5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Dual function” tailgate exists

LouCap

Reaction score
Obviously they are structural, right? They are not for looks. The question is what force they are meant to counteract. If they are to counteract additional lateral force on the bedside by someone pushing out on the open doors, which would make the doors a huge lever, I would be comfortable taking them off. Based on what they look like, that is my guess about why they are there.
Yup, I think you're right there. I might just have to check this out. I'm loving this truck, but I need it to work for me. I wonder if a hard bedcover frame would provide any additional support against potential lateral force...hmmm.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Corner brackets on the 2020s too, so they are here to stay. I guess I do not see them as a big deal. Certainly less intrusive than RamBox.

OMG! Watch at exactly 8:00. Look at his right hand. You can that his thumb is pressing against the fender and actually flexing the panel. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Normal, I guess, but it still seemed funny to me.

saxapl

Reaction score
OMG! Watch at exactly 8:00. Look at his right hand. You can that his thumb is pressing against the fender and actually flexing the panel. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Normal, I guess, but it still seemed funny to me.

I think that may be the movement of the reflected tree in the fender based up camera angle or movement of the tree. I am not convinced he is denting the fender. But maybe they should add some corner braces to the front fenders too!

LouCap

Reaction score
I think that may be the movement of the reflected tree in the fender based up camera angle or movement of the tree. I am not convinced he is denting the fender. But maybe they should add some corner braces to the front fenders too!
Now THAT'S funny!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

LouCap

Reaction score
Okay, folks who have the DFT already, does it look like the Truxedo Sentry bedcover would work? Here's a link to it with an installation video...

https://truck-hero.com/truxedo-sentry-ct-truck-bed-cover

The big issue with every other cover I've looked at is they need to clamp at the front to the bed rail, but the brackets are in the way. With this one, they say the rail clamps need to be secured 1' away from the tailgate and bulkhead, which should work. My only concern is if the latch used to secure the front of the top will have clearance with the brackets being so close to the top. Of course, I could flip the brackets over which would have the diagonal on the bottom and would probably give the required clearance.

I know this is a lot, but if you're curious (or bored), maybe take a look. Thanks!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good catch. It was flexing. He's a large man and as long as it goes back into place, should be fine.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay, folks who have the DFT already, does it look like the Truxedo Sentry bedcover would work? Here's a link to it with an installation video...

https://truck-hero.com/truxedo-sentry-ct-truck-bed-cover

The big issue with every other cover I've looked at is they need to clamp at the front to the bed rail, but the brackets are in the way. With this one, they say the rail clamps need to be secured 1' away from the tailgate and bulkhead, which should work. My only concern is if the latch used to secure the front of the top will have clearance with the brackets being so close to the top. Of course, I could flip the brackets over which would have the diagonal on the bottom and would probably give the required clearance.

I know this is a lot, but if you're curious (or bored), maybe take a look. Thanks!

Probably best to give them a call. They are very helpful

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps this is the wrong subforum, but does anybody know if this new tailgate is going to be available on the HD trucks ever?

saxapl

Reaction score
Perhaps this is the wrong subforum, but does anybody know if this new tailgate is going to be available on the HD trucks ever?

One would certainly assume so. But the current HD is using the old bed, right? Maybe it has to wait for the real redesign?

saxapl

Reaction score
Good catch. It was flexing. He's a large man and as long as it goes back into place, should be fine.

Okay, I watched this on my computer to get the video larger. I definitely do not believe he was flexing the fender. It is all optical change.

#Flexgate Conspiracy

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats' weird is that the doors are actually built into a reinforced steel frame at the rear, which is not on any other model with the regular tailgate. So I'm not sure what the braces actually do. My dealership seems to think they're unnecessary and removing them to install a tonneau cover wouldn't do anything. They have reached out to the factory to see what the engineers have to say about that.

I'm thinking along the same line - it seems odd that corner braces at the front of the bed would be of much benefit to the tailgate area. But certainly Ram's structural engineers know more about it than any of us do. I'll be interested to hear the answer from Ram.

Edit (added): Maybe it's a mistake? Is it possible that an assembly-line worker installed the brackets on the wrong truck by accident, or because the build-sheet was wrong? I can see where they might be anchors for installing a tonneau cover or something like that.

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe? I'm just stunned at the lack of communication between the factory and the dealerships. Literally, no one can answer a simple question about them.

Welcome to Ram.

Ram's customer care is absolutely atrocious...you'll never get a straight answer, never get the same answer twice, and as far as my experience with them, they just can't be trusted to give bankable information. Period.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not a fan (visually), and they could have gone the route that Honda Ridgeline took, where the whole tailgate swings out, that way you have a one piece panel.
The offset seam is jut odd in my opinion.

Cheers,

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking along the same line - it seems odd that corner braces at the front of the bed would be of much benefit to the tailgate area. But certainly Ram's structural engineers know more about it than any of us do. I'll be interested to hear the answer from Ram.

Edit (added): Maybe it's a mistake? Is it possible that an assembly-line worker installed the brackets on the wrong truck by accident, or because the build-sheet was wrong? I can see where they might be anchors for installing a tonneau cover or something like that.

Considering the same brackets are clearly shown in videos from TFL and some random dealership (somebody posted it earlier), I'd say they are not a mistake.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a fan (visually), and they could have gone the route that Honda Ridgeline took, where the whole tailgate swings out, that way you have a one piece panel.
The offset seam is jut odd in my opinion.

Cheers,

I don't mind the offset at all. I wish my truck had this tailgate.

I definitely like it better than a 1-pc design like the Ridgeline. I like that you can have the Ram tailgate open without having to have so much room behind you.

I would definitely rather have the offset break than either a split, 2-pc Ram logo in the center, or a Ram logo that is offset.

Users who are viewing this thread