5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" level, 35x12.50 tires rub

kliffy77

Reaction score
Do you mean with stock wheels or even with a spacer? I was planning to measure my wheels and lugs in order to get the smallest spacer possible. I think my wheels might have pockets in between the lug locations to help with using thinner spacers so the stud can pass the mounting surface of the wheel slightly.
stock wheel, any wheel with or without a spacer 12/5 tire will rub.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you mean with stock wheels or even with a spacer? I was planning to measure my wheels and lugs in order to get the smallest spacer possible. I think my wheels might have pockets in between the lug locations to help with using thinner spacers so the stud can pass the mounting surface of the wheel slightly.
The more negative offset you have on a wheel (bigger spacer basically), the worse it's going to rub on the fenders. Bigger spacer = wider turn arc of the wheel.

Reactions: BJG

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
You should be able to fit 35x12.5x17 with 2" level front but but check your caster values to see where they fall if you're using factory UCA's. I run Zone UCA's and i'm running higher than stock caster to move my wheels forward and away from the back of the front fender wells.
I've found 315/70/17 will rub the back of the front fender wells when turning with 2" front lift and factory caster. (+3* +3.5*), and 17x9 -12offset wheels, but if you go +4.5 +5.0* caster the gap between the tire and the seam open up nicely as + caster is literally pushing your wheels forward and away from that spot. Good to have an aftermarket UCA that offset the BJ so you can have both high caster and camber in the proper specs. (i run my camber at -0.2* to +0*)
prob not the best pic here but i didn't have any rubbing turning with with Rancho QL struts, which is basically setting me up for 2" front. These are 17x9 -12 offset wheels
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Later on i went Kings, prerunnner style bumper and BFG KO2's in 37x12.5x17, setup for 2.5" then cranked the CO's couple of turns up for 2.75" lift. Ran those 37's hard for 12-13k miles in the dirt, i had cosmetic rub, didn't cut any metal

This is how much i rubbed offroading on 37's with a small front lift

as you can see it's just cosmetic rub and i didn't have to remove the front fender wells at all. (i cut a portion in the front because to match the lines of the bumper)

For the rear i removed the fender wells, and i'm also running 1" rear bumpstops

2020-01-04_03-39-10 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

i can turn even if the wheel is tucked in because of a rut

no rubbing runnning washes either, it helps Kings are extended travel so they're bumped 1" higher than stock in the front. Pardon i don't have a video going faster, i ran this wash multiple times that day at 60-65mph, but this is the only video that took. (my kid was filming for me :))

Back to 315's cause even with 3.92's the 6 speed trans do suck with 37's :) So currently running Patagonia MT's in 315/70/17 , so i'm back to having almost 2 fingers of space at the back of that seam :)
by RAM RSM, on Flickr

And nothing rubs at all

2020-08-08_06-36-28 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Ram1500rsm pretty sure the suspensions and fenders are different between 4th and 5th gens. Not to mention that I don't think any 17's will fit on the 5th gens although that's not that important. A 17x9 +0 offset wheel will perform the same as an 18x9 +0 in terms of rubbing with the same tire.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
@Ram1500rsm pretty sure the suspensions and fenders are different between 4th and 5th gens. Not to mention that I don't think any 17's will fit on the 5th gens although that's not that important. A 17x9 +0 offset wheel will perform the same as an 18x9 +0 in terms of rubbing with the same tire.
My bad, i keep thinking not a lot had changed down there other than wheel choices but the more i read about the new gen truck the more i realize most of that stuff have changed.

BJG

Reaction score
You should be able to fit 35x12.5x17 with 2" level front but but check your caster values to see where they fall if you're using factory UCA's. I run Zone UCA's and i'm running higher than stock caster to move my wheels forward and away from the back of the front fender wells.
I've found 315/70/17 will rub the back of the front fender wells when turning with 2" front lift and factory caster. (+3* +3.5*), and 17x9 -12offset wheels, but if you go +4.5 +5.0* caster the gap between the tire and the seam open up nicely as + caster is literally pushing your wheels forward and away from that spot. Good to have an aftermarket UCA that offset the BJ so you can have both high caster and camber in the proper specs. (i run my camber at -0.2* to +0*)
prob not the best pic here but i didn't have any rubbing turning with with Rancho QL struts, which is basically setting me up for 2" front. These are 17x9 -12 offset wheels

Later on i went Kings, prerunnner style bumper and BFG KO2's in 37x12.5x17, setup for 2.5" then cranked the CO's couple of turns up for 2.75" lift. Ran those 37's hard for 12-13k miles in the dirt, i had cosmetic rub, didn't cut any metal

This is how much i rubbed offroading on 37's with a small front lift

as you can see it's just cosmetic rub and i didn't have to remove the front fender wells at all. (i cut a portion in the front because to match the lines of the bumper)

For the rear i removed the fender wells, and i'm also running 1" rear bumpstops

2020-01-04_03-39-10 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

i can turn even if the wheel is tucked in because of a rut

no rubbing runnning washes either, it helps Kings are extended travel so they're bumped 1" higher than stock in the front. Pardon i don't have a video going faster, i ran this wash multiple times that day at 60-65mph, but this is the only video that took. (my kid was filming for me :))

Back to 315's cause even with 3.92's the 6 speed trans do suck with 37's :) So currently running Patagonia MT's in 315/70/17 , so i'm back to having almost 2 fingers of space at the back of that seam :)
by RAM RSM, on Flickr

And nothing rubs at all

2020-08-08_06-36-28 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

That's an amazing amount of detail. Thank You! I'm jealous of the 37's! One day when I don't care about parking in the garage I want to run 37, maybe on a 6" coil over suspension.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, just installed the Mopar beadlock 18 inch wheels and I'm running 295/70/18 tires with no rub.
I have the offroad package with no lift. TIres work out to 34.3" and so far so good.

I'll add a level to the front end to get the right look. Still undecided on the best way to level the offroad package.
I was thinking about using the Zone Offroad kit that includes their control arms.

Pictures??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howsitgoineh

Reaction score
I ordered Cooper’s STT Pro 295/70R18 they are 34.49 exactly i hope they don’t rub will do the install next week on Fuel’s D579 Vector 18x9 Wheels along with the Mopar 2 inch lift on my 19 Rebel, Wish me luck!
Hey there buddy how'd it work out for you?
If I can't get a 35x12.5 to work then you've got the same Size I am thinking about

kliffy77

Reaction score
?Hey there buddy how'd it work out for you? I can't get a 35x12.5 to work then you've got the same Size I am thinking about,

Hello howsitoineh my tires were 35’s 12 wide no rubbing at all, That said all 35 tires are 34.5 almost keep in mind that 35’s 12.5 wide will rub even if you have enough clearence, BFG has tire that 35 but 12.2 wide with proper lift & right wheel it won’t rub, If you want the 12.5 wide you have to do the trimming and remove the plastic flap which I refused to do, I have sold my Rebel and moved to TRX now best of luck my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread