5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2” Rough Country front leveling strut kit

Dustytrader

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying these. I have a 19 Rebel w/o air, so I would only gain 1 inch but would help level the rake a little and give the front a bit more stance. Still no reviews from anybody?? My only concern is the ride, but read some reviews from the 12-18 ram that have installed them and said they ride better than stock. If I knew of some 1" spacers kits where I didn't have to decompressed the struts (offset extended bolts) I would look at those too. Any suggestions?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t looked, but I would imagine someone has a 1” strut spacer for the older trucks that would fit

Motofab has a 1/2” but doesn’t seem to have a 1”

You could probably stack these? Or take them somewhere, have them welded on each side in a 1” strip or so, toss them on? I’d call them and ask if they can make a 1” kit as well, seems like it wouldn’t be too hard.

Last edited:

fastlanez

Reaction score
Ok, so just got back from the dealer as the Ready Lift pucks they used on my new truck ride like crap and I have a nice clunking sound that they claim they fixed.

I am thinking since the puck was not seated properly on my passenger side to start with, it f'd up the stock strut.

Anyway, I am thinking a set of RCs are going to be better than these bouncy pucks and there is no telling how long it will be before 5100s are available.

This has been so frustrating...have a brand new truck I think is gorgeous, but hate driving it cuz the ride is so bad.

OMG!!! I am having the EXACT same issue after having my 2” level installed. I can’t stand the ride. I’m bouncing around like a low rider and getting a horrible and embarrassing clunking noise from it. This makes no sense. Had a 2” level kit on my F150 and never a problem. I have to believe at this point it is an installation issue from the shop I used here in Michigan. I am pissed! The F150 was leveled at a shop back home in Massachusetts.

JHRebel

Reaction score
I know this is more of a RC thread, but I recently had the ready lift 2inch level with the UCAs installed and I’m still riding like a Cadillac, looks incredible as well.

Crozz13

Reaction score
I've mentioned this in a different thread but ... I had the RC 2" level coil spacers installed on my ORP Laramie. I hated the ride and the noises. I blamed it on the ORP coils so i swapped out to the non-ORP coils. Same issues with the ride and noises. I would think installing the spacers incorrectly twice would be rare. But maybe not.

I have read a ton reviews on the RC 2" level. The reviews are almost 50/50 on results regarding ride quality and the noises.. It's all very confusing.

I noticed that my coil spacers are a plastic composite and some of the earlier kits were metal. A round top and bottom plate sandwiching two steel angles pieces. I wonder if the plastic ones are making the noise? This doesn't address the ride quality though.

While looking at the various RC kits. The 3.5" level/lift lit comes with coil spacers, a strut top hat spacer and the new UCA's. I wonder if i used my ORP coils, the top hat spacer and the UCA's if this would remove the noises and improve my ride quality???

fastlanez

Reaction score
I’m taking mine back to the shop tomorrow and let them figure out what they did wrong. If they can’t, I’ll have them uninstall and go back to factory until I can get a clear idea of what’s what. Frustrating!

Beauloafer

Reaction score
Installed the RC struts yesterday. 2" exactly now sitting 1/4 " taller in the rear. Struts looked well made. Ride may be a little firmer if at all. I am happy with the outcome. 2019 quad cab 4x4.

OC.13

Reaction score
Like others have mentioned I'd be skeptical to use these . At that price point a spacer type leveling kit would be a better option. There's a reason why fox, Icons and king shocks run substantialy more then RC products. Not dogging on anyone that uses them, just IMO you get what you pay for . I would not expect much out of these. Hopefully a quality coilovers will be available for our trucks soon.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Installed the RC struts yesterday. 2" exactly now sitting 1/4 " taller in the rear. Struts looked well made. Ride may be a little firmer if at all. I am happy with the outcome. 2019 quad cab 4x4.

post up some pics!

Beauloafer

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the RC struts. Any questions about them, fire away.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 300

Beauloafer

Reaction score
How is the ride?

I like the ride. It is slightly stiffer than stock, not by much. Camparing the strut to the stock one the lift is accomplished by about 50% spring compression and 50%ish shock length. similar to the Traxda 604045 leveling kit. Passengers reported a smooth ride and could not tell the difference compared to stock. ( I would have used the Traxda kit , but I think the quality if the RC strut is better than OEM , looking at it from the outside anyway and was an easy install. Time will tell. )

Beauloafer

Reaction score
How'd the install go? Any issues? Looks great and glad you are pleased with the upgrade.

How I did the install:
Remove tire, brake caliper and bracket, steering link, axle nut, lower strut bolt, UCA bolts, nuts on top of strut.
Swing UCA and steering knuckle out of the way. Pry down on LCA ( does not take much ) remove strut.
Insert new strut top end first start the nuts on the studs. Pry down on LCA and use another smaller pry bar
( if necessary ) to "saddle" the lower mount. Jacked up the LCA a couple of inches to attach the UCA.
I left the upper ball joint and sway bar link attached. I found torquing everything down once the tires where
on and truck on the ground was the least enjoyable part.

Please do not consider this a professionl guide on how to do this job it is only explanation of how I did it.

Dustytrader

Reaction score
How I did the install:
Remove tire, brake caliper and bracket, steering link, axle nut, lower strut bolt, UCA bolts, nuts on top of strut.
Swing UCA and steering knuckle out of the way. Pry down on LCA ( does not take much ) remove strut.
Insert new strut top end first start the nuts on the studs. Pry down on LCA and use another smaller pry bar
( if necessary ) to "saddle" the lower mount. Jacked up the LCA a couple of inches to attach the UCA.
I left the upper ball joint and sway bar link attached. I found torquing everything down once the tires where
on and truck on the ground was the least enjoyable part.

Please do not consider this a professionl guide on how to do this job it is only explanation of how I did it.

Thanks for the information. Did you have to get the truck aligned afterwards? If so, was there substantial adjustments that needed to be made? Thanks again, been looking for someone that has done this. I would only be gaining 1 inch since I have the Rebel, but one inch is one inch.

Beauloafer

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Did you have to get the truck aligned afterwards? If so, was there substantial adjustments that needed to be made? Thanks again, been looking for someone that has done this. I would only be gaining 1 inch since I have the Rebel, but one inch is one inch.

Having the alignment done tomorrow. Something to consider... If you are looking to gain 1" the top of strut spacer out of the Traxda kit would you give you very close to that for less $$ or a spacer similar to it. I am going to guess the RC struts provide the same ride quality as the rebel struts. Also in you case I would also think the change in alignment would be minimal.

Had truck aligned the camber was off just a small amount. $100 from the dealerships.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread