5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Dual function” tailgate exists

saxapl

Reaction score
I don't mind the offset at all. I wish my truck had this tailgate.

I definitely like it better than a 1-pc design like the Ridgeline. I like that you can have the Ram tailgate open without having to have so much room behind you.

I would definitely rather have the offset break than either a split, 2-pc Ram logo in the center, or a Ram logo that is offset.

Yeah, visually you do not see this from a distance on my truck. I think the black blends. Besides, as I age, utility is king. I remember being younger saying I would never own a 4 door because they were visually unappealing. Same with toppers. Now, I have a 4 door truck and an ARE CX ordered for it. Still not a fan of the way toppers look, but utility is king.

LouCap

Reaction score
Yeah, visually you do not see this from a distance on my truck. I think the black blends. Besides, as I age, utility is king. I remember being younger saying I would never own a 4 door because they were visually unappealing. Same with toppers. Now, I have a 4 door truck and an ARE CX ordered for it. Still not a fan of the way toppers look, but utility is king.

This is actually why I was so jazzed to get this tailgate. Crawling over a traditional tailgate is just not as much fun as it used to be, so I've been installing a step and a Bedslide to minimize the need to crawl. With the split tailgate, I can easily reach 1/2 way into the bed or step on the dip in the middle of the bumper for access.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
SAAWEEEET!!

I want one. We are such nerds when we notice things like slack cables lol

saxapl

Reaction score
Decked is in.

Attachments

• 634AC0C9-465F-4EB9-8C3D-58F3E9E223A4.jpeg
    634AC0C9-465F-4EB9-8C3D-58F3E9E223A4.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 146
  • B25B3AF7-F957-4E7B-9F16-7C40DD2600F5.jpeg
    B25B3AF7-F957-4E7B-9F16-7C40DD2600F5.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 146
  • C0C5A663-7C09-438F-B028-BA94D826E1FF.jpeg
    C0C5A663-7C09-438F-B028-BA94D826E1FF.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 143

MLB12

Reaction score
Sooooo, now the crucial question, I wonder if we'll be able to retrofit the DFT to our existing, non-Ram Box, single function tailgate Rams?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sooooo, now the crucial question, I wonder if we'll be able to retrofit the DFT to our existing, non-Ram Box, single function tailgate Rams?

I'll bet you could - and that it would be so expensive that nobody will bother.

Wannabee

Reaction score
Apologies for the lack of quality. The one odd thing is the braces at the front of the bed. I believe they are part of the tailgate package...presumably to stiffen the bedsides when the barn doors are open. No one at the dealer had the answer. I have not seen them before, so I am guessing a tailgate necessity. View attachment 29355 View attachment 29356 View attachment 29357 View attachment 29358 View attachment 29359 View attachment 29360 View attachment 29361 View attachment 29362 View attachment 29363 View attachment 29364
I love your truck

saxapl

Reaction score
I have to admit, that’s a pretty slick set-up.

Yeah, I was not 100% sure the tailgate was going to be important with the decked system, but it is awesome. Rather than having to lean over a tailgate to try to reach the back corners of the drawer, you can stand beside it when only one drawer is open. Extremely convenient.

BGRAM

Reaction score
RamBox equipped trucks do not have the braces at the front of the bed because the thickness that the RamBox bedsides provide enough support for the dual-function tailgate.

All non RamBox equipped trucks with the dual-function tailgate will have the two braces at the front of the bed for extra structural support for the bedsides when the dual-function tailgate is open. So do not remove them. The Mopar factory tonneau will not work, the clamps on those tonneaus will interfere with the braces.

Last edited:

LouCap

Reaction score
RamBox equipped trucks do not have the braces at the front of the bed because the thickness that the RamBox bedsides provide enough support for the dual-function tailgate.

All non RamBox equipped trucks with the dual-function tailgate will have the two braces at the front of the bed for extra structural support for the bedsides when the dual-function tailgate is open. So do not remove them.

The Mopar factory tonneau will work on both beds with no problems, the clamps on those tonneaus wont interfere with the braces, the only issue I see the braces having on the non RamBox equipped trucks is on the aftermarket tops/tonneaus may have mounting point requirements in the general area the support braces are sitting.

I respectfully have to disagree with you. I own a RAM with the Dual Function Tailgate, and I bought the Mopar cover. It will not fit unless you remove the brackets in the non Rambox bed. The side rails cannot be mounted flush to the sides with the brackets in place. I know this because my dealership tried. At the very least, the brackets would have to be loosened so the rails could fit behind them, and even then, you'd have to notch out the bed cover rail so the bracket bolts could remain in place. In addition, the knobs used to secure the bed cover line up exactly with the diagonals on the brackets, so no go there.

MAYBE, if the brackets were flipped (so the diagonal was lower) and the bed cover rails notched to accommodate the bracket bolts, then it might work. I've been looking into this for almost a week now, and after an hour on the phone with RAM last week the best input I could get from customer service was, "we're looking into it, and we'll get back to you." As I posted earlier, the Truxedo Sentry might work with the flipped brackets and no notches, but I'd have to test that.

ramhead

Reaction score
This is actually why I was so jazzed to get this tailgate. Crawling over a traditional tailgate is just not as much fun as it used to be, so I've been installing a step and a Bedslide to minimize the need to crawl. With the split tailgate, I can easily reach 1/2 way into the bed or step on the dip in the middle of the bumper for access.

Agreed, but a $15 fold up stool from Walmart or even an upturned 5 gal bucket can suffice for getting in and out of the bed with the tailgate down and save $$$

LouCap

Reaction score
Agreed, but a $15 fold up stool from Walmart or even an upturned 5 gal bucket can suffice for getting in and out of the bed with the tailgate down and save $$$
True, but that's only half the benefit the Dual Function provides. Without the tailgate in the way, your reach into the bed is vastly improved, and it's easier to load heavy objects without having to reach over the horizontal tailgate. Sure, it's not for everyone and it does cost more, but to me it was worth it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

LouCap

Reaction score
Oh man, I haven't messed with it personally, I would have assumed the engineering team would have made the brackets usable with the factory tonneaus on the non RamBox trucks, what a bummer! I imagine a remedy will be in place soon.

Sorry for the misinformation on that topic!
No worries. It's a learning process with this new tailgates!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, you wrote this:

The Mopar factory tonneau will work on both beds with no problems, the clamps on those tonneaus wont interfere with the braces

When this is the case:

Oh man, I haven't messed with it personally, I would have assumed the engineering team would have made the brackets usable with the factory tonneaus on the non RamBox trucks

Nice.

May I respectfully suggest that you go back and edit your original post so that somebody doesn't come along later, read that post (possibly found via a Google search and not reading the whole thread), get no further, and then do something like buy a factory tonneau cover (or the identical BakFlip) because they "learned" on 5thGenRams that it will work just fine with their corner braces?

ramhead

Reaction score
True, but that's only half the benefit the Dual Function provides. Without the tailgate in the way, your reach into the bed is vastly improved, and it's easier to load heavy objects without having to reach over the horizontal tailgate. Sure, it's not for everyone and it does cost more, but to me it was worth it.

No doubt it's worth it for those who consistently need to load/unload the bed....I should've added in my earlier post that for those, like me, who only occasionally need to access/load the bed the premium for the dual tailgate probably isn't worth it and a stool or bucket would suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread