5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

justintx

Reaction score
I've been looking for a folding tonneau cover for my 2019 Limited. It looks like the OEM offered, BAKFlip and Gator are all the same except for the price. Does anyone else think the same?
Also, are there any RealTruck reps on this Forum?
Thanks in advanced!
Justintx

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not 100% but it looks like the OEM cover is the Bakflip fiberglass version. I'm planning ongoing with the MX4 aluminum for better UV resistance and I've heard from some who had water seep into the fiberglass and then freeze in the winter and get waterlogged in the summer.

justintx

Reaction score
Some more Info...
Not much info on the Ram site for the OEM cover, but did a search on the part number 82215227AB and found an installation guide that had a support phone number (833-204-2606)and a truck-hero.com email address ([email protected]). I called the support line and the woman I talked to said she was pretty sure it's the BAKFlip G2 with Mopar/Ram badging. One difference is that the OEM version has a 3yr warranty compared to BAK's 2yr. The other thing I noticed is that the BAK website says "Tailgate: Close w/ Cover Up only"
for the G2. The install guide for the OEM says "The tailgate can be closed with the tail panel opened or closed." Also, if you get the OEM and have issues, you can take it to any DCJR dealership.
I also asked her if the BAKBox 2 would work with the OEM when they start making it to fit the 2019 Ram 1500. She couldn't say for sure, in the past the BAKBox was compatible with the OEM products they make.
Edwards, I've been thinking about the MX4 as well... and I'm still looking, but I've found the OEM cover online at moparfactoryparts.com for $757.78 (total which includes shipping to Cypress, TX).

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Is the OEM you are referring to the same as the tri-fold option when custom ordering? Tri-fold was only $450, so I figured it wasn't a hard top and I passed on it.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am 99.9% positive the OEM Mopar Tri-fold tonneau cover is not a hard cover.

Someone on here last month posted photos of their trip-fold Mopar cover that came with their 19 Ram. It also was not flush with the sides of the bed. I think this OEM cover is nothing like a Bakflip

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory installed cover is not a hard cover. Justintx was referring to the Mopar hard cover sold as an accessory on the website mentioned.

justintx

Reaction score
Update:
In my quest for a Tonneau Cover, I came across this information that may help someone else out.

This information relates to the Mopar Accessory Hard-Folding Tonneau Cover listed here:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/2019/ram-1500/mopar-accessories.html

Just wanted to relay some information I received on this Tonneau:
I found installation instructions online that included a support phone number and email address which were for Truck-Hero. ( Phone: 833-204-2606. Email: [email protected])
I emailed them asking some questions about the comparable aftermarket version.
Here is their response:

Good morning,
OEM part number 82215227AB is comparable to the BAKFlip G2. These two covers are similar in functionality as well as their semi-gloss finish, however, differ in their warranty as well as their tailgate function. The OEM cover does carry a 3 year, 36,000M/60,000KM warranty (whichever comes first) and does allow you to open and close your tailgate freely, whereas the BAKFlip G2 carries a 2 year warranty and does not allow you to open and close your tailgate freely (you will need to close your tailgate with the cover up and then close the cover on top to be sure no damage is caused to the tailgate seal).
If you have any additional questions, please let me know.
Taylor Maisevich
OE Customer Care
Truck Hero, Inc
Toll Free: 833-204-2606
Email: [email protected]

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the backflip G4, you are supposed to be able to open/close tailgate with cover closed. As I don’t yet have the cover or the truck, I cannot talk from experience

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the backflip G4, you are supposed to be able to open/close tailgate with cover closed. As I don’t yet have the cover or the truck, I cannot talk from experience

I ordered a Bakflip MX4 (the model for the 2019 1500 with ramboxes) when they had their promotion a few weeks ago...same situation here, you're supposed to be able to open and close the tailgate with the cover down...also don't have my truck to verify this (cover is due within the next couple weeks)

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the G2 on my 2014 and yes you have to open the cover before closing the tailgate. Will be ordering MX4 when I get my Rebel. My buddy has the MX4 on his 2018 and yes you can open/close your tailgate without opening the cover.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the G2 on my 2014 and yes you have to open the cover before closing the tailgate. Will be ordering MX4 when I get my Rebel. My buddy has the MX4 on his 2018 and yes you can open/close your tailgate without opening the cover.

I've head pretty good luck so far with ordering from Morrie at Tonneau factory outlet. My MX4 for the Rambox was 859.88 (minus $75 dollar rebate) with free shipping and no tax. Bakflip has (had) a 4 week backorder on rambox models so I'm still waiting for it to arrive (which is fine since I dont have the truck)

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've head pretty good luck so far with ordering from Morrie at Tonneau factory outlet. My MX4 for the Rambox was 859.88 (minus $75 dollar rebate) with free shipping and no tax. Bakflip has (had) a 4 week backorder on rambox models so I'm still waiting for it to arrive (which is fine since I dont have the truck)

Unfortunately that won't be a option for me as I am in Canada so shipping alone would be way too much and then you have customs. I have about 10 places around here that can get one so will get it from the one that offers for the best price and I will be getting some side steps/bar too. FCA wants $1100US for them so I am looking at GoRhino ones for half the price.

justintx

Reaction score
I ordered a MX4 earlier today. Should be in and installed next week. I’ll post up some photos when it’s on.
Still looking at the MX4 myself, but I'm weighing the fact that the Mopar version (G2 w/ 3yr warranty and tailgate closing) I can get delivered for ~$750.
Did you get any kind of a deal??
There was someone on here or another forum that said they got an MX4 for about $1000 with a free BAKbox.... I asked him how he managed to get that deal, but he never replied.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if you're dead set on Backflip, but I have a LoMax tri-fold on my 2019 and really like it. It doesn't rest up against the back glass, but can easily be removed by one person if you know you're going to need the full length of bed.

It sits above the bed rails so there aren't channels/seals and drains like on most of the other flip covers.

Got it for $675 delivered.

Here's a thread with pictures from @marcd118 : Lomax tonneau cover installed (pics)

Last edited:

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score

I ordered a MX4 from Morrie today, no ram box was 799.88. No tax and free shipping, had to go with it. Lol, my truck is still sitting in “built, pending inspection”.

justintx

Reaction score
I don't know if your dead set on Backflip, but I have a LoMax tri-fold on my 2019 and really like it. It doesn't rest up against the back glass, but can easily be removed by one person if you know you're going to need the full length of bed.
It sits above the bed rails so there aren't channels/seals and drains like on most of the other flip covers.
Got it for $675 delivered.
Here's a thread with pictures from @marcd118 : Lomax tonneau cover installed (pics)
Thanks for the info. I like the looks of the Lomax, but I think I like the utility of the BAKFlip along with being able to add the BAKbox.

I ordered a MX4 from Morrie today, no ram box was 799.88. No tax and free shipping, had to go with it. Lol, my truck is still sitting in “built, pending inspection”.
THANKS for the info 202snowman and Lakewake. I'll keep ol' Morrie in mind when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread