5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still think this is the best way to go with the short 5'7" bed. Even it blocks my view, it would be blocked if I had a full load anyway and the non-tow mirrors give a good view of what's back there.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still think this is the best way to go with the short 5'7" bed. Even it blocks my view, it would be blocked if I had a full load anyway and the non-tow mirrors give a good view of what's back there.

Same here...plus I'm used to driving fire trucks without any rear window lol

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm likely a little gun shy since this is my first full size truck and the idea of not being able to see out makes me nervous. But I doubt I would have it all the way up like that very often at all. I'm surprised a previous poster hated the Revolver. The guy I talked to really hyped it up and said he has it on his own truck too.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And thank you for this. Btw, does anything keep the cover in that position? Or is that assuming the load in your truck is pushing against it?

Yes, there are two rods (one on each side) that lock it into place. I just didn't put them up for the picture.

justintx

Reaction score
I have the MX4 on the 5'7" regular bed. I just took some pics to show you what it will look like. You do lose all visibility out the rear window. So far I love the cover.

Hey 202snowman,
My MX4 finally came in last night and I'll be installing it tonight or tomorrow morning. Did you have any issues while installing? Any tips?
Thanks!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey 202snowman,
My MX4 finally came in last night and I'll be installing it tonight or tomorrow morning. Did you have any issues while installing? Any tips?
Thanks!

I didn't really have any issues installing it....took me a little over an hour by myself. I haven't tried it in a carwash yet or with the power washer to see if it leaks any but if it does i'll just look at some additional weatherstipping.

justintx

Reaction score
I didn't really have any issues installing it....took me a little over an hour by myself. I haven't tried it in a carwash yet or with the power washer to see if it leaks any but if it does i'll just look at some additional weatherstipping.
Thanks! There were a couple of guys on here that said they had to drill out a couple of holes where it attached to the rails (I think)… good to know that maybe BAK has addressed that.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! There were a couple of guys on here that said they had to drill out a couple of holes where it attached to the rails (I think)… good to know that maybe BAK has addressed that.

I didn't drill any holes and there wasn't anything in the instructions to drill out holes. They only think I can think of would be drain holes and i was able to route that into the pocket in the fender right next to the drain holes.

justintx

Reaction score
I didn't drill any holes and there wasn't anything in the instructions to drill out holes. They only think I can think of would be drain holes and i was able to route that into the pocket in the fender right next to the drain holes.
It was that the holes didn't line up with the bracket on the rails..

ryelinek

Reaction score
This is good to know. The place I called today recommended the Revolver over the MX4 due to it not blocking your window (per them.) But if it is junk I don't want it.

@ryelinek and others with the MX4, is the vision completely blocked when folded up out the back? Does it otherwise allow you to maximize space? With ramboxe and 5.7 bed, I don't want to lose anymore space.

What snowman said is spot on. It blocks your view when folded all the way but you can get a full cargo load.

Really like mine a lot and I doubt you will be disappointed. I didn’t install mine though as I got a great price for everything so I just can’t much help there. A few leaks will get inside my bed after a storm but you can’t expect it to be 100%.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What snowman said is spot on. It blocks your view when folded all the way but you can get a full cargo load.

Really like mine a lot and I doubt you will be disappointed. I didn’t install mine though as I got a great price for everything so I just can’t much help there. A few leaks will get inside my bed after a storm but you can’t expect it to be 100%.

I read on the description for the Mx4 that you can completely remove it in a minute or two if you want. Sound accurate? In the rare chances I was hauling something large for an extended period that I wanted to be able to see through the back, I could simply remove it, no? Or is the description overselling how quickly it can be removed?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read on the description for the Mx4 that you can completely remove it in a minute or two if you want. Sound accurate? In the rare chances I was hauling something large for an extended period that I wanted to be able to see through the back, I could simply remove it, no? Or is the description overselling how quickly it can be removed?

I'd say more lke 3 or 4 minutes lol. It would be a little pain in the ***, but there are two bolts that hold the cover to the frame. If you remove the bolts, you can remove the cover. You just have to crawl underneath, or have long arms to reach them

1534543518803.png

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say more lke 3 or 4 minutes lol. It would be a little pain in the ***, but there are two bolts that hold the cover to the frame. If you remove the bolts, you can remove the cover. You just have to crawl underneath, or have long arms to reach them

View attachment 2813
Awesome photos man, really appreciate it. In the infrequent times I'd ever have to worry about obstructed vision, taking 3-4 minutes wouldn't be a big deal at all. In fact, I'd keep the socket set for those bolts in the handy dandy Rambox just in case the occasion arose. :) A local place I'm considering having window tint done quote me 1,000 dollars installed for the Mx4. Doesn't seem like a bad deal considering the price I've seen the Mx4 being sold by itself.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome photos man, really appreciate it. In the infrequent times I'd ever have to worry about obstructed vision, taking 3-4 minutes wouldn't be a big deal at all. In fact, I'd keep the socket set for those bolts in the handy dandy Rambox just in case the occasion arose. :) A local place I'm considering having window tint done quote me 1,000 dollars installed for the Mx4. Doesn't seem like a bad deal considering the price I've seen the Mx4 being sold by itself.

I paid about $860 for the cover, no tax and free shipping from TonneauFactoryOutlet.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Morrie at TonneaFactoryOutlet. He ran me through all the ins and outs, but in the end he highly recommended I go with the Revolver over the MX4 (which he still spoke highly of btw, so not knocking it at all). He said the first ones had quality issues that have since been fixed. 869 for Mx4. 919 for Revolver. I can get the Revolver local though for 950 installed and the local place puts their own warranty on it. Considering the local install shop and Morrie both recommended the Revolver for my truck build, I think I'm going that direction. Of course, I'm way behind everyone else on my order so I have plenty of time to change my mind. ;)

justintx

Reaction score

Call Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet . He's a great guy and can answer any questions you might have. I spoke with him about different covers for about 20 min. I decided on the MX4 for $799 delivered. (Will be installing it this weekend.)
PS Let him know you heard about him on the forum.

Just saw your post quoting $869.... he must have had a manufacturer incentive when I made the order...

RT70808

Reaction score
Call Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet . He's a great guy and can answer any questions you might have. I spoke with him about different covers for about 20 min. I decided on the MX4 for $799 delivered. (Will be installing it this weekend.)

Just saw your post quoting $869.... he must have had a manufacturer incentive when I made the order...
Why isn’t anyone ordering the Mopar version of the mx?
It’s on my shopping list along with a bedrug.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you have Ramboxes? I think that was an extra 60.

Users who are viewing this thread