5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0-60 Time with the 5.7L and 3.92 axle

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Well, y'all got me curious. I downloaded 2 apps for my phone that will both record stuff like 0-60. Torque Pro, and Drag Racer.

Drag Racer uses GPS to calculate your times.

I believe Torque Pro uses the inertial sensors in the phone to measure acceleration, to then calculate times.

Torque Pro will also interface to a Bluetooth OBD2 module, but I don't have one of those (yet - it's ordered).

I went out and played with them a little bit. The best time I recorded was 8.5 seconds 0-60. That was in Drag Racer, with:

Hemi w/eTorque
In 4WD High
Traction Control off
Start/Stop off

But, I'm not trusting any of it too much, yet. I thought the best was actually 6.5, but Drag Racer is currently showing a best of 8.5. But, it also didn't actually save any of my runs like I thought it was supposed to. So, maybe I did see a 6.5, but it didn't save it. It seems to want me to do a full "race" before it records things, and I'm not sure yet exactly what it thinks a full race is. 1/8 mile? 1/4 mile? Something else? I don't know.

I think the real test will be once I receive the OBDLink MX+ that I ordered today. That will log the vehicle's actual speed that is coming from the OBD data (both, actual speed and the speedometer-reported speed, which apparently can be different).

I'm not sure how much I really trust an app that relies on GPS data to calculate times. I don't know how fast (or accurate) the GPS in my phone (a Samsung Note 8) actually is.

One thing I AM pretty sure about. If a Ford 5.0 will run 0-60 in 6.something, then my Hemi will, too. So, I am pretty doubtful about that 8.5...
If anything, the speedometer and related components are probably slower than actual rate of acceleration. My Grand Cherokee had the same engine but with 360hp and 390ft/lbs compared to our 395/410, and was able to do 6 seconds with 3.09’s and same transmission. Vehicles weigh similarly as well (the Summit I had was heavy).

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe the RAM Hemi is at 5.9 - 6.5 range 0-60 in magazine testing (Rebel w/ 33" tires at the lower range), its up there with the faster full size truck test times, or course dependent on axle ratio and configuration.

About the same range as the Ford 5.0L & GM 6.2L. Not quite as quick as the Ford 2.7L and 3.5L, but very few trucks are, and those engines sound like Honda Accords.

I came from a very quick Ecoboost 2.7L with I loved & adored, but something about a big V8 which still pretty quick, but sounds better than any other out there.

acour765

Reaction score
I believe the RAM Hemi is at 5.9 - 6.5 range 0-60 in magazine testing (Rebel w/ 33" tires at the lower range), its up there with the faster full size truck test times, or course dependent on axle ratio and configuration.

About the same range as the Ford 5.0L & GM 6.2L. Not quite as quick as the Ford 2.7L and 3.5L, but very few trucks are, and those engines sound like Honda Accords.

I came from a very quick Ecoboost 2.7L with I loved & adored, but something about a big V8 which still pretty quick, but sounds better than any other out there.
And...from talking with some Ford techs, the ecoboosts tend to start having their turbos go out at 80k miles...only a $5k fix

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And...from talking with some Ford techs, the ecoboosts tend to start having their turbos go out at 80k miles...only a $5k fix

Good reason to switch right :) Though I knew a couple of guys with high mileage Ecoboost without an issue.

But to be fair, just come to find however there is some issues with 5.7L, specifically roller pin bearings causing flat spotting on camshaft, even on late model low mileage Hemis. Hopefully that was fixed prior to current gen.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received my ODBLink and have it hooked up and working with TorqueShift Pro.

I will do some 0-60 runs. But, as I have no drag racing experience, anyone got a recipe for the best times?

- Start/Stop off

- in 4WD Hi

- Tow/Haul mode on or off?

- A/C off? Does this matter?

- hit the button to put it in 1st gear and manually upshift through the run? Or just let the auto tranny do its thing?

- Mat the gas simultaneously with letting off the brake?

- Or, hold the brake on hard, give it 1/2 throttle or so, then mat the gas and let off the brake? I don't want to abuse my torque convert or tranny too badly...

blownout1500

Reaction score
I received my ODBLink and have it hooked up and working with TorqueShift Pro.

I will do some 0-60 runs. But, as I have no drag racing experience, anyone got a recipe for the best times?

- Start/Stop off

- in 4WD Hi

- Tow/Haul mode on or off?

- A/C off? Does this matter?

- hit the button to put it in 1st gear and manually upshift through the run? Or just let the auto tranny do its thing?

- Mat the gas simultaneously with letting off the brake?

- Or, hold the brake on hard, give it 1/2 throttle or so, then mat the gas and let off the brake? I don't want to abuse my torque convert or tranny too badly...

Hunch is that matting the gas will not give the best response... it seems to want to march through a preset pattern of premature upshifts that happen way before max powerband in each gear. Butt dyno has had best result with a slow push on skinny pedal that steadily increases in pressure until it’s on the floor. It’s almost like you’ve got to “surprise” the PCM with a non-linear throttle input to keep it in each gear long enough to reach the poweband. Maybe it’s just me tho...

Gemlin

Reaction score
I traded my F150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost for a 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 hemi. I will have to say by seat of pants feel, the 3.5l ecoboost would out accelerate the Ram from a dead stop. From a 30mph punch I think they'd be very close.

I got the ram because they just appealed to me. Plus I had total break failure on the F150 where the master cylinder blows the rear seal and dumps all the fluid into the booster. I had to argue with Ford for a week before they replaced it under warranty. Look it up, its a common problem.

Ram just had the better truck in my opinion. I didnt buy it to race..

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I had the 392 6.4 in the Scatpack in my 19 ram with this 392 gear. That 6.4 485 hp scatpack hauls ***!! Had many 5.0 Stangs think they would leave the heavey MOPAR behind and they got stung bad...lol...especially in Track mode.

Users who are viewing this thread