5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.2 MPG after first 1,000 miles

Blee2221

Reaction score
Rebel owner. Only getting about 13-13.5mpg using 89 octane with about 1800 miles on it. Drive mostly highway and baby the gas as much as I can driving about 70-75mph to and from work. Haven’t gotten anything better than 13.5. I find that my fuel economy and range fluctuate like crazy. Wish I could get 2-3mpg more but it’s a truck. I expected this when purchasing.

drsubie

Reaction score
Another MPG thread, another chance for me to relive my disappointment LOL...

I'm in a '19 Limited 3.92 w/ 22" rims and OEM tires. 90% city driving, 10% hwy/fwy. Drive smoothly, no hard stops or starts, no deactivating the MDS. Closing in on 7000 miles, using premium fuel.

I'm at ~12 MPG roughly.

I've recently OVERINFLATED my tires by a bit--door sticker recommends 35 psi, I took it up to 38 psi. Seems to have made an improvement, I'm now seeing ~.3 MPG more. Small sample size, only ~200 miles so far.

I'll also be using regular fuel to see what that does. And I just purchased a aFE CAI to hopefully eek out ~1 or 2 MPH more...

Tommy R

Reaction score
Yes, it's a truck. No, I absolutely did not expect Chrysler to be this wrong or misleading with the economy numbers. This is the same (bad) mileage my lifted/locked '96 Bronco got with a 351 and 35" MTs. It's on par with what my Jeep with 37s gets and I flog that thing around town because it's so underpowered. I know those trucks are lighter than the Ram, but I find it very disappointing that FCA couldn't come up with some technological advancements to address this. A modified '96 Bronco and '19 Ram should be at opposite sides of the 4x4 spectrum when discussing fuel economy. It's disappointing that they're not.

ClancyO

Reaction score

50/50 urban/highway. And highway means 75-80. I haven’t babied it, but I haven’t abused it yet either (still breaking it in!). Last calculated by hand was 14.3, it claimed 14.7. 89 octane, winter formula 10% ethanol crap

klail

Reaction score
About 15 mpg with mine. 50/50 city hwy. started using 89 about 500 miles ago and saw no difference so I will go back to 87

SacRebel

Reaction score
It's important to note I have a Rebel. I don't think the poor mileage is quite as bad on other trims.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm very disappointed at the gas mileage I am getting on my new truck. This is with me driving fairly conservatively with about 75% being city driving without hauling or towing anything. This is a far cry from the 22/19/17 Ram states for this vehicle.

I'd like to see others post their first 1,000 miles and see how it compares.

View attachment 15342
Sad to say i have the exact setup with the same issue 12.2 mpg

Stang218

Reaction score
I've been reading through this and noticed almost all Hemi V8 equipped.

What are folks experiencing on the Pentastar trucks?

cueball23

Reaction score
Same here.

-2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab
-20” rims, 3.21 Gear, 4x4, no etorque
-50/50 highway/city
-Fairly flat roads
-Average speed 70ish
-Summer months 15.5 mpg
-Winter months 13.5 mpg (no 4x4 active)
-Long highway trips 18 mpg

During the winter months I will remote start at least twice a day. Never durning summer, and very rarely use A/C.

bigrodent

Reaction score
Sad to say i have the exact setup with the same issue 12.2 mpg

I have the 3.92 Axle with 5.7HEMI and E-Torque on a Laramie 4x4 with the ORG. First 300 miles of mostly suburban driving I got about 12.5MPG. I use a light foot, keep AutoStart on all the time, no towing or heavy stuff. I took a 700 mile trip that was 90% highway speeds and my total for 1000 miles brought my MPG up to a whopping 14.1. I am curious to know how the MPG performance is for those with the 5.7 and no e-torque.

In city driving I find that as I coast the system "grabs" my truck like it is in a massive downshift and others said this was regenerative braking. I then have to hit the gas again to get to a reasonable speed. I cannot imagine that this over-braking and then gas application is helping the MPGs at all. Coasting should not qualify as a need for braking. They say that there are updates to the software for etorque I can only hope that it applies to the braking as well. Very annoying.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hit 10,500 miles and with the 3.92, 4x4, 22" wheels, 5.7 eTorque, I am getting about 16.6 overall. While towing I am getting about 8.5.

Barqs

Reaction score
I have about 2300 miles on the odometer and have been averaging 16.3 MPG with about 70% city driving and occasional remote start mornings. I got about the same average with my '10 Laramie 2-wheel drive doing the same trek back and forth to work. I was hoping for an improvement with the 8-speed tranny, but suppose the gains with the 8-speed are lost in the extra drag of the 4x4 transfer case. I also suspect the mileage will improve a tick once I hit 3k-5k miles and swap the oil for full synthetic.

After reading the posts above, I feel like one of the lucky ones.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am at 700 miles. 58 mile commute with 50% stop and go traffic. Adaptive cruise usually set at 77 mph and about four or five times on the way to or from work
I will hit that speed. I am averaging 18.8 mpg so far on the commute. If I could hit a long straight flat stretch of highway with low headwind I believe it wants to get around 24mpg at 74 mph. Traffic lately has been horrible. diverted off freeway twice in the last two days for fatal accidents. Still hitting 18.8 roughly. City driving mpg is much less. Could not guess at it, but my rolling average drops when I get off the freeway. 5.7 e-torque and 3.21 posi with 22" wheels

Very nice, I figured if I had the 3.21 instead of the 3.92 I would be getting 18+ overall. I am happy with 16.6 MPG as I have lots of things to tow and that is a significant improvement over my previous Ram without the e-Torque that was about 14.2 MPG so adding the 5th Gen Aerodynamics and the e-Torque was a 15% fuel economy increase. :)

TVANVA

Reaction score
Just drove my Hemi, 3.92, 18" wheels Big Horn home from the dealer (3 1/2 hours). Started with 7 miles on the odometer. Mix of DC stop and go, country, and mountain driving.

Average climbed and finished at 17.4 MPG, so quite surprised considering other stories. I do drive with a fairly light foot, but also drive very smoothly......or pure luck......time will tell.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
It’s starting to get warmer here in Iowa but I haven’t been able to drive my truck for two weeks as it’s getting fixed after hitting a deer. I’m sitting at 14.5 mpg with it since December though so I am hoping to see that number go up as the fuel changes and temp increases. My drive is 90% highway and a decent stretch of that is 60 mph.

Overall, I am disappointed with the MPG of this truck. One of the reasons I bought a new truck was because I knew it would get better MPG than my 2500 Suburban did. Kind of wish I would have looked more closely at the F150 and Silverado. I crossed them off because the styling of the Ram is way better.

I’m anxious to see how it does when I start towing our boat though. I will be pretty disappointed if it can’t get any better MPG than my 8.1L Suburban did. It would knock down 8.5 MPG towing the boat at 75 mph. It had 4.10’s and would be at 2500 rpm at that speed in OD and with the BBC low end torque it rarely shifted out of OD. I know the Ram will shift a lot more towing so I expect the MPG to be about the same. We will see soon enough.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Another thing to look at is hours of engine run and miles. With 1124 miles and 60 hours of engine run time I'm "averaging" just over 18.3 miles per operating hour with 10.5 MPG. All winter driving, short half mile driving with the exception of 2 trips of 120 miles (where I averaged over 18). My 2012 Suburban by contrast has 39,750 miles with 920 hours (over 43 miles per hour average) and a 17.2 MPG average since I bought it. I don't expect to get the sticker mileage with most of my driving just several City blocks with a 25 MPH speed limit. The 2016 Silverado I replaced with the RAM was in the high 9 MPG range under similar driving driving conditions - so no complaints. I'll expect something around 22+ when I make a 3400 mile trip in late April. A lot smoother and quiter than the Suburban or Silverado.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Food for thought, it's been mentioned before that the factory oil and filter play a big part in mileage at first. I can add to that theory as after my first oil & filter change and removing the charcoal tree hugger tampon from the airbox... I've gone from an overall average of 10-12mpg up to 14-16mpg. That's an overall avg, haven't reset since bringing the Rebel home.

It's not 100% scientific proof... but noticeable and undeniable.

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
Mine is currently in the 18s I think was at 18.3 according to the truck when I pulled into work this morning with about 800 miles. For the rear end I have the 3.21 with the non e-torque 5.7 motor. My driving is about 60/40 highway/town. I'm fairly happy with that though I drove a 2016 Grand Cherokee V6 that I gave to my wife that was averaging 18.7 when i gave it to her so it was a relief to see I could pull close to the same number in the Ram.

Take it easy
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread