5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Dual function” tailgate exists

LouCap

Reaction score
Also, when you say the handles on the BUG, what are you referring to? I don't see any difference with the bed utility group.
The Bed Utility Group in my truck has black rails about 1/2 way down the interior sides. Many of the covers that sit on top of the bed use spring loaded handles that need to be pulled down vertically to lock or unlock. The BUG rail in my RAM prevents those from functioning properly. The Gator cover I have uses latches that rotate horizontally to secure the cover, so the BUG rails are not a factor with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a response from ram engineers on the front bracket.

This makes me want to come up with my own that work in conjunction with a tonneau.

Attachments

• EEC78C82-48A6-41E8-A68B-D811B196F3BA.png
    EEC78C82-48A6-41E8-A68B-D811B196F3BA.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 108

LouCap

Reaction score

This makes me want to come up with my own that work in conjunction with a tonneau.
Wow, how did you get that response? I called RAM customer service and spent an hour in the phone with them about this. They were going to call me back after escalating the issue... I'm still waiting for that return call. Even my dealership couldn't get an answer through their connections. RAM needs to get that info out there to the dealers so they can let customers know that this tailgate disqualifies many bed covers and toppers from being used.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, how did you get that response? I called RAM customer service and spent an hour in the phone with them about this. They were going to call me back after escalating the issue... I'm still waiting for that return call. Even my dealership couldn't get an answer through their connections. RAM needs to get that info out there to the dealers so they can let customers know that this tailgate disqualifies many bed covers and toppers from being used.

I filled out a submission online and they emailed me back within an hour...

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did that too...they like you better.

LOL! sorry man.

Check this one out.

I don't really like how high up it sits off the bed rails but it utilizes the bed tracks for fastening.

saxapl

Reaction score

This is interesting as it indicates that the brackets are for when the tailgate is closed. There is no structural support offered by the one piece tailgate when it is open, only stress. What does not make sense is that this comment would mean the brackets are necessary to drive with the tailgate removed completely, which to my knowledge is untrue.

This is curious.

LouCap

Reaction score
LOL! sorry man.

Check this one out.

I don't really like how high up it sits off the bed rails but it utilizes the bed tracks for fastening.

Those rails for the divider are different than the BUG ones, but the issue seems similar. Here is what the Gator looks like installed. It too sits on top of the bedsides, but it's slightly lower profile. It looks like a soft vinyl cover, but there are hard security panels underneath.

Attachments

• Gator Hybrid cover.jpg
    Gator Hybrid cover.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 47

LouCap

Reaction score
This is interesting as it indicates that the brackets are for when the tailgate is closed. There is no structural support offered by the one piece tailgate when it is open, only stress. What does not make sense is that this comment would mean the brackets are necessary to drive with the tailgate removed completely, which to my knowledge is untrue.

This is curious.

Interesting observation...the mystery continues.

saxapl

Reaction score
Interesting observation...the mystery continues.

It just does not make sense that a solid tailgate is an integral part of the torsional strength of a truck bed given it is removable.

LouCap

Reaction score
It just does not make sense that a solid tailgate is an integral part of the torsional strength of a truck bed given it is removable.

Excellent point. I've driven past trucks with the tailgate down many times to accommodate a long load, and nothing ever happened to the beds on those.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent point. I've driven past trucks with the tailgate down many times to accommodate a long load, and nothing ever happened to the beds on those.
Tailgate down is not the same as removed, as you still have some structural stiffness at the hinge point when the tailgate is still attached.

LouCap

Reaction score
Tailgate down is not the same as removed, as you still have some structural stiffness at the hinge point when the tailgate is still attached.
But, the braces live at the top of the bed, not at the bottom where a lowered tailgate would still provide structural stiffness. I would think the only time a tailgate provides stiffness at the top is when it's closed. Also, the bedsides are attached at the bottom the entire length of the bed.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong.

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the point is that a regular tailgate never acts as an additional lever arm on the end of the bed sidewall.

That said, from looking at the pictures, I am pretty skeptical that those short braces up in the front corners really do much of anything to help the opposite end of the bed sidewall.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking of fabbing up some type of bar that crosses across the bed underneath where the flip or roll portion of a tonneau goes. That would essentially provide me with the same type of reinforcement...maybe?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And yet, the bracea live at the top of the bed, not at the bottom where a lowered tailgate would still provide structural stiffness. I would think the only time a tailgate provides stiffness at the top is when it's closed. And, the tailgate is attached at the bottom the entire length of the bed.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong.
I was simply responding to the “tailgate down vs removed” comment. But yes, of course, the tailgate provides no support at the top of the rails when it’s down.

Back on point...

The function of the braces makes perfect sense, as the ability to open the split tailgate via side-mounted hinges can create a rotational moment in the horizontal axis that doesn’t exist with a standard tailgate, coupled with a significant lateral load on the bed sides.

I disagree with the earlier comment that “...the brackets are for when the tailgate is closed.” I don’t read that at all in the FCA engineer’s comments, and I think that’s the least “vulnerable” scenario from a structural standpoint.

Rather, the engineer appears to confirm that the bed sides lack sufficient lateral load capacity to handle these forces without an unacceptable amount of deflection and/or potential fatigue/failure. The braces, while small, add stiffness by reducing the effective length of the bed sides and coupling them to the front of the bed.

(FWIW - my first master’s degree was in structural dynamics. But I could still be wrong.)

Jims380da

Reaction score
is it confirmed that the RAM BOX models do not need the corner brackets?

timtlu

Reaction score
I was simply responding to the “tailgate down vs removed” comment. But yes, of course, the tailgate provides no support at the top of the rails when it’s down.

Back on point...

The function of the braces makes perfect sense, as the ability to open the split tailgate via side-mounted hinges can create a rotational moment in the horizontal axis that doesn’t exist with a standard tailgate, coupled with a significant lateral load on the bed sides.

I disagree with the earlier comment that “...the brackets are for when the tailgate is closed.” I don’t read that at all in the FCA engineer’s comments, and I think that’s the least “vulnerable” scenario from a structural standpoint.

Rather, the engineer appears to confirm that the bed sides lack sufficient lateral load capacity to handle these forces without an unacceptable amount of deflection and/or potential fatigue/failure. The braces, while small, add stiffness by reducing the effective length of the bed sides and coupling them to the front of the bed.

(FWIW - my first master’s degree was in structural dynamics. But I could still be wrong.)
Agreed. Dooes the split tailgate come on long beds too? Has anyone seen one? If so, I'd expect the brackets to be beefier, as the potential lever arm (bed side) would be longer. Or I guess they could have built them for the long bed and put them on both, basically over engineering the short bed, but simplifying the production/assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread