed.

Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone taken delivery of a mx4 for rambox? I ordered mine in June and have yet to receive it. I ordered it from :
https://bakfliptonneaucover.com/

Have not really been concerned about it as the truck still has not been built yet. It looks like maybe that may change soon

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with bak industries, the rambox version will not be released until September 24

BAKFlip MX4 MATTE FINISH 2019 DODGE Ram With Ram Box 5' 7" Bed
Product id 448227RB

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with bak industries, the rambox version will not be released until September 24

BAKFlip MX4 MATTE FINISH 2019 DODGE Ram With Ram Box 5' 7" Bed
Product id 448227RB

I ordered the Stealth (Mx4 branded for LineX dealers under TruckGear label). I got this email this morning:

I just wanted to update you on the Stealth Cover we have on order.

I am waiting on a call back for an exact ETA. I was told they are on the production schedule, but they couldn't tell me when. They do have all of the part #s available and I have backordered one so you will be first in line.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the BakFlip MX4 on mine and after going through a torrential downpour and NONE of my luggage getting wet, I am sold on it.

Users who are viewing this thread