5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Dual function” tailgate exists

saxapl

Reaction score
Boy I am hoping the topper I ordered works. I assume it will as the only impact should be where the clamps can be used to hold it in place.

Certainly the tonneau companies will come up with solutions shortly.

LouCap

Reaction score
Boy I am hoping the topper I ordered works. I assume it will as the only impact should be where the clamps can be used to hold it in place.

Certainly the tonneau companies will come up with solutions shortly.
Please let us know. I'm noodling on how I can make the Mopar bed cover work before I move on to the Truxedo Sentry. I'm sure RAM will come up with a solution at some point, but I kind of need that bed security sooner rather than later.

saxapl

Reaction score
Loucap, you are immortalized on the front page...well your tailgate is anyways.

What is it like to be famous?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
So. If it's true what someone stated earlier in this thread that it looks like the main differences are the front corner bed bolsters and longer latching bolts, has anyone put together a retrofit kit for this tailgate yet?
Or tried to fit the split tailgate and frame in place of the standard tailgate?

Steve

LouCap

Reaction score
Loucap, you are immortalized on the front page...well your tailgate is anyways.

What is it like to be famous?
Hahahaha! More like infamous!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

saxapl

Reaction score
So. If it's true what someone stated earlier in this thread that it looks like the main differences are the front corner bed bolsters and longer latching bolts, has anyone put together a retrofit kit for this tailgate yet?

Steve

I do not have another Ram to try it with, but to my eye those are the only mechanical differences. There ate obviously wiring differences as there is a second tailgate latch and when the barn doors are open the bed lights come on. I have not check to see if the tailgate open warning comes on in the cab if you try to drive away.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Steve

Ram has already stated that a retrofit would be a non-starter project just due to the wiring involved, never mind that the bed structure is different as well. It's not just the corner braces up front, there's more to it than meets the eye.

Last edited:

LouCap

Reaction score
I do not have another Ram to try it with, but to my eye those are the only mechanical differences. There ate obviously wiring differences as there is a second tailgate latch and when the barn doors are open the bed lights come on. I have not check to see if the tailgate open warning comes on in the cab if you try to drive away.
The tailgate warning light in the can does come on if not latched properly. It's already happened to me once!

saxapl

Reaction score
The tailgate warning light in the can does come on if not latched properly. It's already happened to me once!

Boy, they thought of everything.

stevj

Reaction score
Ram has already stated that a retrofit would be a non-starter project just due to the wiring involved, never mind that the bed structure is different as well. It's not just the corner braces up from, there's more to it than meets the eye.
I know what RAM states and that there will be the inevitable wiring and structural differences.
My question remains: Has anyone tried to fit the split tailgate and frame in place of the standard tailgate?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know if will physically fit and mechanically function.
Just takes a couple owners willing to take one for the team and spend some time test swapping and taking notes.

Steve

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My question remains: Has anyone tried to fit the split tailgate and frame in place of the standard tailgate?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know if will physically fit and mechanically function.
Just takes a couple owners willing to take one for the team and spend some time test swapping and taking notes.

Yeah, but, it won't function... You won't be able to cycle the tailgate handle, as it's electronic...

Even IF it somehow mounts in place, which I'm sure it physically will fit, but mounting / installing is a different story, you won't be able to use it. You'd close the gate and then it would be stuck on someone else's truck...

Unless I'm missing something.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I'm getting an ARE cap installed on my regular bed 2019 in a couple of weeks, I'm going to show the dealer photos of the braces at the back of the split tailgate bed and see what he thinks of what any issues might be with caps, covers, etc.

saxapl

Reaction score
I'm getting an ARE cap installed on my regular bed 2019 in a couple of weeks, I'm going to show the dealer photos of the braces at the back of the split tailgate bed and see what he thinks of what any issues might be with caps, covers, etc.

Same for me. My ARE dealer said the only issue with the topper will be the clamp locations which are flexible.

