5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Big Horn Intermittent backup camera issue

Wa0852

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

My ram has had ongoing intermittent backup camera failures that the dealer can’t resolve. I’ve had a new camera installed and console screen as well. Last visit, they said to maybe replace this cable: 68416840AA. I can’t figure out where this cable physically is in the truck so I can swap it out in hopes that will work. Only part diagram description says rear body but where’re should I look?… anyone know or can help? Tired of dealing with the dealer…

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not enough info about your truck. For one, do you have trailer backing on your truck? There is a known problem on trucks with this option, that a fix was just resolved. If so, there is a software update, that I believe is a recall, and is repaired free, even out of warranty. If not your situation, more info about your particular build, can get better results.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not enough info about your truck. For one, do you have trailer backing on your truck? There is a known problem on trucks with this option, that a fix was just resolved. If so, there is a software update, that I believe is a recall, and is repaired free, even out of warranty. If not your situation, more info about your particular build, can get better results.
It is a 2019.

Wa0852

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn hemi V8 4x4 crew cab… rear camera works fine then intermittently will get glitchy & then go to a black screen stating “camera unavailable” for a few seconds then the camera view comes back online. dealer said software is all up to date. Stating nx option is to try the cable replacement I listed but I was hoping someone knew where that part is located on the vehicle so I can access it.. I’m trying to not pay for hours of labor for them to “explore” as they told me..

6of36

Reaction score
This is the picture of that part number. Says camera cable. I would assume that small, and being listed as camera cable, that it's inside the tailgate. I would inspect the cable going into the tailgate. May have corrosion at connector. It could have a crack from flexing. More likely than the cable inside tailgate.

Attachments

• 1680920142587.png
    1680920142587.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 3

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But what options? Like I said if it has trailer backing, there is a specific problem. If not, other options could be a cause.
Trailer back up wasn't available in 2019 so that specific problem wouldn't apply.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would start by checking all inline connectors for the camera and look closely for water intrusion, there are a few star cases relating to this. I would really look closely to the tailgate connection, where they leave the body and go to tailgate.

Does this happen frequently enough that the dealer can reproduce the concern? The dealer should have test cables they can install in the back of the radio, and at different connections to the camera to test wiring. Attached a recent updated star case.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_073552_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_073552_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230408_073556_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_073556_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230408_073605_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_073605_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 9

Wa0852

Reaction score
Thanks this is all really helpful especially the above images and star case. The dealer could see the issue when their tech test drove it but it didn’t throw any codes back in the garage so they said they couldn’t troubleshoot further without spending several hours to explore. It doesn’t seem that labor intensive to check these connections though so I may get handy today. I did have water intrusion from the 3rd brake light but it looks like all these connections aren’t located there… I’m suspicious about the rear tailgate too but at the same time a wiggle test didn’t disrupt the screen so idk. I’ll follow through the connections and let u guys know if I ever figure it out. Any other help or tips or diagrams is greatly appreciated

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

My ram has had ongoing intermittent backup camera failures that the dealer can’t resolve. I’ve had a new camera installed and console screen as well. Last visit, they said to maybe replace this cable: 68416840AA. I can’t figure out where this cable physically is in the truck so I can swap it out in hopes that will work. Only part diagram description says rear body but where’re should I look?… anyone know or can help? Tired of dealing with the dealer…
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

6of36

Reaction score
Trailer back up wasn't available in 2019 so that specific problem wouldn't apply.
I wasn't sure, that's why I said to list the options, and figured someone who knew would chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online