5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
Any chance to see how water tight it is?

I have had it since June 22 and we have has some pretty bad storms here in WV, actually had one today. All I have seen is a little water in the rear corners by the tailgate but very minimal. I keep boxes of notepads and hats for my work and everything has been staying dry. My last truck I had the hard cover and it never leaked but was limited on what I could put in the bed. I will try and post a few pics tomorrow.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. Where did you run your drain hoses? Did you drill the rubber stoppers at the bottom of the bed, or did you use the open holes at the top? Thanks

You can just snake the hoses through the top holes that access the stake pocket. One of mine slid right down, the other took some fiddling. No need to drill any holes.

justintx

Reaction score
Update:
In my quest for a Tonneau Cover, I came across this information that may help someone else out.

This information relates to the Mopar Accessory Hard-Folding Tonneau Cover listed here:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/2019/ram-1500/mopar-accessories.html

Just wanted to relay some information I received on this Tonneau:
I found installation instructions online that included a support phone number and email address which were for Truck-Hero. ( Phone: 833-204-2606. Email: [email protected])
I emailed them asking some questions about the comparable aftermarket version.
Here is their response:

Good morning,
OEM part number 82215227AB is comparable to the BAKFlip G2. These two covers are similar in functionality as well as their semi-gloss finish, however, differ in their warranty as well as their tailgate function. The OEM cover does carry a 3 year, 36,000M/60,000KM warranty (whichever comes first) and does allow you to open and close your tailgate freely, whereas the BAKFlip G2 carries a 2 year warranty and does not allow you to open and close your tailgate freely (you will need to close your tailgate with the cover up and then close the cover on top to be sure no damage is caused to the tailgate seal).
If you have any additional questions, please let me know.
Taylor Maisevich
OE Customer Care
Truck Hero, Inc
Toll Free: 833-204-2606
Email: [email protected]
Just an FYI...
I've been calling local dealerships to see if they have any of these (Part#82215227AB) in stock and if they had any deals going. None of the dealerships I called showed them in stock, in fact, they all said that part is on an Engineering Hold.
I talked to a FCA support rep at Truck-Hero and she said that they just started re-building them today actually but didn't know when they would be available again at dealerships. She said the issue was with the adhesive on the seals.
So for the people who have already bought and installed these, you might keep an eye out for any issues with the seals which will be covered under warranty.

justintx

Reaction score
I didn't want to wait on the Mopar version to be released from the engineering hold, so I went ahead and bought an MX4.
As some others have mentioned on this and other forums, Morrie at Tonneau Factory Outlet hooked me up with a great deal!
He's a super nice guy and knowledgeable about the products he sells!

habfan

Reaction score
I picked up a Tyger trifold for about 240 and its doing well currently. We wont get rain until september so heres to hoping but after washing the truck and spraying down the cover I didnt notice any leaks.
How's this working for you now? I noticed on some reviews that it's got plastic handles to lock it down and release it, just wondering if they would be sturdy / thick enough to be using them in the winter , especially in places where we get -20 to -30C

probe

Reaction score
I put the Undercover Ultra Flex on my 19 Limited and it is very nice. Can open and close the tailgate without opening the cover. Also has the bed rug material on the underside of the cover and when fully open doesn’t set agianst the back glass. Has a 5 year warranty also.

Do you have the bed utility group? I was told by Undercover that the utility rails will have to be removed for the cover to fit.

alow

Reaction score
How's this working for you now? I noticed on some reviews that it's got plastic handles to lock it down and release it, just wondering if they would be sturdy / thick enough to be using them in the winter , especially in places where we get -20 to -30C
Our winters are pretty mild but I do go see family in ND so I'll have to report back. So far so good though. The handles are plastic but they are pretty thick. It seems to hold moisture out well from washings. Sadly we arent in the kind of weather at the moment that will let me truly test it but I'll try to remember to update it around Nov.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Do anyone know how good the tonneau cover is from the factory and how it operates? Also when I ordered my truck it said tri fold tonneau cover, do anybody has pictures of the cover from the factory? If so please show his it folds. The tonneau covers I have seen looks like the roll up type and not tri fold.