LouCap

Reaction score
I can tell you that any bed cover that requires rails to be installed to be flush mounted will not work. I have looked at many, and those braces will Charlie Bravo all of them. The ONLY one I think might work is the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 because it sits on top of the bed rails and the front clamps are 16" back from the cab (according to Extang). The ONLY issue, might be the spring clamps they use at the rear because I have the Bed Utility Group and that's yet another set of rails to do with.

To be honest, the fact that we have to wonder about any of this is quite frustrating. The dealers know nothing, and RAM customer service knows nothing. I've been waiting for a call back from RAM since last Wednesday about this, and I've sent a message to @RamCares in this forum...and nothing. I love the tailgate, I think it's worth the $1,000, but dang it, someone needs to know something about those braces and their impact on covers and toppers!

LouCap

Reaction score
I can tell you that any bed cover that requires rails to be installed to be flush mounted will not work. I have looked at many, and those braces will Charlie Bravo all of them. The ONLY one I think might work is the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 because it sits on top of the bed rails and the front clamps are 16" back from the cab (according to Extang). The ONLY issue, might be the spring clamps they use at the rear because I have the Bed Utility Group and that's yet another set of rails to do with.

To be honest, the fact that we have to wonder about any of this is quite frustrating. The dealers know nothing, and RAM customer service knows nothing. I've been waiting for a call back from RAM since last Wednesday about this, and I've sent a message to @RamCares in this forum...and nothing. I love the tailgate, I think it's worth the $1,000, but dang it, someone needs to know something about those braces and their impact on covers and toppers!

Oh, and the Diamondback would probably work too because it mounts in the middle of the bed. But, you can't access the majority of the bed without completely removing it, so no go for me.

stevj

Reaction score
Yeah, but, it won't function... You won't be able to cycle the tailgate handle, as it's electronic...

Even IF it somehow mounts in place, which I'm sure it physically will fit, but mounting / installing is a different story, you won't be able to use it. You'd close the gate and then it would be stuck on someone else's truck...

Unless I'm missing something.

I am impressed by your enthusiasm and positive outlook about the possibility.

Steve

saxapl

Reaction score
Oh, and the Diamondback would probably work too because it mounts in the middle of the bed. But, you can't access the majority of the bed without completely removing it, so no go for me.

When I had my Diamondback, it folded up in the front and the rear. You could access the majority of the bed. Only the center section was hard mounted. You could actually unhook the struts and fold the entire cover over on top of itself too. The best feature was that, if you had something oversized, you just put it on top as it would hold, literally, a ton.

Not saying it is for you...but I would never own anything else again. Having owned a Bakflip, a hard tonneau, a snap down soft cover, and dealing with numerous other kinds on customer vehicles, this was by far the best. It was the most water tight and the most useful.

If I did not need a topper for this truck, I would already have a Diamondback and the corner braces would not be an issue.

LouCap

Reaction score
When I had my Diamondback, it folded up in the front and the rear. You could access the majority of the bed. Only the center section was hard mounted. You could actually unhook the struts and fold the entire cover over on top of itself too. The best feature was that, if you had something oversized, you just put it on top as it would hold, literally, a ton.

Not saying it is for you...but I would never own anything else again. Having owned a Bakflip, a hard tonneau, a snap down soft cover, and dealing with numerous other kinds on customer vehicles, this was by far the best. It was the most water tight and the most useful.

If I did not need a topper for this truck, I would already have a Diamondback and the corner braces would not be an issue.

Oh, it looks bulletproof! I just envision needing to load something on the spot that's too tall to close the covers and too long to fit with the middle portion of the Diamondback in place.

saxapl

Reaction score
Oh, it looks bulletproof! I just envision needing to load something on the spot that's too tall to close the covers and too long to fit with the middle portion of the Diamondback in place.

Yeah it happens. The thing I liked about it was you could load on top. I hauled a new washer drier for my wife on top. It was pretty convenient with the built in tie downs. Even had ramps and put my ATV on it.

But even I thought there was a better way. After I sold the truck with the diamondback, my next truck had the BakFlip. Huge mistake, terrible top. Never got anything but a Diamondback again...until now.

Now I need the enclosed space of a topper. But I know there are going to be times when I will need to haul things too big for the topper. I will miss the Diamondback then.

Users who are viewing this thread