5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.2 MPG after first 1,000 miles

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am getting 2.5-2.8MPG better than my Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 3.92 with just MDS. Differences between the two are 1. This new Truck is 140Lbs heavier 2. The new truck has e-torque 3. The new truck has a different body style and Air Suspension 4. The New truck is 8 Speed and the old was 6 Speed Transmission. I drive about 2,600 miles a month so the math difference from 14.2 to 16.7 MPG at 2600 miles a month is a savings of 27.4 Gallons of Gas at $2.35 is $64.39 You can also follow this in my other thread where I did the math and e-torque pays for itself in 28-35 months of ownership depending on your driving habits and your trucks configuration. It is a great investment for those who own their trucks longer than 3 years.

Ok but you can't say eTorque pays for itself when comparing to a truck that is A: a completely different body style and powertrain, and B: never offered eTorque.

(No idea what your other thread is off the top of my head, so maybe that's not what you're saying over there? I'll cruise around and try to find it)

DivrGuy

Reaction score
Bought from dealer in winter haven FL, drove back to sun city FL, mostly 55-60 mph. Currently on my way north to NC with wife 2 kids, and a bed full of luggage/storage stuff, driving 65-75 mph and averaging 17.8.
Wow...that’s great. I bought mine in Jacksonville FL, drove home to Thomasville, GA. I-10 and I-75 at 70 mph most of the way, then 65 for the last 40 miles. I averaged 16.4. When I would speed up to 75-80, it would drop to 15.

alangsam

Reaction score
Not sure what to say. Mine is fantastic. Laramie crew non etorque. This was in the summer when i got it. Anyone expecting top mileage in the winter is crazy. I usually lose at least 3mpg when winter blend and the cold hits.

How was your AC performance in the hot summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerry

Reaction score
Hi Jerry that’s great mileage. What is you configuration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19 Ram Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 with E-lockers.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 26

foghorn17

Reaction score
I cannot argue with anyone else on what they experienced. I can tell you that I just completed a ten year run of 5 different 3.5 ecoboost vehicles. Not one of them ever came close to hitting their sticker mileage. I can see already that the Ram is going to meet the sticker mileage. The 3.5 eco boost is an incredible motor that I did not have a single issue with for any of the five vehicles I owned with it. I never was satisfied with the mileage, which did not matter as much as it would have if I did not think the motor was amazing in every other regard. I cannot speak first hand to the GM trucks, but I can read my friends gauges and hear their comments. My truck is not even broken in and I am satisfied with the mileage. What I was hoping for with the etorque and the 3:21's is what I am getting.
First post. I am currently driving a '17 GMC Denali. It is a lease and I'll be moving on in a few months. For the first time ever I'm taking a hard look @ Ram. I drove a '19 Big Horn about a month ago. Very nice! I've been a GM truck guy basically for 20 years. One thing they have excelled in, in my experience, is gas mileage. Ram did an outstanding job on its redesign, leaving GM in the dust as far as I am concerned, BUT gas mileage is a consideration. NO I'm not expecting Prius numbers, but don't want to go backward from where I'm at. I live in rural mountains of NC; 5.3 L with 8-speed, 3.42 gearing. Typical drive to work is about 10 miles one way. Winter mileage runs around 19.1 and summer 20.5. It's one thing GM got right with their 5.3 Hoping I could get close with the Ram. Thanks to all for the info in this thread.

Zinger

Reaction score
First post. I am currently driving a '17 GMC Denali. It is a lease and I'll be moving on in a few months. For the first time ever I'm taking a hard look @ Ram. I drove a '19 Big Horn about a month ago. Very nice! I've been a GM truck guy basically for 20 years. One thing they have excelled in, in my experience, is gas mileage. Ram did an outstanding job on its redesign, leaving GM in the dust as far as I am concerned, BUT gas mileage is a consideration. NO I'm not expecting Prius numbers, but don't want to go backward from where I'm at. I live in rural mountains of NC; 5.3 L with 8-speed, 3.42 gearing. Typical drive to work is about 10 miles one way. Winter mileage runs around 19.1 and summer 20.5. It's one thing GM got right with their 5.3 Hoping I could get close with the Ram. Thanks to all for the info in this thread.

If gas mileage is your primary factor of truck happiness, you're most likely going to be unhappy with a Ram. There are a half dozen mileage threads on this forum, with the general consensus being disappointment. It's a great truck for many other reasons but mileage is not one of them. Go read some more threads and DON'T expect miracles.

Lstucken

Reaction score
I currently have 1300 miles on my 2019 crew cab 3.92 rear and average 16.8 in town to and from work. On a trip from Omah to Kansas City, it got 20 mpg to KC and 16 going back to Omaha.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok but you can't say eTorque pays for itself when comparing to a truck that is A: a completely different body style and powertrain, and B: never offered eTorque.

(No idea what your other thread is off the top of my head, so maybe that's not what you're saying over there? I'll cruise around and try to find it)

True and good point. The better way to put it would have been that e-torque, 8 speed transmission compared to 6 speed, new body Aerodynamics, and Air Ride lowering drag at Highway speeds are saving me ~$64 a month over my Ram 1500 that didn't have those features. Also, those new features that Ram has put R&D into developing are resulting in a ~15% fuel economy gain even though it is a heavier truck (5840 lbs comp to 5480 lbs scale weight, Same 5.7 Hemi MDS, 4x4, gear ratio, and driver). With the smoother super quiet ride, bigger cab, plush interior, tech galore, and more payload and towing capacity this truck has made me one very happy camper.

Last edited:

rmw

Reaction score
Currently at 900 miles 14.7 mpg per Ram computer, 13.9 mpg actual calculation. No towing, mixed driving on CA 89 octane gas. Love the truck so far but had hoped to get a little closer to the EPA sticker MPG rating. Really glad I got the 33 gal. tank!

Stang218

Reaction score
I've been trolling this thread since I ordered my Ram, and honestly it made me almost regret my order. But am glad I continued on with the purchase.

I've received my truck now and it isn't anywhere close to being broken in. I only have 200 miles on the clock. But I am happy to report my mileage is climbing, and I am loving the driving experience.

Mileage AVG was 16.1 when I picked the truck up. As of this morning I have climbed to 19.5. I expect it to climb higher before settling. I drive 40 miles to the office each day round trip. Half country roads. Half interstate.

Truck is a 2019 V6 Etorque with 3.55 gears.

Users who are viewing this thread