5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2” or 2.5” level. Please help me decide!

Which size front level without changing the UCA’s?

• 2”

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • 2.5”

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Non ORP bighorn 4x4. Will be ordering my motofab top hat spacers soon. I can’t decide between 2” and 2.5”. I’ve read the many many threads here. My measurements are just over 2” difference between front and rear. I think the 2.5 would look better but, will the extra .5” be too much for the stock UCA angle?

Looking for opinions and testimonials. Thanks!

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I would do 2" personally, but im shooting for .5" rake. I would rather have a little rake than squatted even if barely noticeable.
Plus the bonus of not worrying about your UCA's

Black19

Reaction score
I just ordered the RC 2” leveling struts and 275/60/20 on stock night edition wheels.
2019 Bighorn night edition all black.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2.5" on my Big Horn (non-orp). I added a spacer to the rear as well because I wanted a little rake too (although I probably could have gotten away with a 1" spacer instead of 1.5"). If you don't plan on adding to the rear I'd stick with 2".
I ordered UCA's just to be safe, but it doesn't look like the stock set have any issues. I've attached 2 photos of the ball joint angles before/after (technically the same photo, but one is zoomed in).

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_1128522.jpg
    IMG_20211104_1128522.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20211104_1129125.jpg
    IMG_20211104_1129125.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 346
  • lift balljoint compare zoomed.jpg
    lift balljoint compare zoomed.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 303
  • lift balljoint compare.jpg
    lift balljoint compare.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 346

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
2.5" on my Big Horn (non-orp). I added a spacer to the rear as well because I wanted a little rake too (although I probably could have gotten away with a 1" spacer instead of 1.5"). If you don't plan on adding to the rear I'd stick with 2".
I ordered UCA's just to be safe, but it doesn't look like the stock set have any issues. I've attached 2 photos of the ball joint angles before/after (technically the same photo, but one is zoomed in).
Thanks guys. So you pic after 2.5” is before the UCAs we’re changed?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct it's after the lift with stock UCA's. When I did the install I was planning on swapping the UCA at the same time, but I couldn't get the ball joint to release. So instead of beating on it, and/or destroying a perfectly good ball joint with a pickle fork I left the stock ones on. I got a lifetime alignment so I figure I'll replace them when they start to ware.

Even if you swap them though, it should look the same. I bought the OEM UCA's sold with the Mopar 2" lift and as I understand it the only difference is a higher angle ball joint with all other dimensions being the same. Looking at mine, I don't think the angle has really changed an appreciable amount so I doubt they're necessary unless you're doing serious and/or regular off roading. I haven't put them on yet and at this point don't know if I will ever need to so I may have $125 of parts sitting in my garage that won't get used. Oops.

Last edited:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would go with 2". It will settle down to 1-3/4" but it looks good and leaves a little rake for when or if you tow. I think if I would have went 2.5" it would have been nose high and I would have had to add a 1/2" or 1" spacer in the rear. Also it depends on the tire size you are going with. If you do 2.5" front and 1" rear a 33" tire might still look small. Just my opinion though.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
No way 2.5” …. Our wagons look silly when they are nose high … 1.5” just to level …. 2” with 1/2” rear spacer …. 2.5” with UCA’s and 1” rear spacer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know of a 1/2" spacer for the 5thgen?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would go with 2". It will settle down to 1-3/4" but it looks good and leaves a little rake for when or if you tow. I think if I would have went 2.5" it would have been nose high and I would have had to add a 1/2" or 1" spacer in the rear. Also it depends on the tire size you are going with. If you do 2.5" front and 1" rear a 33" tire might still look small. Just my opinion though.
See my photos above for 33's with a 2.5" kit.
Could they be bigger? Sure, but I don't think they look disproportionately small either.

As for the kit settling. In my experience none have settled to less than the designated height, but that may depend on brand and if you're using top hat or pre load spacers. This has been my experience based on 4 of the Rams I've had ('07, '12, '14 and '21) and 2 of my brother's F150's (not sure the years on those), all with top hat spacers of various brands.

I agree that 2.5" without a rear spacer will be nose high. That probably depending on the truck but mine had 2.25" of rake when it was at stock configuration, so no rear spacer would have left me 1/4" nose high.

With the 2.5/1.5 kit, I've got 1.25" of rake. If I had gotten the 1" set for the rear instead of the 1.5" set I would have 3/4" of rake now which is about perfect. Doing it all again, I'd do that. Actually, since I have the lifetime alignment, I'm considering swapping the rear spacers but that'll probably be a project for spring since I don't like working on cold trucks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct it's after the lift with stock UCA's. When I did the install I was planning on swapping the UCA at the same time, but I couldn't get the ball joint to release. So instead of beating on it, and/or destroying a perfectly good ball joint with a pickle fork I left the stock ones on. I got a lifetime alignment so I figure I'll replace them when they start to ware.

Even if you swap them though, it should look the same. I bought the OEM UCA's sold with the Mopar 2" lift and as I understand it the only difference is a higher angle ball joint with all other dimensions being the same. Looking at mine, I don't think the angle has really changed an appreciable amount so I doubt they're necessary unless you're doing serious and/or regular off roading. I haven't put them on yet and at this point don't know if I will ever need to so I may have $125 of parts sitting in my garage that won't get used. Oops.
How did you install a lift in the front without separating the ball joints?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2" if you don't have the ORP. As mentioned if you go 2.5" you will need to lift rear some to avoid being nose high.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you install a lift in the front without separating the ball joints?
Adaptability :D
Seriously though, I just unbolted the UCA from the frame and swung it out of the way still attached to the knuckle. The attached image is not from my truck (it's random image I found on a search for "Ram front suspension") but it shows you where to find the 2 bolts you need to remove (I marked them with red).
You'll still need to release the one on the tie rod but that released just fine.

Attachments

• uca bolts.jpg
    uca bolts.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 139

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Adaptability :D
Seriously though, I just unbolted the UCA from the frame and swung it out of the way still attached to the knuckle. The attached image is not from my truck (it's random image I found on a search for "Ram front suspension") but it shows you where to find the 2 bolts you need to remove (I marked them with red).
You'll still need to release the one on the tie rod but that released just fine.
Whatever works!

Brunzca

Reaction score
I'm having mine installed today - Motofab 3" front, 1.5" rear, with RC UCAs, and putting on 34" Nitto Recons. I measured a 2.5" rake with stock rims/tires.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you should have 1" of rake after the install, that sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Also looking forward to seeing those Recons. I just looked them up and they look nice.

german88

Reaction score
No way 2.5” …. Our wagons look silly when they are nose high … 1.5” just to level …. 2” with 1/2” rear spacer …. 2.5” with UCA’s and 1” rear spacer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with this^^^^ I went with 1.5" and there's 1/2" rake left and no need for UCA's.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agree with this^^^^ I went with 1.5" and there's 1/2" rake left and no need for UCA's.
What's odd is I went with the ReadyLift 2" kit, and I have almost 1" of rake. Right after install, I had 1/2" of rake. I suppose each truck is a little different, so you may need to measure before deciding how much lift you need/want.

Users who are viewing this thread