5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.2 MPG after first 1,000 miles

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
TFL did a very long loop, comparing Ford to Ram to Chevy -- RAM was by far off by the highest % point -- watch the video here:

Obviously this is just one test, but it seems to be a good representation of what is going on

the sticker mpg is for the most commonly configured model. Cant compare that to the Rebel which is lifted, 3.92, 4x4, off road tires, all of which is going to reduce mpg from a basic 4x2, 3.21, street tires, not lifted which the sticker is rated on. Not practical to have testing for every single configuration of truck.

alangsam

Reaction score
TFL did a very long loop, comparing Ford to Ram to Chevy -- RAM was by far off by the highest % point -- watch the video here:

Obviously this is just one test, but it seems to be a good representation of what is going on

It’s not good when the ram was so far off the sticker and the other 2 were right on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackham

Reaction score
Another MPG thread, another chance for me to relive my disappointment LOL...

I'm in a '19 Limited 3.92 w/ 22" rims and OEM tires. 90% city driving, 10% hwy/fwy. Drive smoothly, no hard stops or starts, no deactivating the MDS. Closing in on 7000 miles, using premium fuel.

I'm at ~12 MPG roughly.

I've recently OVERINFLATED my tires by a bit--door sticker recommends 35 psi, I took it up to 38 psi. Seems to have made an improvement, I'm now seeing ~.3 MPG more. Small sample size, only ~200 miles so far.

I'll also be using regular fuel to see what that does. And I just purchased a aFE CAI to hopefully eek out ~1 or 2 MPH more...
The problem with such posts is the lack of info. i.e. have you ever done manual check to see if your computer is out of wack?

Jackham

Reaction score
I am very happy with my e-torque engine and better body Aerodynamics. I am saving a little over $63 a month in fuel expenses compared to my prior 3.92 gear 1500 5.7 4x4 with only MDS. View attachment 21116
And here you go. You are more the average yet we log in less. Always the guys getting 12 mpg. I think these guys are poor drivers. But what do I know.

Mechaero19

Reaction score
2019 Laramie with 3.92 gears. I'm getting 11.5. But I have not reset. I also remote start the truck every morning. If I cruise on the high at 60mph, I get about 22-30mpg. If there is no stop and go on local roads and cruise at 40 I get about 30mpg.

machz

Reaction score
19 rebel average over 1500 miles is 16.3 calculated. I figure as the weather warms up it will get a little better. 90% of my driving is on 40 mph back roads.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Friday update (fill up day). 16 mpg, a whole mpg improvement over last week, despite even worse traffic this week on my commutes.

Just crossed 3000 miles this week. Temperatures between 35-70 (mornings vs evenings, thanks a lot Virginia!). This is a great increase to me, nearly a full MPG improvement over last week. I truly believe the more these engines break in, the better they will achieve. My Jeep wasn't getting great mileage until about 20k, same Hemi.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But what do I know.

You know nothing because you don't even have your truck...

I am very happy with my e-torque engine and better body Aerodynamics. I am saving a little over $63 a month in fuel expenses compared to my prior 3.92 gear 1500 5.7 4x4 with only MDS. View attachment 21116

You're getting FIVE mpg more than your old truck? What's the math on this?

Last edited:

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm very disappointed at the gas mileage I am getting on my new truck. This is with me driving fairly conservatively with about 75% being city driving without hauling or towing anything. This is a far cry from the 22/19/17 Ram states for this vehicle.

I'd like to see others post their first 1,000 miles and see how it compares.

View attachment 15342
I get the same MPG as well. I still get completely baffled when I see others post that their averaging 15, 16, 17 MPG. when i set my cruise control @ 70-75mph on highway my mpg is around 13

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same, the cold weather will also make the truck give you less mpg as well. In the summer I know this truck will be either at 18 to 21mpg.

Mixed drive in below zero and I am getting about 15.5mog
I never even thought to factor in remote start up. I remote start my truck 85% of the time.

alangsam

Reaction score
the sticker mpg is for the most commonly configured model. Cant compare that to the Rebel which is lifted, 3.92, 4x4, off road tires, all of which is going to reduce mpg from a basic 4x2, 3.21, street tires, not lifted which the sticker is rated on. Not practical to have testing for every single configuration of truck.

Except ford and Chevy did self rate their lifted 4.10 geared 4x4 with off road tires accurately. Ram chose not to. To me that’s deceptive.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know nothing because you don't even have you're truck...

You're getting FIVE mpg more than your old truck? What's the math on this?

I am getting 2.5-2.8MPG better than my Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 3.92 with just MDS. Differences between the two are 1. This new Truck is 140Lbs heavier 2. The new truck has e-torque 3. The new truck has a different body style and Air Suspension 4. The New truck is 8 Speed and the old was 6 Speed Transmission. I drive about 2,600 miles a month so the math difference from 14.2 to 16.7 MPG at 2600 miles a month is a savings of 27.4 Gallons of Gas at $2.35 is $64.39 You can also follow this in my other thread where I did the math and e-torque pays for itself in 28-35 months of ownership depending on your driving habits and your trucks configuration. It is a great investment for those who own their trucks longer than 3 years.

Last edited:

machz

Reaction score
I never even thought to factor in remote start up. I remote start my truck 85% of the time.

That could be several MPG right there. 0 MPG does a number on your average.

DivrGuy

Reaction score
First trip home from the dealership yesterday! Granted not too long and it’s the computer but I’m content so far. View attachment 21226
So this really surprises me. According to your signature, you have a Laramie Crew Cab non-etorque hemi 4x4 ORP 3.92 gears. So mechanically the same setup as my Rebel, except for the tires/wheels. Did you buy your truck from a dealer in the mountains and then coast home? I have never seen 19.5 mpg, even under perfect conditions. One trip I was driving along at 60 mph on a perfectly flat road, about 70 degrees, along the coast with no wind and I was showing 18 on the instant mpg, with occasional flickers of 19. But I've never seen 19.5, let alone average it on any trip.
I know the Duratracs on the Rebel are more aggressive tread and heavier than the other stock tires. One of my wheel/tire's weighs 83 lbs. Anyone ever weigh the tire/wheel combo for the Laramie or Limited?

Last edited:

Creep0321

Reaction score
So this really surprises me. According to your signature, you have a Laramie Crew Cab non-etorque hemi 4x4 ORP 3.92 gears. So mechanically the same setup as my Rebel, except for the tires/wheels. Did you buy your truck from a dealer in the mountains and then coast home? I have never seen 19.5 mpg, even under perfect conditions. One trip I was driving along at 60 mph on a perfectly flat road, about 70 degrees, along the coast with no wind and I was showing 18 on the instant mpg, with occasional flickers of 19. But I've never seen 19.5, let alone average it on any trip.
I know the Duratracs on the Rebel are more aggressive tread and heavier than the other stock tires. One of my wheel/tire's weighs 83 lbs. Anyone ever weigh the tire/wheel combo for the Laramie or Limited?
Bought from dealer in winter haven FL, drove back to sun city FL, mostly 55-60 mph. Currently on my way north to NC with wife 2 kids, and a bed full of luggage/storage stuff, driving 65-75 mph and averaging 17.8.

alangsam

Reaction score
Bought from dealer in winter haven FL, drove back to sun city FL, mostly 55-60 mph. Currently on my way north to NC with wife 2 kids, and a bed full of luggage/storage stuff, driving 65-75 mph and averaging 17.8.

Agressive tires will shave 1-2mpg vs all seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online