Mine seems pretty well built. Super easy to fold (it has a latch on each side), and two of the same closer to the cab if you want to remove it. I can spray it With water directly and it leaks, but just a dribble. Quite happy with it actually.

IMG_4339.jpg IMG_4340.jpg IMG_4338.jpg IMG_4337.jpg

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
Do you have the bed utility group? I was told by Undercover that the utility rails will have to be removed for the cover to fit.

No I don’t. I had Line X dealer install mine. I attached a pic of it installed.

Attachments

• 539EFC9C-21A3-4074-B5B2-49DF48AE9B16.jpeg
    539EFC9C-21A3-4074-B5B2-49DF48AE9B16.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 298

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
Gorgeous truck.
But... did the dealer install that license plate frame on your gorgeous new truck? Pet peeve of mine ;O

Haha. Yea they did. I am going to change it just haven’t had time. Was looking at the stainless one from weathertech. I did have them remove the bright yellow dealer tag on the tailgate before I drove it home.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the OEM soft trifold. Wanted something on the truck at delivery since I have no time to take it in for an install.

In a word, Meh. 5 out 10.

It's hardware is cheap'ish and fits loose. I'll either try modding it or trading/selling it for the roll up Truxedo version I loved on my 16'.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Lol. In Northern Virginia and a lot of other areas all new construction homes are pretty cookie cutter. Developers typically give you 6-10 different floor plans to choose from and most have a similar style. You just choose what options you want then.

A LOT of the houses people built here are near identical to the model home so they look similar. I guess it was too hard to make your own choices for some people. My wife and I built our house last year and in the ENTIRE development we are one of only two brick houses. It’s kinda crazy. I will say though that the street across from us for lord knows what reason they all picked the SAME grey color scheme for the exterior of their houses. That particular row across from us does look way too similar. I’m surprised the builder allowed it because they typically want to alter the color so no two are the same side by side.

When I go to sell though I know I won’t have a problem as we built this one specd our right.
I don't drink but if I did, I could not live in your hood. How do you find the right door when you're sloshed and they all look similar?

probe

Reaction score
Another option is the Undercover Ultra Flex which I had installed on my truck.

Any issues with the Ultra Flex install since you have the bed utility group? I want the ultra flex but not sure if the bed utility group rails are going to be an issue? I see the ultra flex online for $950, how much did you get it for.

jkratze1

Reaction score
Any issues with the Ultra Flex install since you have the bed utility group? I want the ultra flex but not sure if the bed utility group rails are going to be an issue? I see the ultra flex online for $950, how much did you get it for.

$950 is about right. I paid to have mine installed. I have the bed utility rails and the Ultra Flex works without problems with the rails. No problems so far and no water leaks.

Attachments

• 20180813_194139.jpg
    20180813_194139.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had the Bakflip Revolver X4 put on the other day and it was complete junk. The seals looked aweful and the side rails would not sit in the correct position to allow the bed to close. After an hour of the guys messing with it I told them to rip the thing out. They then said the last couple they installed have given them trouble. I am going with the Truxedo Sentry now, getting it put on tonight. Hopefully this goes way better

This is good to know. The place I called today recommended the Revolver over the MX4 due to it not blocking your window (per them.) But if it is junk I don't want it.

@ryelinek and others with the MX4, is the vision completely blocked when folded up out the back? Does it otherwise allow you to maximize space? With ramboxe and 5.7 bed, I don't want to lose anymore space.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is good to know. The place I called today recommended the Revolver over the MX4 due to it not blocking your window (per them.) But if it is junk I don't want it.

@ryelinek and others with the MX4, is the vision completely blocked when folded up out the back? Does it otherwise allow you to maximize space? With ramboxe and 5.7 bed, I don't want to lose anymore space.

I have the MX4 on the 5'7" regular bed. I just took some pics to show you what it will look like. You do lose all visibility out the rear window. So far I love the cover.

20180817_151532.jpg 20180817_151518.jpg 20180817_151512.jpg 20180817_151447.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread