5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.2 MPG after first 1,000 miles

raydi07

Reaction score
Only had 511 on my Longhorn Laramie since the end of Nov. Averaging 15.7 around the area of my home . Drove 840 miles to Texas to visit my Daughter. At 77 MPH showed 17.7 on the trip indicator. Next Fill i drove at 71 and trip indicator showed 19.1. Last fill before i arrived was running 75MPH in Texas and trip indicator showed 18.2.
Finally went over the 1K mark. Hopefully it should get better. 5.7 E-Torque, 22" tires and 3.92 rear.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too hot for Feb! It was almost 70 yesterday during that drive and fairly humid. I'm running the ORG Falken's and they've been aired up to 46F/36R for 40 degrees so definitely on the high side of pressure for that run. We're back to the 40's on Friday so I'm leaving them there.

Thanks. My guess is mine will get better when it's not so cold and crappy. Seems warmer climates are showing better mpg. I'm also running falkens and have 2" lift on a crew. Can't see much difference in our trucks otherwise.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I would turn on the Eco light so you can see when your truck goes into Eco mode. Also if you remote start your truck it sucks gas so that definitely kills your mpg. I noticed me Eco light coming in more frequently after about 1200 miles. It seems to learn your driving and adjust. I would reset after 1200 miles and see if it gets better. I'm not sure if 2 wheel drive helps but some people use it if you know it's not snowing. I'm getting 14 in 4w auto with constant remote starts 1500 miles.

I have always had the Eco feature on so that is not a factor. I'll use the remote start a few days a week but it's only on for a couple of minutes before I drive off. So I don't know how much of an impact that is making in the overall mpg.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.7 hemis in the charger and challenger do not activate their VVT systems until 3,000 miles to allow for the break in the CPU is set for. No official report has stated this for the rams but I would imagine they are the same. my first 2,000 miles or so I was getting 14 city 19 highway. After a few more days (from my last calculation) i am still averaging 16.5 city but by hand calculating 22.4 highway on 89 octane. My quad cab is the lightest configuration you can get in 4x4 with the hemi, no moonroof or off roading gear. If i remote start and let run the numbers drop considerably. The quad cab is 100-200 pounds lighter than the crew cab depending on configuration while the rebel with off road is considerably heavier than the laramie on duelers.

Interesting thought but my mileage has not changed from when I bought the truck (160 miles) to today (5175 miles)...

Been using 91 gas from Costco for the last 4 tanks... the most recent tank was 16.4mpg... best was 17.6mpg and that's 20-ish miles of surface roads driving at 5 over (so 50-55mph) to get to work. Haven't been on the highway for a bit but the last tank was about 15mpg.

And no, my truck is not the lightest by any stretch of the imagination...

R1nZX

Reaction score
2019 with 5.7L eTorque, 3.92, and crew cab. Just hit 1,000 miles and my average is 16.3, almost all city driving. I never use remote start.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got to drive some freeway yesterday afternoon at 75 and was shocked to see the instant mileage bounce between 21-22! Not only do I have a heavy version but also have the 3.92 gears and ORG. I'm also on a tank of 87 octane as I play with that.

Now I do have a few variables that are in play. I'm almost at 6k miles and have installed the missing cab to bed seal and have an MX4 tonneau installed.

It was a long, flat stretch of I45 with no wind and light traffic. The last pure highway trip was back closer to 1,000 miles, no seal or tonneau, and I got 16.5 on a ~1,000 trip.
Did you install the cab to bed seal yourself?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have always had the Eco feature on so that is not a factor. I'll use the remote start a few days a week but it's only on for a couple of minutes before I drive off. So I don't know how much of an impact that is making in the overall mpg.

With remote start I get about 12.5 without remote start i get about 16+. It sucks gas and destroys your MPG.

ders0

Reaction score
Yup. I got 9.5 mpg on my last half tank or so hand calculated with Fuelly not even just going off the dashboard. But that was with using remote start through the polar vortex and everything else. So far averaging around 11.5 all together through the first 1600 miles, but I expect that to get better when it's not 0 degrees and winter blend fuel.

Edit: I should also add this is with 4WD Auto on just about all the time, since the weather has been so crappy.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
How many people are using their remote car starter? As long as the truck is running the mpg will go down either sitting in your truck while it runs or the remote starter. during these cold days I warm up my truck 3 times a day and I’m getting 14.3. I reset on my way to and reset again on the way home I’m getting 16.5 on way home and 17.9 going to work. So I know it’s from me using the remote car starter.

Same, the cold weather will also make the truck give you less mpg as well. In the summer I know this truck will be either at 18 to 21mpg.

Mixed drive in below zero and I am getting about 15.5mog

asac12

Reaction score
I'm getting around 11 mpg in my Laramie CC with stock 20" wheels and tires. 70% city and 30% highway. I have about 3,600 miles on it. Really disappointed with the mpg. It is winter with cold temps and snow, so I'm sure I'll see some improvements in the spring/summer.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Glad I’m not the only one..it’ll be interesting to see how much it improves..if at all over the next 1,000 miles.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
It will. I had the same thing and now I am getting about 15.5mpg in the winter in Minnesota here. And this is at 4k miles and the hemi is still breaking in so it's still improving

Tommy R

Reaction score
I sure hope my fuel sponge of a truck starts breaking in soon, too! :)

RAMDJ

Reaction score
Coming from a 2015 Mini Cooper S that got 40mpgs in 'green' mode and 25mpgs when I got on it in 'sport' mode. My Rebel getting 14mpg after just about 500 miles is...entertaining for me. I knew with a 5.7L V8 Hemi off road truck it wasn't going to be stellar so wasn't too surprised. Do I care? Sure, be nice if it got a little more to save some $$$.

BUT my mini can't haul my kayaks or pontoon boat and all the accessories that come with that. On top of that, I could add camping gear, bicycles, camera equipment (nature photographer), fishing gear, and maybe even an ATV (on top of diamondback topper) while hauling the kayaks or pontoon. I will deal with the 14mpgs.

Another note, I still have the Mini for when I get that wild hair to take a corner at 60mph that is rated for 35 or when I want to save a buck on gas. Heck, when I want to hit up some mountain roads, I could roll the mini on an auto trailer behind the rebel and take it to NC or SC for the weekend (minis on the dragon)!

So with that....I will deal with the 14mpgs with a big grin on my face as I haul my toys! :love:

Users who are viewing this thread