5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0-60 Time with the 5.7L and 3.92 axle

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Hey all, figured I've posted on enough threads now to comfortably make my own. Since I am at 1100+ miles now, beyond the recommended break-in, I felt it was safe to do a proper wide open throttle acceleration run.

I couldn't find any 0-60 videos that were for-certain running a 3.92 axle ratio before buying my truck, so hopefully this video helps those on the fence deciding on a gear ratio. I was fairly impressed! I did a few tries with the stopwatch just to get a consistent range, and was getting times between 5.85 and 6 seconds - not bad at all for a 5300lbs crew cab!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, figured I've posted on enough threads now to comfortably make my own. Since I am at 1100+ miles now, beyond the recommended break-in, I felt it was safe to do a proper wide open throttle acceleration run.

I couldn't find any 0-60 videos that were for-certain running a 3.92 axle ratio before buying my truck, so hopefully this video helps those on the fence deciding on a gear ratio. I was fairly impressed! I did a few tries with the stopwatch just to get a consistent range, and was getting times between 5.85 and 6 seconds - not bad at all for a 5300lbs crew cab!

I’m impressed that yours only weighs 5,300 lb...lol. Sitting at >6,000 here!

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Wow! Very impressive!! I also have the 3.92 gear but only 200 miles on the odometer. Can't wait to run it hard in a few hundred miles.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Under 6 seconds is fast!
My 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost with 10 speed still felt faster than my 19 Ram though?? Not that it is super important of course.

Haha, that 3.5 should definitely be quicker! I think those are around 5.7 to 60 or even a tad better than that. Definitely quick trucks. I looked at all three over the past six months - Silverado with 6.2L, F150 with 5.0 and 3.5, then finally the RAM.

Silverado just felt old, and the Ford dealer wouldn’t play ball with me on the numbers. Very happy with the RAM so far though!

runamuck

Reaction score
mine is at 5960# with me (225#) and 1/2 tank of fuel.

acour765

Reaction score
Haha, that 3.5 should definitely be quicker! I think those are around 5.7 to 60 or even a tad better than that. Definitely quick trucks. I looked at all three over the past six months - Silverado with 6.2L, F150 with 5.0 and 3.5, then finally the RAM.

Silverado just felt old, and the Ford dealer wouldn’t play ball with me on the numbers. Very happy with the RAM so far though!
Good choice. I actually just sold my 2018 5.0 F-150 because I was tired of dealing with issues on it. A big issue was the 10 speed transmission - I think Ford pushed that out before they had the quirks and software challenges figured out.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Hat break in

uh..... what break in. Nobody at my dealership said anything about a break in period.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Actually, I think the fastest overall truck (excluding specialty models) is the F150 2.7L Ecoboost. I don't think I've ever seen a test where the 2.7L has ever lost to either 3.5L or 5.0L Ford motors or even the 6.2L GM when tested at the same time.

I will admit, my old 2.7L Ecoboost definitely felt a bit faster than my Hemi, but my 5.7L is still plenty quick and sounds a lot better. Very very happy with my Rebel.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow! Very impressive!! I also have the 3.92 gear but only 200 miles on the odometer. Can't wait to run it hard in a few hundred miles.
As per the manual, they recommend you do some brief full throttle while at cruising speed, but avoid high-load low gear full throttle until 300 miles. So no stop light full throttle runs, but good to do full throttle burst at cruising speeds, say 40 mph - 60 mph runs.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I think the fastest overall truck (excluding specialty models) is the F150 2.7L Ecoboost. I don't think I've ever seen a test where the 2.7L has ever lost to either 3.5L or 5.0L Ford motors or even the 6.2L GM when tested at the same time.

I will admit, my old 2.7L Ecoboost definitely felt a bit faster than my Hemi, but my 5.7L is still plenty quick and sounds a lot better. Very very happy with my Rebel.

TFLTruck drag raced the Fords and stock vs stock, the 2.7 ran faster than the 3.5 in 0-60. 6.15s vs 6.32s. Not sure what rear ends they each had, though.

They ran them all in 4WD, too.

@HKP7PSP Did you do your runs in 2WD or 4WD?

If the Hemi with a 3.92 is getting under 6 seconds, in 2WD, then it sounds like it should dust off any stock Ford (except a 3.5 HO) - i.e. Raptor or the new Limited) in a 0-60 race.

blownout1500

Reaction score
TFLTruck drag raced the Fords and stock vs stock, the 2.7 ran faster than the 3.5 in 0-60. 6.15s vs 6.32s. Not sure what rear ends they each had, though.

If the Hemi with a 3.92 is getting under 6 seconds, in 2WD, then it sounds like it should dust off any stock Ford (except a 3.5 HO) - i.e. Raptor or the new Limited) in a 0-60 race.

FYI I think TFL runs them at altitude in CO(?).

blownout1500

Reaction score

My butt dyno has a tie for the Ford 3.5 EB and the Ram 5.7 Hemi, so went Ram because of the bigger cabin and better price. Pretty stoked on the decision still. The 6.2 GM is the only one I didn’t drive. Kinda wonder about that still.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score

I had it in 4auto, anything over half throttle off the line will just spin for me in 2wd. :LOL:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My butt dyno has a tie for the Ford 3.5 EB and the Ram 5.7 Hemi, so went Ram because of the bigger cabin and better price. Pretty stoked on the decision still. The 6.2 GM is the only one I didn’t drive. Kinda wonder about that still.
That’s a great engine...no doubt about it. I wrote that it was the most fun truck to drive in my back-to-back-to-back comparison. But like you said, Ram offers the complete package!

blownout1500

Reaction score
That’s a great engine...no doubt about it. I wrote that it was the most fun truck to drive in my back-to-back-to-back comparison. But like you said, Ram offers the complete package!

That’s a terrific comparisson article! Should have clarified that the hemi I test drive was also 3.92, which helped it sit level with the F-150 3.5 EB. I was coming from a super wimpy 3rd gen Tacoma, so torque-ey gearing was definitely on my radar!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, y'all got me curious. I downloaded 2 apps for my phone that will both record stuff like 0-60. Torque Pro, and Drag Racer.

Drag Racer uses GPS to calculate your times.

I believe Torque Pro uses the inertial sensors in the phone to measure acceleration, to then calculate times.

Torque Pro will also interface to a Bluetooth OBD2 module, but I don't have one of those (yet - it's ordered).

I went out and played with them a little bit. The best time I recorded was 8.5 seconds 0-60. That was in Drag Racer, with:

Hemi w/eTorque
In 4WD High
Traction Control off
Start/Stop off

But, I'm not trusting any of it too much, yet. I thought the best was actually 6.5, but Drag Racer is currently showing a best of 8.5. But, it also didn't actually save any of my runs like I thought it was supposed to. So, maybe I did see a 6.5, but it didn't save it. It seems to want me to do a full "race" before it records things, and I'm not sure yet exactly what it thinks a full race is. 1/8 mile? 1/4 mile? Something else? I don't know.

I think the real test will be once I receive the OBDLink MX+ that I ordered today. That will log the vehicle's actual speed that is coming from the OBD data (both, actual speed and the speedometer-reported speed, which apparently can be different).

I'm not sure how much I really trust an app that relies on GPS data to calculate times. I don't know how fast (or accurate) the GPS in my phone (a Samsung Note 8) actually is.

One thing I AM pretty sure about. If a Ford 5.0 will run 0-60 in 6.something, then my Hemi will, too. So, I am pretty doubtful about that 8.5...

Users who are viewing this thread